amuck-landowner

Earplugs... yep needed

RiotSecurity

Alright, I officially have too many servers. A few poweredge HP servers, supermicro, etc. totally to 7 servers, sitting in my basement running 24x7.

All have a raid array with minimum 4 drives. Setting up a new one right now (Poweredge) and tomorrow setting up a new firewall..

Could it get any louder....

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
The falsehoods that pour from this child's mouth.

I'm not a freeloader (read: dependant kid still young enough to think that bragging about mommy's disposable income actually matters), and I work for a living.  So yes, I would think a 500$ electric bill to be excessive.  Luckily for your parents, such a figure is quite obviously fabricated.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Time to allocate some of that electric money towards better fans and cooling.

Stuff it in a rack, a sound proof rack.

Get lower RPM fans with larger arms on it.

Liquid cooling.

I use to heat a house with waste heat from my servers.

Last edited by a moderator:

bzImage

I'm not a freeloader (read: dependant kid still young enough to think that bragging about mommy's disposable income actually matters), and I work for a living.  So yes, I would think a 500$ electric bill to be excessive.  Luckily for your parents, such a figure is quite obviously fabricated.
I am not taking anyone's side here but my electrical bill is $500/month and that does not include running server gear. Buy hey, I live in useless cunt florida that needs to die in a fucking fire.

nunim

VPS Junkie

I'm not a freeloader (read: dependant kid still young enough to think that bragging about mommy's disposable income actually matters), and I work for a living. So yes, I would think a 500$ electric bill to be excessive. Luckily for your parents, such a figure is quite obviously fabricated.
When I lived in Florida a $500 electric bill during some of the summer months wasn't unheard of. My Dad loves Christmas lights so, $700 or $800 for December wasn't out of the question, but my Mom did bitch about it quite often.

Last edited by a moderator:

bzImage

When I lived in Florida a $500 electric bill during some of the summer months wasn't unheard of. My Dad loves Christmas lights so, $700 or $800 for December wasn't out of the question, but my Mom did bitch about it quite often.
You'll forgive me if my family has been bah humbug for the last 3 years when it comes to the christmas lights.

Eric1212

Verified Provider
I don't even want to know what kind of so-called "Christmas lights" he's into.  But normal lights don't cost an extra $300/mo. 

This is a very strange thread :p 

Pete M.

Verified Provider
Sweet Jesus, $500 electric bill?! Wow! I wonder if some better insulation would help. During summer months I see maybe $200 at the most per month, but nowhere near $500. Of course, I live in NC.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Look at me, I have servers!

</op>
We all have servers :)  Now making them useful, silent and beneficial to your living environment :)

Years ago I churned through electric like that for servers, when clock speeds were 1Ghz or less.   Today though, no need for that, usually.

amuck-landowner