amuck-landowner

Storage VPS

Nyr

So I am in the market for some cheap storage.

I would like quotes for both 100GB and 200GB containers.

I know about offers from:

- Backupsy: my best option at the moment.

- BuyVM: no stock, not good experiences with them in the past.

- FlipHost: quality of service really went down since they were sold.

64 MB of RAM are enough, location doesn't matter much and low bandwidth usage is expected. Adult content needs to be allowed.

Suggestions/quotes are welcome ^^

TSS - Conor

Verified Provider
Hello,

I will gladly offer you this :)

#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#

Hard Disk: 100GB

Bandwidth: 750GB

Memory: 512MB

IPs: 1

------------------------------------------------------------------

Price: $12.50/Month OR $125.00/Year

#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#
Our bandwidth is premium bandwidth and our nodes use 1Gbps ports so transfer speeds should be great for you.

We also offer a 7-Day money back guarantee and 99.9% uptime guarantee.

Feel free to PM me to take this forward :)

Last edited by a moderator:

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
EDIS openvz in Austria, Iceland, and Chicago.  35% off promo code BLKFRI good until December 2nd.  1GB VPS has 100GB storage (5.20 euros with promo), 2GB has 250GB (7.20 euros with promo), 4GB has 500GB (11 euros with promo).  Bandwidth on those plans is 4TB/6TB/10TB.  Adult is allowed in Austria and Chicago but Icelandic law prohibits adult content.

http://www.edis.at/en/server/linux-vps-solusvm-openvz/austria/

Nyr

@TSS - Conor: thanks for the offer, but it was out of my budget.

@drmike: thanks for your suggestions too :)

@DomainBop didn't know coupons could be used on all the OVZ series, those are good offers, thank you.

I ended up getting this offer I found. The provider isn't very well known but they got good reviews and I don't really need something really reliable for this:

http://lowendbox.com/blog/reliable-hosting-services-3month-512mb-ram-100gb-hdd-in-baltimore-md/

Will get a second container from EDIS too so I can mirror the contents of both.

Thanks for your suggestions, guys.

bizzard

For 100GB, you could try RamNode's 512MB Plan, with SSD Cached HDD. It comes with 120GB storage and with the Black Friday code "BLACK42", you could get a discount of 42%, making the cost somewhat around 4.5$, which is a steal price, considering the performance.

Nyr

For 100GB, you could try RamNode's 512MB Plan, with SSD Cached HDD. It comes with 120GB storage and with the Black Friday code "BLACK42", you could get a discount of 42%, making the cost somewhat around 4.5$, which is a steal price, considering the performance.
Thought about that, maybe even combining two 128 containers and (ab)using the oversold space, but I wanted better scalability to be honest.

You can go with backupsy. They have 40% discount deal.
It was one of my options, yeah.

We offer a 256GB plan for $6.99 USD. It comes with 256MB ram and 1TB BW.

https://massnodes.com/whmcs/cart.php?a=add&pid=31
Nice offer, good to know.

notFound

Don't take me seriously!
Verified Provider
Out of curiosity; what were your 'bad' experiences with BuyVM?

Backupsy does seem to be your best bet for the moment imo.

Nyr

Out of curiosity; what were your 'bad' experiences with BuyVM?
I did know someone would ask :p

- Some years ago, back in the Fremont era I got a 256 VM from them and the experience was horrible. Doing an apt-get update would take several minutes and the container was completely unusable. Ticket response times were really bad too, so I ended up canceling.

- Their policy for allowing/rejecting Tor exit hosting has radically changed multiple times during the last years. Yes-No-Yes-No-Maybe-No IIRC.

- I don't remember what problem did I have about a year or two ago, but long history short they promised a refund on a public forum and then ignored me when I actually asked for it in private.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
Fremont was horrible, aye.  And agreed, TOR has been a constant source of aggrevation.  Though to be fair - several policies have evolved over the years as well.  That you focus on that one in particular tells me enough, though.

- I don't remember what problem did I have about a year or two ago, but long history short they promised a refund on a public forum and then ignored me when I actually asked for it in private.
Calling bullshit there.  All refunds have gone though me for the past handful of years.  At _MOST_ I am willing to bet that whoever told you a refund was possible (most likely Fran) was not actually made aware of the full situation.  While he does go out of his way to help everyone out, he wont break policy to do so.  If you have an account email or invoice ID, I will be happy to look up the ticket and investigate this immediately.

texteditor

Premium Buffalo-based Hosting
I did know someone would ask :p

- Their policy for allowing/rejecting Tor exit hosting has radically changed multiple times during the last years. Yes-No-Yes-No-Maybe-No IIRC.
Tor exit nodes are a nightmare and very few providers allow them anymore, and I assume even those that allow it would have a policy change the first time the feds come a-knockin'

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
Actually, don't worry about the invoiceID, I found your account.  What actually happened was, you were dissatisfied with the performance on a 128MB.  You were correct on one item - you were not eligible for a cash refund as you still had existing service.  What you're not telling folks is that, we added the full cost of the 128MB to your account's credit balance, which would be applied towards the invoices for your remaining service.  You're giving a very untrue impression that we simply robbed you.

What you're also not telling people is, two years later you ordered another 128MB from us in Vegas.  If you had any troubles with the service in that time, you certainly did not bring it to our attention - there were no tickets opened on your account after that service was purchased.

Nyr

Hey, Aldryic, no need to call bullshit on me.

That you focus on that one in particular tells me enough, though.
I focus on your Tor policy because I hosted one exit node on a yearly VM and during that period it went from allowed to forbidden. So that should tell you that I focus on the one policy which affected me. And that I care to know what is and what isn't allowed so I don't cause unwanted trouble (since that policy change wasn't notified by email if I remember correctly).

All refunds have gone though me for the past handful of years.  At _MOST_ I am willing to bet that whoever told you a refund was possible (most likely Fran) was not actually made aware of the full situation.  While he does go out of his way to help everyone out, he wont break policy to do so.
Yeah, it was Fran.

I don't remember exactly, but I didn't really requested the refund at first, I just mentioned I had about $20 in my account and would be nice if that could be actually refunded in real PayPal money. Fran said something along the lines of "yeah, contact Aldryic so he can process it" and I sent you a PM on LET about this.

I completely understand this wasn't granted and I didn't even requested that at first, but Fran told me he could do it and to PM you about it. You didn't even replied "not possible, we don't do that" or "I'll need to talk about it to Fran". You simply ignored my PM.

Tor exit nodes are a nightmare and very few providers allow them anymore, and I assume even those that allow it would have a policy change the first time the feds come a-knockin'
I understand Tor exits aren't trouble free. If you don't want to allow them, that's fine, just don't say yes and later change your ToS. And then change them once more so Tor exits are allowed. And again so they aren't allowed anymore.

You were correct on one item - you were not eligible for a cash refund as you still had existing service. What you're not telling folks is that, we added the full cost of the 128MB to your account's credit balance, which would be applied towards the invoices for your remaining service.  You're giving a very untrue impression that we simply robbed you.
Yeah, I ordered a 128MB KVM IIRC and then canceled some months later, getting the remaining balance in account credit. That was perfectly fine by me and I never bitched about that. It was Fran who casually said months later I could get that credit on my PayPal since I wasn't using that service any longer (and didn't plan to renew the other active service either).

What you're also not telling people is, two years later you ordered another 128MB from us in Vegas.  If you had any troubles with the service in that time, you certainly did not bring it to our attention - there were no tickets opened on your account after that service was purchased.
I ordered that last VM as a gift to a friend since I wasn't able to get my account credit out via PayPal as Fran said. The VM was paid for using the available account credit and I simply gifted it since it was better than leaving that credit unused forever.

Let's stop all this drama, please. I don't consider BuyVM the worst provider in earth. You got thousands of happy customers so I suppose service has gotten better with the time. You were the first low end provider I ever bought from and I really had a fun time with those little cheap containers. It was amazing to get a $15/y VPS back then.

But just calling bullshit on your previous customers without even knowing the facts... that doesn't seem professional at all. No one is perfect and miscommunication happens all the time, but calling bullshit on real facts I don't think it's the correct thing to do.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
Quoting is a pain in the ass on mobile.. so just to clarify:

Did I ignore a PM in some forum? Most likely. Forums aren't out support system. You DID open a ticket, which was not ignored and was replied to.

I called bullshit because your lack of details in the initial post made it seem like we stole from you. I provided sufficient detail to show this was not the case. Perhaps just be less vague when describing a situation in the future.

amuck-landowner