amuck-landowner

vpsBoard on Facebook

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
This is now a thing: https://www.facebook.com/vpsboard

If you're into the whole social networking thing, which I understand many of you are not (and for good reasons), you may wish to 'like' vpsBoard on Facebook. Maybe you're going to 'like' vpsBoard for the cross posting of noteworthy threads. Maybe for the witty quips of text or random tidbits of information that are not worthy of it's own vpsBoard thread. Maybe you just like to 'like' things. Maybe none of this is true, but you're a genuinely nice person and will 'like' it because it only takes a moment and it's a harmless request. Either way, vpsBoard has a Facebook page now, and that is a fact.

Nett

Article Submitter
Verified Provider
  • Elimination of 3rd party services to prevent tracking and profiling of members. (No outsourced ad-network, no Google resources, social media buttons removed, etc.)

mojeda

@, the difference here is you can opt out by not liking their facebook page.

I think that was to prevent scripts and stuff from doing it where you were forced to deal with it unless you used browser plugins/extensions to remove/modify them.

Last edited by a moderator:

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Yeppers, Facebook is fine for when folks are on that site.   We just don't want them peaking into vpsB and watching me reload the same thread 25 times and run funny search queries.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
@, the difference here is you can opt out by not liking their facebook page.

I think that was to prevent scripts and stuff from doing it where you were forced to deal with it unless you used browser plugins/extensions to remove/modify them.
Yep. I still maintain a Twitter account for vpsBoard, and now a Facebook account.

No one is forcing anyone into this, which is the difference (as you have pointed out) between having elements that call back to Google, Twitter, Facebook, etc embedded into this website (which have been removed) and you have the ability to opt-in, yourself and offsite to the Facebook page.

Just like Twiter, it won't be used super heavily so it's not exactly intrusive or annoying in your feed. More or less a way to post noteworthy items from time to time. The current content isn't a proper representation of what it will be. :)

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
you're a genuinely nice person and will 'like' it because it only takes a moment and it's a harmless request.
Why bother with a middle man like Facebook?  It's much quicker for me to just email the NSA and say "I like vpsboard" :p

amuck-landowner