amuck-landowner

What providers do you use?

vpsnewb

Curious what providers everyone here uses.

I currently use RaxWeb for a Hostbill server, though I just canceled it today. Not due to any fault with RaxWeb, VPS was great but I wanted to tinker with Hostbill and the leased license I got required it to be on their IP range. Was a good performing server and Hostbill is pretty slick.

Other than that I have two ServerDragon VPSes that I use. One is used as part of a cPanel DNS only cluster, the other being a personal VPN that I use for SSHuttle (poor man's VPN).

I was using a BuyVM DDoS protected VPS as a VPN, as some nasty individuals seemed to enjoy knocking me offline when on #lowendbox IRC where my IP was displayed. But the I'll be giving this VPS up as it's physically too far away from me to be used as a decent VPN. Uptime and performance is good and the Frantech IRC is always entertaining. I'm also lucky to be able to obtain it when stock was available.

I've also go a couple URPad VPSes that I use for some personal sites/projects and as part of a geographically diverse DNS cluster. All my dev stuff is hosted there.

And last but not least, RocketVPS for my cPanel server. I got a great deal when they were having a promotion months ago and snagged one while I could. It's been performing great and hosts all my projects.

It wouldn't surprise me if I've gotten a VPS or two that I've forgot about that I prepaid for and have never used. I need to get my servers in check!

Last edited by a moderator:

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Well..  surprising I don't have too many Catalyst VPSes.  Only one I use on a daily basis for personal wiki and just my misc server.

I use a Host Virtual Xen VPS (not really a LEB) as my VPN.  Great connection to my home area so basically becomes a no brainer for me.  In addition to that I have two EDIS VPSes as additional backup VPNs.

My SecureDragon VPS holds my monitoring system while my Prometeus VPS holds my ZNC bouncer (also I can help you setup cloaked on your IRC name to prevent your IP from being displayed publicly).  My Hostigation runs my cPanel server while I have a LFCVPS, OpenITC, IPXCore, and BlueVM VPSes running cPanel DNS Only.  

I also have a GetKVM running a public-facing monitoring page.  

Besides for that I have several BlueVM VPS containers that I have as spare backups, two ChicagoVPSes for spare backups, a URPad VPS for spare backup, NodeDeploy KVM running one of my main sites I operate out of, BuyVM 250GB KVM Storage as my backup system, and then several dedicated servers (personal, not catalyst related) for personal uses located in Lenoir, North Carolina (Dacentec), Atlanta, Georgia (Quickpacket), Roubaix, France (Kimsufi), another New York City (Telehouse).  

These are just some of many other VPSes I own and have running here and there for various projects.  Safe to say, I have a problem with servers.  

Coastercraze

Top Thrill
Verified Provider
Currently I have a VPS with WiredTree and KnownHost which I am going to replace the WiredTree one with. WiredTree was great for the year I've been with them, just KnownHost had a nice sale and I added in a few extras which made it worthwhile.

I also have a VPS with Ramhost (not in use). The rest are internally with Host Mist (one acting as a FTB Minecraft server).

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
I've actually never used WiredTree or KnownHost although I've heard great things about KnownHost.  Would you be willing to write a review about one or both of them sometime and let us know how it is?  I'd be pretty interested in it. 

vpsnewb

Just realized I had a PaulVPS still, from Novemeber. A yearly subscription I had literally forgotten about.

Now I use it for a VPN sometimes.

I need to keep better track of my servers... =/

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Just realized I had a PaulVPS still, from Novemeber. A yearly subscription I had literally forgotten about.

Now I use it for a VPN sometimes.

I need to keep better track of my servers... =/
Ha.  I tried to make a spreadsheet of all of my VPSes.

Every now and then I do have those "oh... forgot I had that VPS" moments. 

jarland

The ocean is digital
Man I don't even want to admit how many providers I have a VPS with. But when it comes to real use it narrows pretty heavily to RamNode and BuyVM. BlueVM is creeping in there though.

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
List:

BudgetVM

BuyVM

ComfortHost *

DigitalOcean (on and off, I don't think I have any online there now)

Front Range Hosting

IPXCore (x2)

PremiumVM

RamNode (x3)

Reliable Hosting Services (x2)

ServerDragon

ServerHub

StormVZ (technically Iniz, but I don't like that name)

SwiftVM (sponsored for cheaphttps.info)

URPad (x2) :) *

Versatile IT *

I'm a sucker for cheap yearly VPSes. The starred ones are companies that lured me in with such an offer. I've got a couple of others that I'm testing out for various companies as well, but I don't count those.

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
BudgetVM has great prices and I like them for that (my main box with my regular public-facing websites is with them), but I don't like the "corporate" feel they exude. Also, both VPSes I have ordered from them have had IPv6 troubles to start. Worked out eventually, but they really need to figure that out more quickly.

Awmusic12635

Verified Provider
Well lets see. I have a ton from Fliphost (Obviously).

3 x Hostigation

2 x Flipper Host

1 x Front Range Hosting

shovenose

Verified Provider
Obviously I have a ton of ShoveHost VPS, but I also have some CatalystHost, some ChicagoVPS...

Before, I've had (probably forgot some):

-BuyVM

-IPXCore

-FlameVPS

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Well, I've used many el cheapo providers.  Now, I am constantly trimming who I deal with based on ability to trust the folks.  Too many child providers stealing data, pretending to be hackers and breaking laws in doing so.   No thanks, I don't care about your 2GB @ $4 offers.   Nothing but a honeypot to steal my data.

Companies I trust.... Not many.  BuyVM has long been good.  SecureDragon is alright, but questionable on the trust part.  RamNode has been trust worthy, secure and very fast.  Ditto for Prometeus.  Not many else..  But I am still looking :)

Awmusic12635

Verified Provider
Well, I've used many el cheapo providers.  Now, I am constantly trimming who I deal with based on ability to trust the folks.  Too many child providers stealing data, pretending to be hackers and breaking laws in doing so.   No thanks, I don't care about your 2GB @ $4 offers.   Nothing but a honeypot to steal my data.

Companies I trust.... Not many.  BuyVM has long been good.  SecureDragon is alright, but questionable on the trust part.  RamNode has been trust worthy, secure and very fast.  Ditto for Prometeus.  Not many else..  But I am still looking :)
All good providers:

Hope to gain your trust sometime in the future :)

Coastercraze

Top Thrill
Verified Provider
I've actually never used WiredTree or KnownHost although I've heard great things about KnownHost.  Would you be willing to write a review about one or both of them sometime and let us know how it is?  I'd be pretty interested in it. 
Sure, I'll write a review out on them both.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
@Fliphost,  you have good services and some interesting specials lately. You are on my shopping list.

mojeda

BuyVM x4, ChicagoVPS x2, FlipHost x1, RamNode x2, Backupsy x1, ServerDragon x1, DigitalOcean(Not currently using but I have credit still). I have a couple of KVMs on my own node as well.

I feel like I'm missing some...

amuck-landowner