• Announcements

• MannDude

Current state of vpsBoard   02/04/2017

Dear vpsBoard members and guests:

Over the last year or two vpsBoard activity and traffic has dwindled. I have had a change of career and interests, and as such am no longer an active member of the web hosting industry.

Due to time constraints and new interests I no longer wish to continue to maintain vpsBoard. The web site will remain only as an archive to preserve and showcase some of the great material, guides, and industry news that has been generated by members, some of which I remain in contact to this very day and now regard as personal friends.

I want to thank all of our members who helped make vpsBoard the fastest growing industry forum. In it's prime it was an active and ripe source of activity, news, guides and just general off-topic banter and fun.

I wish all members and guests the very best, whether it be with your business or your personal projects.

-MannDude
Ruriko

Looking for 8 Core Dedi

12 posts in this topic

Hi I'm looking for a cheap dedi that has 8 Cores. All other specs I don't really care as long it has 8 Cores. It can be any CPU processor but must have 8 Cores. Main purpose is to video encode

Budget: $30/m (can pay quarterly)

Barely can even get a dedi with that budget, not an 8 core!

If you want, I can see if I can transfer my CommercialMedia server that's about to expire. It has 8 cores total for $35/month but they only accept checks (no online payment option which is why I'm leaving them).

If you want, I can see if I can transfer my CommercialMedia server that's about to expire. It has 8 cores total for $35/month but they only accept checks (no online payment option which is why I'm leaving them).

no thanks I don't like paying by check

You can get an 6 core from Datashack for $35, aside from that you're going to have trouble finding something at that price.  Most of the dual L5xxx's go for around $50/mo at the minimum.   You might be better off renting 3 x Kimsufi's.

You can get an 6 core from Datashack for $35, aside from that you're going to have trouble finding something at that price.  Most of the dual L5xxx's go for around $50/mo at the minimum.   You might be better off renting 3 x Kimsufi's.

Assuming they have stock ;)

Most of the dual L5xxx's go for around $50/mo at the minimum.

Vee sells dual L5420's for $40 on WHT (and offers discounts for semi-annual and annual payments)  <<puts on WHT hat:>> has the OP checked the offers section?

You really have to benchmark your specific application.  Eight L5420 cores is probably slower at encoding than a 4-core E3-1230 or i7-3770.  There's now an 8 core Atom (Avoton) server that uses around 20 watts and is designed for web hosting, but it will be way slower at encoding than a 4 core i7, maybe even slower than a 2 core i5.  That's about the only 8 core you're likely to find in your budget range (8 core ARM is also a possibility--same issue though).

Hmm has anyone used turnkeyinternet? they have 75% discount on dedi but the only problem is it's only for yearly payments :(