• Announcements

• MannDude

Current state of vpsBoard   02/04/2017

Dear vpsBoard members and guests:

Over the last year or two vpsBoard activity and traffic has dwindled. I have had a change of career and interests, and as such am no longer an active member of the web hosting industry.

Due to time constraints and new interests I no longer wish to continue to maintain vpsBoard. The web site will remain only as an archive to preserve and showcase some of the great material, guides, and industry news that has been generated by members, some of which I remain in contact to this very day and now regard as personal friends.

I want to thank all of our members who helped make vpsBoard the fastest growing industry forum. In it's prime it was an active and ripe source of activity, news, guides and just general off-topic banter and fun.

I wish all members and guests the very best, whether it be with your business or your personal projects.

-MannDude
KuJoe

How do you upload your files to your webserver?

77 posts in this topic

SFTP by default, SCP if all else fails, and FTP over SSL if dealing with a system that has blocked both SFTP and SCP.

Most of the time just git or a deployment framework like Ansible. There's hardly anything I do manually these days. If I do it more than once its time to automate it :P

2 people like this

If I do it more than once its time to automate it :P

Second that.

For Ruby I am using capistran.

I usually use SFTP or FTPS. SFTP is the default if I don't need to worry about speed/cpu usage, but recently I've been having trouble with AT&T possibly limiting standard FTP connections for downloads (I only use FTP for bigger file transfers like movies), so I moved to FTPS for a couple things.

I automate uploads/syncs with cmd files, but it is still scp (under Win7).

Edited by dcdan

SFTP or just regular FTP using Filezilla. Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini LTE using Tapatalk

Thanks for all of the responses, some really interesting methods out there. I've found a workaround to my problem (I just do all of my coding on my Windows 7 VM and FTP works just fine), but keep the posts coming since I'm sure others are learning of new apps and protocols from this thread also. :)

Edited by KuJoe

Telepathy. Web 5.0 Beta.

Edited by blergh

lftp, because it is the best ftp/sftp/ftps client, and it's cuses based so i can run it on any box in tmux

Depends on where it's being uploaded from:

1.SCP if it's being uploaded from another server..and sometimes from workstations for large size uploads

2. Filezilla/SFTP (over private VPN) if it's being uploaded from a workstation (Linux, FreeBSD...no speako Winbloze here)

Use git. Commit things and pull it on the server.

I use WinSCP (SFTP/SCP ; FTP fallback) for most transfers.  cURL and a local webserver if I really have to.

Filezilla mostly unless I am download / installing something in a archive file then just wget from its location.

Usually rsync over SSH for transfering quickly put together stuff and single files that I want hosted remotely, sshfs or gvfs SFTP mount if I want to edit some random .html file live, and git push/pull for proper website deployments.

Edited by joepie91

All of my gear at home is Debian.. I just use SCP over command-line.

scp! This is my method :$