amuck-landowner

Hi powered wireless?

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Looking for a high powered wireless network adapter. In short, I have a family member who has a house about a block away from me. We want to be able to share files with each other as needed, even if kind of slow, and have a project to work on as we have some random servers between us. Raspberry Pis, Cobalt Cubes, thin clients, etc. This is more of a random goofing around project than a serious real need of anything.

Any high powered Wifi antennas available for... say, <$50? If they can be mounted outside, all the better.

fusa

Verified Provider
You can not go higher in output (watt). You just need to find a device that has a good antenna. A good device for you: http://www.ubnt.com/nanostationloco

Just buy 2 devices, point them at each other, done. When you have Line Of Sight you will get great speeds. We have here links between multiple sites from around 30KM+ with UBNT devices, works great.

This device http://www.ubnt.com/nanostation is better with more throughput, but costs more.

All weather device ;) So you must put them outside for better reception. Powered over passive POE, so only one network cable needed.

Last edited by a moderator:

raidz

You can not go higher in output (watt). You just need to find a device that has a good antenna. A good device for you: http://www.ubnt.com/nanostationloco

Just buy 2 devices, point them at each other, done. When you have Line Of Sight you will get great speeds. We have here links between multiple sites from around 30KM+ with UBNT devices, works great.

This device http://www.ubnt.com/nanostation is better with more throughput, but costs more.

All weather device ;) So you must put them outside for better reception. Powered over passive POE, so only one network cable needed.
+1 on this. Ubnt has great stuff.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Ubiquity gear gets mentioned quite a bit :)  Prices are just nuts for what they offer.

Alfa is another brand to look at, less frills, more traditional AP/CPE offering.

Either way, stick to outdoor equipment tethered to you via USB.   Range will be vastly improved there, especially on rooftop installations.

PS: Don't forget about planning lightening suppression and grounding (simple and sane) and exterior building penetration for your cable(s) - should deal with water dripping and such proactively outside.

And, regardless of what you use outdoors, will require a pole mount and associated hardware.  Some cost there, but not cost prohibitive.

badpatrick

I use a 2 mile network that is connected via two ENH202 routers. Been on my roof under the hot Arizona sun for a year and it works as good as the day I got it. Love this thing.

www.engeniustech.com/business-networking/outdoor-access-points-client-bridges/9339-enh202-

Edit-

Sorry just saw your preferred price. The ENH202 is $80s. The ENH200 is $60s. They have other products that may be cheaper.

Last edited by a moderator:

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Engenius / Senao makes good gear too.  Been using their stuff forever.

Anyone using / know of an outdoor wifi unit with multiple antenna option at same time.  Support for say a local omni and a directional high gain simultaneously?

MCH-Phil

Verified Provider
I have used engenius before in many big deployments.  Think hotels etc :)  Also had the luck of managing a ~10m .11b setup for a few.  If I remember correctly this was ubnt equipment.

Very good products either way you slice it.

NodeBytes

Dedi Addict
I'm using some Cisco products for a ~.5 block backhaul and it could easily be extended to a 2 block radius if I wanted to. The Meraki line of gear is awesome!

For cheaper but equally as good check out the Ubiquiti line of gear.

dano

Although it may go over budget, I would say to check out Ebay for used Proxim products. I have setup unlicensed point-to-point (line of site of course)between buildings that were about 1/4 of a mile away from each other, and was happy with the ease of usage and stability. The link was rated at 100Mb, and it ran quite close to that for up/down from building to building.

amuck-landowner