amuck-landowner

Anyone using Laravel framework?

FHN-Eric

Verified Provider
So, is anyone here using the Laravel php framework? If you are using it, what are your thoughts on it? Right now we are using it on our dev sites as we are switching the normal sites over to Laravel because of the blade template system, which was a huge factor in deciding to make the switch to laravel for our sites. Overall, I am really pleased with how fast and convenient laravel is. 

vampireJ

Not me so my reply would obviously be OT. PHP frameworks talk is something every PHP programmer has something to talk about.

But for me- I would only be considering these 3 for any projects

Phalcon - the speediest php framework among others (perhaps nothing would be in conversation with speediest unless it is also a php extension like phalcon)

Symfony - basically the best framework for the enterprise

Zend - for its name recall

zzrok

I'm a fan of Laravel.  The community is very welcoming and the framework is powerful but approachable.

Wintereise

I've build some 20 odd projects using it so far.

It does everything I've needed it to do, and does it without getting in the way. +1 to it.

Supicioso

My developer uses it seems good. But I don't know much about it.
Previously used Codeigniter before I learned development halted. Have always been eyeing Laravel so I switched over to that. Needless to say, it has a lot of features that I haven't seen in other frameworks. So I'd say if you're looking for a framework to go with. Laravel is a step in the right choice.

Thread is a week old, but I wanted to post anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Previously used Codeigniter before I learned development halted. Have always been eyeing Laravel so I switched over to that. Needless to say, it has a lot of features that I haven't seen in other frameworks. So I'd say if you're looking for a framework to go with. Laravel is a step in the right choice.

Thread is a week old, but I wanted to post anyway.
I don't see why that'd be a big deal. Bug fixes still come in but they aren't writing "new" things. CI was always about being a mature/slow changing framework, never anything too insane.

Francisco

SrsX

Banned

I don't see why that'd be a big deal. Bug fixes still come in but they aren't writing "new" things. CI was always about being a mature/slow changing framework, never anything too insane.

Francisco

I'd rather have a old hardly developed framework with little-no bugs, then a new popular framework with a ton of bugs.

Adduc

Having dealt with CodeIgniter while doing some consulting, I'd take Laravel any day. Some of the things Laravel does that CodeIgniter doesn't:

• Integrates with Composer off-the-bat to allow using third party libraries easily. Granted, it's easy to add this behavior to CodeIgniter.
  • Encourage the use of unit tests, and even ships with a PHPUnit configuration in the initial download. CodeIgniter has a custom testing setup, which doesn't appear to be fully fleshed out.
  • Uses unique fully qualified class names. With CodeIgniter, I've got to watch what third party libraries are used, because class name collision may occur.
  • Better debugging. Take a look at what happens when an error or exception occurs in Laravel. It's incredibly information-rich, and is my ideal way to look at stack traces (if I could, I'd use their error handling in every project I work with. EDIT: it's the filp/whoops library). CodeIgniter's error handling is very generic, and doesn't include information beyond where it occurred.

Last edited by a moderator:
amuck-landowner