amuck-landowner

blergh

Verified Provider
Herro,

I'm looking for a cheap dedi within Europe that has at least 12TB storage. I have already checked OVH/Hetzner and it's somewhat out of my budget/spec's.

TL;DR

LOTSA DRIVES

Shit hardware

Decent network

??

CHEAP! (Sub 100€)

Now, halp!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reece-DM

Verified Provider
Herro,

I'm looking for a cheap dedi within Europe that has at least 12TB storage. I have already checked OVH/Hetzner and it's somewhat out of my budget/spec's.

TL;DR

LOTSA DRIVES

Shit hardware

Decent network

??

CHEAP! (Sub 100€)

Now, halp!
I'll be honest < 100Euros a month, your not going to get anything good for that.

150Euros 12TB? That's a possibility but  not <100

serverian

Verified Provider
Found this:

1. i3D.net WHT DISCOUNTED PROMO HP SERIES 3 - EUR 150 monthly
    HP DL180
    Dual Intel Xeon Quadcore E5506 (2x 4 cores = 8 cores)
    8 GB DDR3
    12x 1 TB SATA HDD
    50 TB on gigabit (1000 mbit) network and 2 IP addresses
    Your choice of Operating System
    150 Euro monthly with coupon code "PROMO150" 
    http://www.i3d.net/deals/

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Even with hard drives being pretty cheap what you're asking is pretty damn near impossible (for less than 100).  

Also why can't you just get a few backupsy or just storage VPSes and install Gluster FS? 

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Big box there. 12TB for < 100 euros a month... 

Even something like Backupsy in the US is $7 on discount for 500GB  you need 24x that in storage.  Which doing staight math there is $168 per month.

Gosh, 12TB is 4 3TB drives.

OVH and Hetzner can't give you that price?   Here come abstract brands that may....

Not that I use them but:

www.core-backbone.com

32 GB DDR3 RAM
2 x 3 TB HDD SATA
100 Mbps unmetered

monthly: 99,00 Eur
setup fee: 79,00 Eur

Get pricing for +2 more 3TB.

------

- Limited storage promo:
Dell HP DL180
2x Xeon Quadcore E5506(8x 2.13Ghz)
8GB DDR3 RAM
12 x 1TB SATAII 7.2k Enterprise
Hardware RAID
50TB Premium bandwidth
1000mbit connection
1 IP Address
Free Setup

€175 per month

https://skdedicated.com/controlpanel/cart.php?a=add&pid=76&carttpl=cart

serverian

Verified Provider
2HOST DEDICATED SERVERS IN THE NETHERLANDS:

• Xeon E3 1245V2 - Amsterdam, NL (EU)
  • Intel Xeon E3 1245V2
  • 32GB DDR3-DIMM RAM
  • 6x 2,000B SATA2 HDD
  • Gigabit Uplink
  • Gigabit Dedicated B/W
  • 1 IP Addresses
  • Amsterdam, NL

Only 

€169

Monthly Per Server! 

sales at 2host com

rds100

Verified Provider
You don't need 12 x 1TB drives for just "storage". Cheaper would be either 4 x 3TB or 3 x 4TB.

Reece-DM

Verified Provider
Nforce have a box in their outlet:

5IVhXrN.png

8TB Storage  but I'm pretty sure they can do a drive upgrade on it to 3TB Disks:(+ € 12.50 per disk) + Unmetered incoming, which is always hot for storage box's ;)

:)

serverian

Verified Provider
Nforce have a box in their outlet:

5IVhXrN.png

8TB Storage  but I'm pretty sure they can do a drive upgrade on it to 3TB Disks:(+ € 12.50 per disk) + Unmetered incoming, which is always hot for storage box's ;)

:)
Yeah but 1TB outgoing. If you need 10TB, it's 40 more EUR

Reece-DM

Verified Provider
Yeah but 1TB outgoing. If you need 10TB, it's 40 more EUR
On a budget of 100Euros you've got to scrap the barrel so to speak and it would depend upon outgoing usage, the OP didn't mentioned much other information except jstorage.

Unmetered inbound is a big advantage and saves a lot of money in that case but it depends upon the OP's usage.

blergh

Verified Provider
Well, increasing the budget is certainly possible and would make things a lot easier too, but what's the challenge in that? The box is more or less intended for long-time storage and won't really any outgoing bandwidth. Hardware itself isn't really of any importance as long as it can handle the amount of storage without going full-on derp.

8TB is too little, i could stretch to 10TB but preferably 12TB+

serverian

Verified Provider
Well, increasing the budget is certainly possible and would make things a lot easier too, but what's the challenge in that? The box is more or less intended for long-time storage and won't really any outgoing bandwidth. Hardware itself isn't really of any importance as long as it can handle the amount of storage without going full-on derp.

8TB is too little, i could stretch to 10TB but preferably 12TB+
If it's long time storage, why do you need it in Europe? If you say USA east coast is okay, I can do 10TB for 100 Eur in Orlando

blergh

Verified Provider
If it's long time storage, why do you need it in Europe? If you say USA east coast is okay, I can do 10TB for 100 Eur in Orlando
No, no USA. There are simply too many reasons not to. I'm in Europe myself too, so it makes more sense to keep it around here.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
I haven't crunched the numbers but then why can't you just use Amazon Glacier?  

Edit:  Ok so assuming it's $0.01 USD/GB/month it'd be around (assuming 12 TB and 1 TB == 1024 GB) it comes out to $122.88 USD/month which using Today's conversion rate from USD to EUROs it comes out to roughly 93.03 euros.  

This is not factoring in bandwidth (incoming is free, outgoing is... not).  

http://aws.amazon.com/glacier/pricing/

blergh

Verified Provider
But ya, 8TB is fine too.

I haven't crunched the numbers but then why can't you just use Amazon Glacier?  

Edit:  Ok so assuming it's $0.01 USD/GB/month it'd be around (assuming 12 TB and 1 TB == 1024 GB) it comes out to $122.88 USD/month which using Today's conversion rate from USD to EUROs it comes out to roughly 93.03 euros.  
Nah, no cloud-things. Just dedicated hardware that i manage and control. But the idea was good, thanks!

acd

Buy el-cheapo C1100 server for 330 USD. Ship to Europe, 100+ USD. Install 4x4TB ST4000DM000, 720 USD. Colo near amsix, 50 EUR/mo. Use for >1 year (???). Profit?

blergh

Verified Provider
Buy el-cheapo C1100 server for 330 USD. Ship to Europe, 100+ USD. Install 4x4TB ST4000DM000, 720 USD. Colo near amsix, 50 EUR/mo. Use for >1 year (???). Profit?
The general idea is good, but i could just slap it on a box here at home. At this  stage i would just want to keep this data off-site (or, not at home).

The idea is to store some important data on this box for a while, then once everything is finished here at home, move it back so to speak.

amuck-landowner