• Announcements

• MannDude

Current state of vpsBoard   02/04/2017

Dear vpsBoard members and guests:

Over the last year or two vpsBoard activity and traffic has dwindled. I have had a change of career and interests, and as such am no longer an active member of the web hosting industry.

Due to time constraints and new interests I no longer wish to continue to maintain vpsBoard. The web site will remain only as an archive to preserve and showcase some of the great material, guides, and industry news that has been generated by members, some of which I remain in contact to this very day and now regard as personal friends.

I want to thank all of our members who helped make vpsBoard the fastest growing industry forum. In it's prime it was an active and ripe source of activity, news, guides and just general off-topic banter and fun.

I wish all members and guests the very best, whether it be with your business or your personal projects.

-MannDude
KuJoe

How do you upload your files to your webserver?

77 posts in this topic

SFTP with FileZilla is the best combination and the most secure one too.

Is there a good alternative for FileZilla for Linux GUI which doesn't need unprotected file format (Putty *.ppk) ?

@ModyDev by "unprotected file format", are you talking about transport encryption? Because FileZilla supports SFTP over SSH.

4 hours ago, perennate said:

@ModyDev by "unprotected file format", are you talking about transport encryption? Because FileZilla supports SFTP over SSH.

No, I am talking about the private key file stored by FileZilla in unprotected format *.ppk

4 hours ago, ModyDev said:

No, I am talking about the private key file stored by FileZilla in unprotected format *.ppk

According to https://wiki.filezilla-project.org/Howto#Other_platforms, FileZilla works fine with standard SSH agent. I tested it on Ubuntu with XFCE+GNOME-keyring and verified that I didn't need to do any key file format conversion. The PuTTY format is only necessary on Windows because FileZilla uses PuTTY library on Windows; but you mentioned you were looking for a program for Linux.

1 person likes this

Use WinSCP - probably best FTP/SFTP client for Windows

I use a Raspberry pi for local file storage and back it up to a remote server using good old rsync. Really powerful and easy.

On windows, WinSCP does the job nicely.  

Windows - WinSCP. 

- Daniel :)

SFTP using FileZilla, like many people here. :)

SCP is the way to go. On windows I use WinSCP but it is so much slower.