• Announcements

• MannDude

Current state of vpsBoard   02/04/2017

Dear vpsBoard members and guests:

Over the last year or two vpsBoard activity and traffic has dwindled. I have had a change of career and interests, and as such am no longer an active member of the web hosting industry.

Due to time constraints and new interests I no longer wish to continue to maintain vpsBoard. The web site will remain only as an archive to preserve and showcase some of the great material, guides, and industry news that has been generated by members, some of which I remain in contact to this very day and now regard as personal friends.

I want to thank all of our members who helped make vpsBoard the fastest growing industry forum. In it's prime it was an active and ripe source of activity, news, guides and just general off-topic banter and fun.

I wish all members and guests the very best, whether it be with your business or your personal projects.

-MannDude
David

Free Self-hosted Project Management Software?

Question

I have no clue if this is the proper place to post this, but I shall try!

I'm looking for the best self-hosted project management system. (web based)

Any experiences so I don't have to go through the trial and error stage? XD

21 answers to this question

Do you currently have a particular style/system you use? I can offer better suggestions with that in mind. I'm also assuming a Software Development shop, for the ignorant reason of "because that's what I do" - so that would absolutely help out. Lead Engineer for a Gov Contractor here, roughly a 10-man team 6 of which are developers, and I have evaluated damn near everything, paid/un-paid, hosted/un-hosted, name it. There were some we really liked but couldn't use simply because some of the areas we work out of are highly secured and have unique approved software lists, particularly in terms of the browser.

What we've ultimately found to be the most productive? A free-flowing, cluster-fuck of Pivotal Tracker and Google Drive (along w/ my company's WebMeeting service). Seriously. My guys love the dragging-and-dropping of cards within PT, the data model is structured enough to encourage input but not so strict you can't say whatever you want. When we can't butcher that KanBan style into an effective tool we turn to the "scream and see what sticks" methodology of real-time collaboration within Google Drive. :)

1 person likes this

Do you currently have a particular style/system you use? I can offer better suggestions with that in mind. I'm also assuming a Software Development shop, for the ignorant reason of "because that's what I do" - so that would absolutely help out. Lead Engineer for a Gov Contractor here, roughly a 10-man team 6 of which are developers, and I have evaluated damn near everything, paid/un-paid, hosted/un-hosted, name it. There were some we really liked but couldn't use simply because some of the areas we work out of are highly secured and have unique approved software lists, particularly in terms of the browser.

What we've ultimately found to be the most productive? A free-flowing, cluster-fuck of Pivotal Tracker and Google Drive (along w/ my company's WebMeeting service). Seriously. My guys love the dragging-and-dropping of cards within PT, the data model is structured enough to encourage input but not so strict you can't say whatever you want. When we can't butcher that KanBan style into an effective tool we turn to the "scream and see what sticks" methodology of real-time collaboration within Google Drive. :)

I'm not sure as of style. I'm more of a freelancer & work on a crap ton of random projects randomly throughout the day. From web development, to game development.

Id just like a place to organize them all with tasks & all that jazz.. I currently have one project on Trello..it's nice. but would like it to be self-hosted.

xxxxx

oh no, please don't spamming here

opengoo

Ive heard pretty good reviews on opengoo, though I believe they changed their name to FengOffice due to some dispute relating to opengoo = opengoogle.

Anyways heres the free/open source version of what its sucessor is. http://www.fengoffice.com/web/opensource/

+1 for Trello, but it needs to integrate with some document service to have that full projecty goodness.

EDIT: Why is this thread tagged "Daddy"???

1 person likes this

Ive heard pretty good reviews on opengoo, though I believe they changed their name to FengOffice due to some dispute relating to opengoo = opengoogle.

Anyways heres the free/open source version of what its sucessor is. http://www.fengoffice.com/web/opensource/

+1 for Trello, but it needs to integrate with some document service to have that full projecty goodness.

EDIT: Why is this thread tagged "Daddy"???

Sshh no one reads the tags!  ;)

Thanks Guys. Will be trying out FengOffice.

there are so many choices, it depends on what you are looking for. there is no best in general.

I have been really enjoying the software offered by Atlassian lately. If you have a small team of ten or fewer people you can get both JIRA for $10. You can install it on your own server very easily. It also integrates with BitBucket which is nice. The only real problem is that it's not free, and it uses quite a bit of memory. 

I have also used Collabitive in the past which is completely free and you can install it on your own server. It works with any existing web stack so that's a plus. 

If you are looking for something a little more open you may find that something like a wiki is a good option. DokuWiki is a nice and lightweight, and also free wiki script. 

Try Asana it is really awesome.  Its more of a task management product but it should suit your needs.

There's also things like good drive, google spread sheets etc

Personally used a copy of Tree.IO to help with my own personal project management needs.  Then I moved to Atlassian's JIRA, pretty nifty stuff there, but I feel like I have to fiddle around with it some more because I'm still pretty confused with certain aspects of JIRA (if anyone is willing to help me through it then I wouldn't complain haha, but I personally think it's just my lack of time investment for me to fiddle around with it some more).  

Google Drive though has saved my butt multiple times.  

@HalfEatenPie - I'm getting into the Atlassian products right now. I just installed Jira not too long ago and I'm really enjoying it. I have the Greenhopper plugin as well as Bamboo, soon I'll be getting the fisheye plugin. They did a great job of making it so modular. I'm really enjoying it.

I too have recently been playing with the Atlassian products lately, mostly just confluence. I found that it used quite a bit of ram in its Java environment, I was quite surprised. Something like 1.5gb with no one logged in; that said I'm not sure how it scales for ~10 users on at the same time. 

One thing off putting - yeah its 10$ for 10 users, but as soon as I hit 11 users its $1,500 + nearly every addon costs money. 

I too have recently been playing with the Atlassian products lately, mostly just confluence. I found that it used quite a bit of ram in its Java environment, I was quite surprised. Something like 1.5gb with no one logged in; that said I'm not sure how it scales for ~10 users on at the same time. 

One thing off putting - yeah its 10$ for 10 users, but as soon as I hit 11 users its $1,500 + nearly every addon costs money. 

The $1,500 is the regular price, the $10 cost for 10 users is just a donation. The $10 plan is considered to be the free plan and every $10 dollars goes to some charity chosen by Atlassian. I think it's pretty cool and I respect their initiative.

I just wanted to mention our service Kanban Tool which offers self hosted solution. Our on premise installation allows for offline access whenever and let's you take full control over your data. However, it is not free and aimed towards businesses, you may use our cloud services on our Free plan. Learn more at http://kanbantool.com/kanban-tool-on-site

Whoa, why are we bringing back a topic from July 2013?  To increase post count?

Anyway, now that we're talking about free self-hosted project management software, can I ask y'all what you think of Redmine?  I still use Redmine for project management.  Maybe I'm backwards and stuck in 2009, but is it just me, or have people been switching away from Redmine in favor of JIRA?  Why is that?

Nick

I just did a fresh install of Redmine. I tried Jira and Confluence. I just didn't like it. Redmine seems to make more sense to me. 

1 person likes this

Whoa, why are we bringing back a topic from July 2013?  To increase post count?

Anyway, now that we're talking about free self-hosted project management software, can I ask y'all what you think of Redmine?  I still use Redmine for project management.  Maybe I'm backwards and stuck in 2009, but is it just me, or have people been switching away from Redmine in favor of JIRA?  Why is that?

Nick

Topic is already up to date: "by s.majdak Posted Yesterday, 01:35 PM" I did not bring the topic back. I tried to be helpful.

Oh, no, not you, @vps.systems, I meant @s.majdak.

Anyway, @clarity, I'm glad I'm not the only one who prefers Redmine. =]

Nick

Would like to suggest you the project management tool Output Time ( http://www.outputtime.com/ ) which offers Project Management along with Time Tracking, Invoicing, Expenses Management and Team Collaboration etc. It is features rich and simple to use. This excellent collaboration tool available as Online and Self-Hosted Project Management versions.

Hope this software will suite to your business needs, increase your productivity and improve your Team Collaboration. Try the Live Demo of it to know more.

• Similar Content

• By Hostissimus
      Hostissimus.com hosting are dedicated to providing their customers with the most reliable web hosting service possible. Affordable price plans, secure servers and first class 24/7 technical support make hosting your website with Hostissimus host the obvious choice.
      Are you looking fast upload times? Have you tried different servers, only to find out that you aren't getting exactly what you paid for? Finding the right server can be time consuming and frustrating, but that doesn't have to happen anymore. If you've been frustrated with your server you need to give Hostissimus a try.
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      LIMITED TIME SPECIAL OFFER
      Coupon: 2016-25%Off - For a LIMITED TIME only, new customers can receive a recurring 25% discount on any of our shared hosting plans!
      Coupon: 2016-50%Off - For a LIMITED TIME only, new customers can receive a one time 50% discount on any of our shared hosting plans!
      Coupon rules:

One coupon per customer. Valid for new customers only. This coupon can't be used with any other special offer. Affiliate referrals are ineligible for this coupon.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Main Features:
      ★ Pure SSD (RAID-10)
      ★ cPanel Control Panel
      ★ Softaculous Auto Installer
      ★ Instant Setup
      ★ Daily Bacula Backups
      ★ Apache Web Server
      ★ CloudLinux Operating System
      ★ Multiple PHP Versions
      ★ DDoS Protection
      ★ 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
      ★ 30 Day Money Back
      ★ Free Migration (cPanel to cPanel)

Our Shared Hosting Plans:
      ------------------------------------------------------------
      Shared Hosting - Basic - $1.45/mo
      » 5 GB SSD Disk Space
      » Unlimited Premium Bandwidth
      » cPanel Control Panel
      » Softaculous Installer
      » DDoS Protection
      » Instant Activation
      » Unlimited eMail Accounts
      » Unlimited FTP Accounts
      » Unlimited SQL Databases
      » Unlimited Sub Domains
      » Unlimited Addon Domains
      Learn More | Order Now

Shared Hosting - Standard - $2.45/mo
      » 10 GB SSD Disk Space
      » cPanel Control Panel
      » Softaculous Installer
      » DDoS Protection
      » Instant Activation
      » Unlimited FTP Accounts
      » Unlimited Sub Domains
      Learn More | Order Now

Shared Hosting - Advanced - $3.95/mo
      » 20 GB SSD Disk Space
      » cPanel Control Panel
      » Softaculous Installer
      » DDoS Protection
      » Instant Activation
      » Unlimited FTP Accounts
      » Unlimited Sub Domains
      Learn More | Order Now

Our Reseller Hosting Plans:
      Reseller Hosting - Basic - $14.45/mo
      » 25 GB SSD Disk Space
      » 2.5 TB Premium Bandwidth
      » cPanel/WHM Control Panel
      » Unlimited cPanel Accounts
      » Softaculous Installer
      » DDoS Protection
      » Instant Activation
      » Unlimited FTP Accounts
      » Unlimited Sub Domains
      Learn More | Order Now

Reseller Hosting - Standard - $24.45/mo
      » 50 GB SSD Disk Space
      » 5 TB Premium Bandwidth
      » Softaculous Installer
      » DDoS Protection
      » Instant Activation
      » Unlimited FTP Accounts
      » Unlimited Sub Domains
      Learn More | Order Now

Reseller Hosting - Advanced - $39.95/mo
      » 100 GB SSD Disk Space
      » 10 TB Premium Bandwidth
      » Softaculous Installer
      » DDoS Protection
      » Instant Activation
      » Unlimited FTP Accounts
      » Unlimited Sub Domains
      Learn More | Order Now

Our fast and reliable web hosting is achieved through our advanced network and server infrastructure. We utilise the latest server technology and protection, so you can be rest assured your website is always in safe hands!
      If you have any questions, or for more information, please visit our website or contact us.
    • By Pavel
      Hi there guys,
      I work in a hosting software developing company ISPsystem, headquartered in Russia, and VMmanager is one of our main solutions. It has been launched in 2004 and has been in active development and support since. The solution has great popularity on our local markets (like Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, etc). But we want to extend its popularity worldwide and are now collecting feedback.
      VMmanager is offered in a number of different languages. KVM and OVZ are both supported, along with local and network storages, different OS templates, etc. Runs on CentOS 6, 7 and Debian 7. A detailed description and manuals are on wiki here and there is also a online demo of VMmanager in case you want to take a look.
      Compared to SolusVM VMmanager’s most interesting features are:
      Supported formats for disk image files are lvm, qcow and raw. While SolusVM has only LVM, and that requires specific disk mapping. Migration between nodes, as well as between clusters. VMmanager lets you use KVM virtualization having only one license, while when using SolusVM you need to buy an additional license for each new node. Most operations (like installation of new nodes) are available directly from VMmanager, while SolusVM requires a more extensive use of the console. A lot of hints and tips designed to help new users who are not yet familiar with VMmanager A more affordable price, in comparison, could be important for some users. Recently we launched a free version of the VMmanager, to enable more people worldwide to try it and to collect more feedback on it, regarding functionality, usability, etc. So pretty much want to make sure that it does all it needs to, and is responsive to your needs. The edition allows managing 2 VMs and 16 GB RAM.
      Would be happy to answer any questions on here, and would really appreciate any feedback!

Pavel Kaprovskii,
      Team ISPsystem

P.S. I can say that it was a real pleasure to find vpsBoard with such a strong and live community. And since I’m a new guy here, and don’t want to be considered as a spammer I have asked MannDude if it's appropriate or not. He gave his agreement.

• By HalfEatenPie
      Got the email a few hours ago.  Mandrill will be requiring all clients, current and new, to have a paid monthly MailChimp account.  Mandrill was previously commonly used by some providers here due to their free tier and cheap pricing from then on out.  Since then, it seems Mandrill will be removing the free tier and moving everyone to paid plans which at minimum will generate 10 dollars per month per client.   Here's a post from the Mandrill Blog below:
      At MailChimp, they also posted the following blog post:
      What's your take on this? 
    • By sv01
      What's going on vpsboard?
      1st update link to latest post gone (few week/month ago)
      2nd update link to /activity gone (few day ago) replaced with discovery content, when you use mobile to browsing vpsboard you'll know how hard to find latest post, do you really need to change URL every time there's update on vpsboard?
      and what changes on the next update ?

• By bigcat
      I'm currently paying Softlayer for 1 server in San Jose and another 1 in Singapore with below specs.
      I was hoping to at least be able to find better priced alternative in US.

Usage: Legit software distribution and downloadable content

Softlayer (current)
      HDD: 500GB
      Bandwidth: 20TB
      CPU: 3.5GHz Xeon E3
      RAM: 8GB
      Price: $143

Requirement
      HDD: 500GB
      Bandwidth: Unlimited 100MBps or [email protected]
      CPU: Minimum dual core
      RAM: Minimum 2GB
      Price: Less than $143

KVM or IPMI is a must, unless they have really great 24/7 support.