amuck-landowner

lightweight browsers?

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Hello everyone,

I'm working on replacing our "Desktop OS" templates but I'm not sure what browser to be shipping with it.

My usual go-to is Chrome but it can bloat on RAM pretty quick.

Is there any lightweight (RAM wise) browsers that anyone can recommend?

Francsico

Cloudrck

Verified Provider
In no way would I consider Firefox lightweight. I would look into Midori for a browser with a small footprint.

You also never mentioned what OS

Last edited by a moderator:

concerto49

Verified Provider
Opera now is just a crippled Chrome. It'll use more or less the same memory. Firefox is the only choice. The rest are also separated by processes = memory hog.

willie

I actually still use Lynx all the time, and occasionally the slightly fancier Links, but I figure you mean a graphical browser.  I used Dillo for a while though I don't know if it's actively maintained any more.  The trouble is that the modern web has become completely dependent on bloatware Javascript libraries, and those in turn are becoming dependent on the performance supplied by the fancy JIT compilers in the latest and most heavyweight browsers.  I don't know a solution.

For lightweight window managers, I like Xmonad, but it may be a little too nerdy for "civilians".

lbft

Yeah Opera is dead. The old version with their own rendering engine (and actual features) isn't maintained any more and without updates to the site-specific fixes more and more sites will break in it over time (plus I'm sure there'll be security bugs in the not too distant future).

There's no reason to choose Opera over Chrome or Chromium now.

(Can you tell I'm a sad soon-to-be-former Opera user?)

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I hope Opera gets their shit together. It's superior from a security/privacy perspective without kung pow addons.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
Firefox, lightweight?  Not even close <_<  Maybe contemporary browsing on static pages with no interaction/flash/etc..

Midori is a real solid choice for lightweight.  I run that on my netbook whenever I feel the need for G.  Links/Links2 otherwise.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Problem with lightweight and today's web is all the javascript crap.

I run with javascript off, but constant issues with sites. Limits where I go some. Probably for the best though.

Jscript off = very fast on anything. No real memory swelling either.

amuck-landowner