amuck-landowner

HOWTO: Stop NTP amplification attacks from reaching your nodes!

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Hello everyone,

**If you share this information on your blog, forum, etc, be kind and please link back to this topic!**

Normally I'm not one to share stallion code, but after a discussion with a couple staffers we came to the conclusion that the following work must be made public for the 'greater good' and all that righteous crap.

What this does

The following blocks NTP monlist packets at the node (or router level if you're using a linux based setup), before they ever get to your customers. This means that it provides preemptive filtering, instead of after-the-fact-oh-god-my-bandwidth-bills. Stopping NTP amplification floods before the user gets them was the only way for us morally address users from being used in NTP floods be it now or later on.

What this doesn't do

This does not patch the users configuration files by any means. This is entirely node side done with iptables. You should still make it an effort to inform your customers about the dangers of using a bad version of NTP.

Lets get started!

First, you must add the following entry to your /etc/sysctl.conf. This makes it so all packets sent over a bridge (for XEN & KVM based VM's) are also filtered.

net.bridge.bridge-nf-call-iptables = 1

Once this is done, apply the changes

sysctl -p

The following rule is what does all the magic. You'll want to put this in /etc/rc.local above the exit 0 so it gets applied on reboot. You should also look at using iptables-save as well.

iptables -I FORWARD -p udp --dport 123 -m u32 --u32 "0x1C=0x1700032a && 0x20=0x00000000" -m comment --comment "NTP amplification packets" -j DROP

You can change the chain from FORWARD to INPUT in the off chance that you want to use this inside a VPS or something like that. It'd be smarter to simply ACL monlist or upgrade your version, but to each their own.

You should feel no performance impact from this rule being in place. Your node will still be smacked with the packets, but nothing will be sent out.

For obvious reasons, I won't be talking to Phill about including this in his node side SolusVM code, but if someone wishes to point him this way, they have my permission to include this.

For the greater good,

Francisco
Your friendly neighborhood hairyman

EDIT: Added the below quoted response upon request of OP. -MD

I modified Mun's script slightly to make it also edit /etc/rc.local. The new script version can be found at...

Code:
wget http://darkrai.unovarpgnet.net/antintp.sh -O - | bash
No HTTPS for it; my server in SEA doesn't have a cert. You could download over HTTPS I suppose, it'd just complain it's invalid.

Last edited by a moderator:

splitice

Just a little bit crazy...
Verified Provider
Good work Fran / Delta,

When doing this for the sake of your customers flexibility (and sanity when debugging) either ensure your conntrack size is suitably large or disable connection tracking for these packets when enabling iptables for a KVM emulated network interface. Most people assume that a KVM virtual nic is the same as a bare metal one and not limited in terms of connections.

Disabling conntrack can be done with a rule in the PREROUTING chain -j NOTRACK or by not having the module loaded / compiled in.

Mun

Never Forget
I think I wrote up a bash script that should automate the process. Here is the source!

http://cdn.content-network.net/Mun/apps/frantp/0.1/source.txt

You should be able to run it via:

wget http://www.cdn.content-network.net/Mun/apps/frantp/0.1/script.sh -O - | bash

or for https://

wget https://www.cdn.content-network.net/Mun/apps/frantp/0.1/script.sh -O - | bash

I am also looking for suggestions on how to improve the code.

Please note, that unless you run this as a rc.local task the IPtables will be flushed on reboot! I suggest you save the file to a local directory, chmod +x it, and then make a rc.local task.

Please note I have tested it on my dedicated server, but not on a VPS node, can someone please confirm it works?

Mun

kaniini

Beware the bunny-rabbit!
Verified Provider
If you want the inverse of this (to filter the crap out that you're receiving), simply block UDP packets to port 123 which are 468 octets long. You can do this with a route-map on most routers or a policer.

Mun

Never Forget
If you want the inverse of this (to filter the crap out that you're receiving), simply block UDP packets to port 123 which are 468 octets long. You can do this with a route-map on most routers or a policer.
Should I add this to the script, or it that bad? If so, then what would the iptables command look like?

Mun

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
ip6tables -I FORWARD -p udp --dport 123 -m u32 --u32 "0x1C=0x1700032a && 0x20=0x00000000" -m comment --comment "NTP amplification packets" -j DROP
I assume.. don't quote me on it... :(
This is most likely incorrect.

I'll poke around with tcpdump later and see what it actually is.

Francisco

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
For sure!

With this iptables rule, though, it allows users that are renting all their gear and don't have switch ACL access to defend from it as well.

Francisco

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Good work Fran / Delta,

When doing this for the sake of your customers flexibility (and sanity when debugging) either ensure your conntrack size is suitably large or disable connection tracking for these packets when enabling iptables for a KVM emulated network interface. Most people assume that a KVM virtual nic is the same as a bare metal one and not limited in terms of connections.

Disabling conntrack can be done with a rule in the PREROUTING chain -j NOTRACK or by not having the module loaded / compiled in.
We've had no performance issues to date with it. We actually had a few users get banned by autonull because people were sending so many packets at them to reflect.

Francisco

Mun

Never Forget
When I was reading this, I was thinking about it in a whole different way.... oppps.

FLDataTeK

Verified Provider
Thank you for figuring out how to block it at the node level I am sure it will help everyone rest better at night knowing that their nodes won't be assisting in the DDOS...

amuck-landowner