amuck-landowner

SonicVPS Hypersonic KVM-4096

FHN-Eric

Verified Provider
Provider: SonicVPS
Plan: Hypersonic KVM-4096
Price: $150.00 Quarterly
Purchase Date: 8/22/12

I have decided to do a review of SonicVPS since I have been using them for about a year now, and there service is awesome. I used the serverbear benchmark to do the testing.

Service Review
Overall, the service provided by SonicVPS is really good. They provide fast support, and are always really nice. Richard, the owner is really nice, and treats everyone with respect. They have a custom panel which is really nice, and they have a monitoring service for monitoring server load which is also really nice.

Downtime
Since I have been with SonicVPS, there has been no downtime. The only downtime was when they moved to Las Vegas, Nevada with BuyVM. However even then, there was little downtime.

Would I recommend SonicVPS?
Yes, I would recommend SonicVPS, especially if your looking for a provider with really good up time and support.

VPS Specs:
HDD: 100 GB
Bandwidth: 10,000 GB
Ram: 4096 MB
Cores: 4

Serverbear benchmark: http://serverbear.com/benchmark/2013/09/04/bSWoqujWzVfOkfhE

Here are some of the results from the test below.

DD

dd if=/dev/zero of=sb-io-test bs=1M count=1k conv=fdatasync
8.54159 s, 126 MB/s
dd if=/dev/zero of=sb-io-test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
9.15088 s, 117 MB/s
dd if=/dev/zero of=sb-io-test bs=1M count=1k oflag=dsync
14.2044 s, 75.6 MB/s
dd if=/dev/zero of=sb-io-test bs=64k count=16k oflag=dsync
61.0949 s, 17.6 MB/s

I/O Pings

ioping -c 10
request=1 time=0.5 ms
request=2 time=1.1 ms
request=3 time=0.6 ms
request=4 time=0.9 ms
request=5 time=0.6 ms
request=6 time=0.7 ms
request=7 time=1.0 ms
request=8 time=0.5 ms
request=9 time=0.7 ms
request=10 time=0.5 ms

10 requests completed in 9009.2 ms, 1429 iops, 5.6 mb/s

I/O Seek Test (No Cache)

ioping -RD
2120 iops, 8.3 mb/s
min/avg/max/mdev = 0.2/0.5/19.2/1.1 ms

I/O Reads - Sequential

ioping -RL
850 iops, 212.6 mb/s
min/avg/max/mdev = 0.6/1.2/22.3/1.2 ms

I/O Reads - Cached

ioping -RC
133383 iops, 521.0 mb/s
min/avg/max/mdev = 0.0/0.0/6.1/0.1 ms

Last edited by a moderator:

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
150/quarter?  So 50/month?  Dang!  That better be a good VM!  

4 cores, 2.5 GHz, 4GB RAM, 100GB HDD.  

The network test isn't complete so I can't be certain, but apparently the IP's location is set to San Jose.  Feel kinda iffy with that one.  

But glad you're satisfied with the service!  Again that's one high pricetag (but for what you get it doesn't seem bad at all!)! 

Last edited by a moderator:

peterw

50$ a month - that is the dedicated server price range. Do you get a dedicated network connection?

sundaymouse

50$ a month is more than enough to get a budget dedi with double the resource. However, a managed environment may be better.

blergh

Verified Provider
As per the website it says "CPU: Intel Xeon L5420 Processors minimum" for these 4GB plans, seems a bit too much for just that.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
As per the website it says "CPU: Intel Xeon L5420 Processors minimum" for these 4GB plans, seems a bit too much for just that.
SonicVPS actually bought all of our E3's and upgrades for all but 1 node happen this afternoon :)

Richard & I go way back and he's an all around solid guy.

Francisco

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
To be perfectly honest there are legitimate reasons to purchase high-resources VM instead of a low-level dedicated server ;)

It becomes somewhat of a managed solution now because SonicVPS now has to maintain the host node and honestly for the network and the hardware it's sometimes better to just go with the higher resources VM.  I wouldn't say it's too much without knowing the specifics behind the network and the cost of the hardware ;) 

SonicVPS

Verified Provider
Hi guys,

Thanks for the kind feedback. :)

Yes we are upgrading all our nodes in line with BuyVMs upgrade. We do also develop our own internal systems which keep clients happy. We're not just targeted to the "low end" market specifically.

I try and not to compete on price. My main goal is to remain profitable, which in turn means I can keep improving the service we deliver.

SonicVPS

Verified Provider
Unixbench score of 581.4 jeez! Ramnode 256KVM's score close to triple of that. 
As above. We literally just physically upgraded all nodes a few hours ago and we are finishing up some abuse monitoring systems to help evenly distribute resources tonight via our control panel. :)

amuck-landowner