amuck-landowner

Update to vpsBoard's rules and guidelines.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Due to a current dispute regarding the vagueness of the community guidelines, they have been reviewed and modified. The updated version is now easier to follow and understand.

You can see a screen shot of the previous community guidelines here: http://imgs.vpsboard.com/mlWCPGcwJBg6Ch1.png

The updated rules can be seen here: https://vpsboard.com/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

Any future updates to the rules and guidelines will be made in this thread and will be announced.

I think you will find the rules to be as lax as they were before and easier to understand.

Last edited by a moderator:

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Also open for discussion on improving the list. I want the forum to remain lax, but I can not possibly include every single scenario that may arise here and include them in the rules. The gist of the rules is be kind, be friendly, be helpful.

rds100

Verified Provider
Yes, a diff would be useful. Reading and comprehending the whole thing once again would be boring.

kaniini

Beware the bunny-rabbit!
Verified Provider
Speaking of "rules and guidelines", what's the deal with this "rMember" crap you guys put on Mao?

It really makes me question the value of participating here if there is going to be the same crap that is on the other board.  Might as well use the other board if that's the current direction of things.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Speaking of "rules and guidelines", what's the deal with this "rMember" crap you guys put on Mao?

It really makes me question the value of participating here if there is going to be the same crap that is on the other board.  Might as well use the other board if that's the current direction of things.
Then you haven't been following the drama.

He got upset after I closed his 18+ page thread. I was very patient and genuinely hoping a public resolution would be made between those involved. It became clear no one would man up and apologize to the other party, the thread was locked, and he was asked to resolve it privately.

I guess he was going around with a signature that originally violated the rules by having 5 lines instead of 4. It is shown below:

The following are NOT threats because Francisco said so:If you want to waltz, say so and I'll make sure Sal reconsiders your employment by the end of it.

I'll go provision myself a new VM on your solus in a little bit.

I'm not sure if it translates properly but there's a very simple saying around here, "Peace of mind is a wonderful thing".

Link to the locked topic at his request: 
The content itself doesn't really bother me, even if he's just doing it in attempt to troll and get a rise out of people. Martin gave him an infraction for that and temporarily removed his ability to have one. I wasn't around for this, but read the infraction report. And when I checked in on Mao, guess what? He was in the process of editing all of his old posts, directly evading Martin's request and continually trying to be a nuisance.

So that's when I came in and gave him infraction #2 which came with a PM detailing what it was about and additional temporary and lax restrictions that are in place until Friday.

Comically, despite my patience and effort to work with Mao, he continues to be a nuisance and ignored me by manually inserting it into new posts as he made them. 

As per his BuyVM thread he continually says things that hint towards him wanting to get banned here, so I believe he is simply trying to push buttons. Though realistically he's not done anything worthy of one, he's just trying to be difficult and act as if we're trying to 'censor' him. (Which is laughable, his thread is still available to all to be seen, wasn't 'sunk', wasn't hidden in a forum so Google can't see it, etc.).

The punishment is because of him trying to go against Martin's original request, which while may have been vague Mao continually pushed buttons and must have known that manually inserting a signature in all his posts after Martin's original infraction would not be welcomed.

If he's okay with it, I've got two pages of our PM and discussions I can share. Think what you want, but this place is laughably lax and if you think you can get away with that over there, feel free to go try. You won't be given the privilege of being able to discuss the matter with an admin to try to resolve it, you will be censored there and kicked to the curb with the key thrown away. So until Friday, he can't edit his posts, have a signature, or anything like that. He can still post. Seems reasonable and lax punishment to me.

I like Mao, he's been a solid and valuable member here for quite some time but he's been trying to get a rise out of us which isn't wise. I could care less what his beef is with BuyVM, doesn't impact me at all and I don't care. I even sided with him in regards to some things he had to say about all that drama. 

The update to the rules was because Mao protested any sort of punishment because there was no 'rule' for what he did. I can't add everything that may happen in the event someone may do something in the future. So the main reason for updating the rules was to make them clearer, easier to understand and to included the bit to respect moderation and admin decisions.

I do not see our actions as a great injustice. If he had an infraction on WHT, and ignored it, was warned again... and then ignored that... he'd not be able to post there anymore. But we are lax and are trying to resolve this with him privately and civilly. Try it over at LET? Good luck. You'll be banned for '2 weeks' and forgotten about. ;)

kaniini

Beware the bunny-rabbit!
Verified Provider
Oh, okay.  I was just wondering about it because it seemed kinda "eh" to me.

Seems fair now that I have the background.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I am with @kaniini on this.  Mind you I am not about majority bully rule either.  So don't let a few of us get a rise out of you :)

Problem I have with the Mao infractions is the rules/policies on vpsBoard are very broad, may I call them vague, intentionally.

Mao continues to grind his BuyVM axe and truly, I am confused by it, bewildered.  The loop logic and lack of tangible proof left me feeling like the matter was just theater.  But that said, free speech and let the fellow have at it.   If the topic isn't of interest, just ignore it.

The entire signature issue involving Mao stinks a bit too much like MannDude's own signature issue over at that other site.  Their lack of policies and uniformity lead to misjustice and single martyrdom / victimization.  Let's not have a continuance of that over here, just because, I'll say it, Mao is being annoying / was being annoying.

Two choices, 1) continue to be open and fairly rule free or 2) start hammering little annoying rules out for everything (don't think any of us want the later).

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
I am with @kaniini on this.  Mind you I am not about majority bully rule either.  So don't let a few of us get a rise out of you :)

Problem I have with the Mao infractions is the rules/policies on vpsBoard are very broad, may I call them vague, intentionally.

Mao continues to grind his BuyVM axe and truly, I am confused by it, bewildered.  The loop logic and lack of tangible proof left me feeling like the matter was just theater.  But that said, free speech and let the fellow have at it.   If the topic isn't of interest, just ignore it.

The entire signature issue involving Mao stinks a bit too much like MannDude's own signature issue over at that other site.  Their lack of policies and uniformity lead to misjustice and single martyrdom / victimization.  Let's not have a continuance of that over here, just because, I'll say it, Mao is being annoying / was being annoying.

Two choices, 1) continue to be open and fairly rule free or 2) start hammering little annoying rules out for everything (don't think any of us want the later).
Yes, the rules of vague for a reason. Essentially the rules here are, "Be nice, be friendly. Don't be an ass. Use common sense when interacting with people." As mentioned, I can't ideally list every potential scenario that may arise in the future so I can have a reason to take action on it. If there are rules/regulations you wish to see added, feel free to create a thread and have the community vote on it or make a suggestion. I don't wish to make this place heavy with rules if I can help it.

The signature comparison while somewhat similar, is not at all. My signature issue over at LET was created over a malfunctioning 'cluster' that was switching from one DB to another repetiviely. One DB had no signature due to the user group that I was added to without explanation or warning, and then it'd switch back. I felt someone was intentionally messing with me, and responded as such. I got banned for 'spamming my site' in my signature, where everyone has a URL to their website. Later I learned it was a cluster error, but at that point I was already banned. My ban was for two weeks, I forget how long ago that was... longer than 2 weeks ago, that's for sure! :) The comparison is only similar because it involves signatures, but outside of that it's not comparable at all.

Your two choices, I am and have been choosing #1.

The only reason I am involved in any of this is because I checked the infraction report and saw Mao blatantly ignoring Martin's request.

I'm a pushover. Martin is not. I take shit, Martin does not. He's an admin for a reason because he balances things out where I fail to act.

<shrugs>

mpkossen

I got banned for 'spamming my site' in my signature
I'm pretty sure it had something to do with the 4-5 threads you created about 'ColoCrossing Sucks' and 'Join VPSBoard'. I saw the change log (didn't save it though, doubt I can get it back) and those threads were the actual reason for the ban.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
I'm pretty sure it had something to do with the 4-5 threads you created about 'ColoCrossing Sucks' and 'Join VPSBoard'. I saw the change log (didn't save it though, doubt I can get it back) and those threads were the actual reason for the ban.
Bullshit. Of course you can't find the logs.

I was banned for 'signature spamming' or something like that. I think I linked to vpsBoard once, in a LEB comment, to a thread here that existed nowhere else in regards to HVH and CC. If prompted, I would respond on LET before my '2 week ban' and would reference a URL, but would not otherwise.

And I do not recall ever starting a thread to ask people to join vpsBoard nor starting a thread stating 'Colocrossing sucks'. :|

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
WTF you talking about @mpkossen?

I don't recall Mann doing much other than participating in threads as a thorn in your well paid CC employed foot.   @MannDude, pull your almighty evil LET thread starts, if you've had any since May 2013.

The ban was for his signature, linking to this site / his projects.   You jabornis didn't like that, created special no signature group, blamed it on the cluster (which YOU were responsible for designing/implementing).

If you spent half as much time vetting LEB offers as you playing public relations you wouldn't have that insurrection going on over on LET ---> "Recent wave of incompetence on LET LEB".

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Since I have your attention @mpkossen, what is this about?

"VPSBoard is just weird. BuyVM (at least partially) rules there,  though nobody will every public admit it"

^---- that's taken from your Incompetence thread on LET.

Where do you get this info?   It's wrong and total bullshit.   Do your bosses pay you to spread such bullshit?  I say this because you can't be bothered to research / verify things that are totally fraud in your own "house".

Make you are deal,  how about @MannDude shows you the invoices he pays everyone monthly and you post the fat check you receive monthly from CC and associated handouts, freebies, etc?

amuck-landowner