amuck-landowner

Proxmox

Mun

Never Forget
Is proxmox any good? Do you think it would be better then Vmware ESXI? Give me some feedback of the good bad and ugly please.

Mun

k0nsl

Bad Goy
A lot more lightweight than Vmware ESXI, in my opinion, and is very easy to work with.

I do not have great experience with Vmware ESXI, but I do use Proxmox on two servers (so far).

Wintereise

ESXi if you need to be complaint to a boatload pointless certifications.

In other drawbacks, it can't do NAT (without you setting up a openvswitch / opencontrail / vyatta / quagga routing vm), and it won't do any software raid. It's also closed-source software, if you happen to be an open-sores fanatic.

For commercial usage, you'll need a license from VMWare, and those are anything but cheap.

Proxmox will likely be easier to deal with since it's more intended to singular consumers from what it looks like.

dabtech

I don't use Proxmox for anything where I'm selling to consumers, so I have no experience with automation with any billng systems or anything, but I'm currently running a 4 node cluster over OpenVPN using Proxmox for my organizations servers, about 30 or so vm's. So far it's proven quite nice. I've never used ESXI for anything serious, so I don't have can't offer any direct comparisons.

I especially like the fact that Proxmox is Debian based, which is my distro of choice and the one I'm most familiar with. As k0nsl says, it's a nice lightweight virtual environment that so far has proven very nice for my needs.

I NAT a few vm's via a host bridge and iptables. Wintereise, were you referring to Proxmox itself setting up NAT automagically? I have no experience with ESXI, like I said, so I may be missing a feature you're referring to ESXI offers.

Wintereise

I don't use Proxmox for anything where I'm selling to consumers, so I have no experience with automation with any billng systems or anything, but I'm currently running a 4 node cluster over OpenVPN using Proxmox for my organizations servers, about 30 or so vm's. So far it's proven quite nice. I've never used ESXI for anything serious, so I don't have can't offer any direct comparisons.

I especially like the fact that Proxmox is Debian based, which is my distro of choice and the one I'm most familiar with. As k0nsl says, it's a nice lightweight virtual environment that so far has proven very nice for my needs.

I NAT a few vm's via a host bridge and iptables. Wintereise, were you referring to Proxmox itself setting up NAT automagically? I have no experience with ESXI, like I said, so I may be missing a feature you're referring to ESXI offers.
> In other drawbacks, it can't do NAT (without you setting up a openvswitch / opencontrail / vyatta / quagga routing vm), and it won't do any software raid. It's also closed-source software, if you happen to be an open-sores fanatic.

This was said about ESXi, not Proxmox, actually. Apologies if it seemed otherwise.

k0nsl

Bad Goy
In a way it already has that, if you set the right permissions (et cetera). It's very easy to assign roles for individual users / groups.

i wish that proxmox had a user cp then i would use it for my host as it's vary good :)

tchen

ESXi if you need to be complaint to a boatload pointless certifications.

In other drawbacks, it can't do NAT (without you setting up a openvswitch / opencontrail / vyatta / quagga routing vm), and it won't do any software raid. It's also closed-source software, if you happen to be an open-sores fanatic.

For commercial usage, you'll need a license from VMWare, and those are anything but cheap.

Proxmox will likely be easier to deal with since it's more intended to singular consumers from what it looks like.
The ESXi license is free. Yes, you need a license for commercial usage but that's still free. Technically speaking proxmox community edition also requires a license for commercial use although it's provided closer on the shrink wrap and doesn't require a VMware account sign up.

tchen

It's quite easily done too :) took me about an hour with debian install and installing proxmox.
I've been hesitant to try that with mine.  Any gotchas when doing dist-upgrades or is it fully transparent after that first bit of somersault bootstrapping?

Wintereise

The ESXi license is free. Yes, you need a license for commercial usage but that's still free. Technically speaking proxmox community edition also requires a license for commercial use although it's provided closer on the shrink wrap and doesn't require a VMware account sign up.
Depends on what features you'd want. If I wanted to sell VMs off ESXi, I'd want vCenter management along with DRS/HA/VCB features, none of which are free.

concerto49

Verified Provider
You guys should watch the Microsoft videos and how they position hyperv as a better alternative for a lower price :)

tchen

Depends on what features you'd want. If I wanted to sell VMs off ESXi, I'd want vCenter management along with DRS/HA/VCB features, none of which are free.
Fair enough.  Although if I wanted to sell under Proxmox, and I had already spent the money for the SAN required for HA, along with the fencing devices, I'd probably want to buy the VE Enterprise repo subscription too :)  Besides, I'm still waiting for DRS/VCB like things on Proxmox though :p

My personal cluster is running Proxmox just in case you think I'm just dissing it.  The only gripe I have with ESXi is the latest 5.5 change to the v10 format.  They haven't updated the free vSphere client to be compatible so you're stuck on v8 - which still runs fine - but lacks a few new features like fully working nested virt.  I needed KVM for testing so I made the switch.  Coming from a ESXi lab to Proxmox, I miss the resource pooling controls.  But other than that, being free of whitebox hardware tracking is a godsend - i managed to resurrect some really old boxes and join it to the PVE cluster for shits and giggles.

maounique

I've been hesitant to try that with mine.  Any gotchas when doing dist-upgrades or is it fully transparent after that first bit of somersault bootstrapping?
Lately I am always installing debian first and then adding Proxmox layer over it.

I can say I never had issues with it, only one install has hardware raid, the rest software, all apt-gets working as they should, I also install quite a few other packages, for example, on the home server with E-350 i put on even cmus for radio streaming, as well as bluetooth support.

splitice

Just a little bit crazy...
Verified Provider
I have run proxmox on all my dedi's used for web serving / mail / general purposes. Recently ive started moving away from it to DigitalOcean but that is not a reflection on Proxmox which is great software.

I know I had some issues with IPv6 & OpenVZ. I am not sure if support has since been added.

Cloudrck

Verified Provider
I've not used Vmware ESXI, but I do like Proxmox, especially since the new 3.1 update. As I've said before, Proxmox doesn't hold your hand, so it may take some tweaking to make it fit into your deployment. It's meant more as a platform to build upon and create/write your own modules or functionality. It's stable, even without the enterprise repository subscription.

jvkz

Verified Provider
We have servers running VMware, proxmox and hyper-V

But our first choice is Hyper-V and second is ESXI and third is Proxmox.

Proxmox need java to install and configure vm's and on windows 8.1 it sucks to manage Proxmox server. VMware ESXI is nice, free and run great on E3 and even on old hardware.

amuck-landowner