amuck-landowner

Rsync limiting bandwidth - howto

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
If you are like most of us, rsync is a tool you use far too much.

One issue I run into from time to time is rsync saturating a connection and reducing performance of a network for users (high CPU load).

Rsync has a built in CLI switch for regulating  bandwidth usage:

--bwlimit=5000

Appending that to your current rsync command should limit you to 5MB of throughput on the file transfer.

Typically something like this:

rsync --bwlimit=5000  [rest of CLI command]

kro

Verified Provider
Hmm, I take it your not a huge fan on man?             

--bwlimit=KBPS          limit I/O bandwidth; KBytes per second

I always crawl man pages some tools can do things you wouldn't even think of ^_^

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Sure I use man from time to time.

I see other folks head bumping with cron rsync issue and other non QoS / shaped networks and dragging their stuff down.  Ideally it saves 1 person a slight headache.

Tons of features in rsync :)  

kro

Verified Provider
Sure I use man from time to time.

I see other folks head bumping with cron rsync issue and other non QoS / shaped networks and dragging their stuff down.  Ideally it saves 1 person a slight headache.

Tons of features in rsync :)
Oh defo, no doubt it'll save many headaches. Most likely plenty who have no idea of its existence. +1

Raymii

I like this tip! Thanks :) I can think of a few situations where this can come in handy.. My current clients however all have gigabit or higher. Not all my VPS's, so I'm going to tweak some duplicity scripts :)

zim

The Invader
Verified Provider
Yea this is a good tip for people looking to rate some small backup scripts.. +1

amuck-landowner