amuck-landowner

LowEndPing

Nikki

Ah, the good old multi-host looking glass. But re-done with Laravel and Python.

It's simple to explain, it's a web script that lets you ping and traceroute to ip addresses and hostnames, which could be extremely useful for hosts who want to provide a multi-server looking glass from their locations.

It has two parts, the frontend and the backend python script. The python script gets installed on the servers which run the queries, and the frontend installed on a webserver with PHP 5.3+

I'm not entirely sure how secure it is/if it has any bugs, so please exercise extreme caution and report any issues you see. It uses very simple authentication, so you may wish to firewall it still. I also recommend looking into different ways to process the laravel queue (such as beanstalkd or even the queue listener that is built in), since right now it will process it right away, and it may take a long time if a lot of servers are added/some servers are down.

Example:

http://lowendping.nikkii.us/

Source:

https://github.com/nikkiii/lowendping

Last edited by a moderator:

KuJoe

Verified Provider
Does not work for me.

Keeps loading
What browser? It looks like some people are able to use it fine and others are not. I can't use it on Chrome on my tablet but it works fine on Chrome on my laptop.

ricardo777

What browser? It looks like some people are able to use it fine and others are not. I can't use it on Chrome on my tablet but it works fine on Chrome on my laptop.
I have tested it on Firefox that one works, so issue for me is with Chrome on Windows.

KuJoe

Verified Provider
The only browsers I can't get to work are IE10 and IE11.

Working Browsers:

IE9

Chrome Desktop

Chrome Mobile

Default Android Browser

Firefox

Nikki

It should work fine on all browsers since it uses jQuery, and I tested it on Windows with Chrome, Firefox, and IE10. All 3 worked fine.

I'm testing it on my tablet/phone and neither work, it seems like a weird issue with setTimeout not working, so it's simply not updating.

yeah not working for me the progress bar just stays at 100% in Opera 20.0.1387.77

Is there any console that you could check for javascript errors on? I don't want to install another browser on my desktop right now :(

KuJoe

Verified Provider
@Nikki I can see the requests hitting the servers and the response hitting the webserver but it's just not updating the page in IE10 or IE11. What's weird is that it works sometimes in IE11 but when it does work, if I refresh the page it won't work again. I've updated the bootstrap CSS and JS files from BootstrapCDN.com and it works more often than before.

I thought the problem was with my file changes so I reverted everything back to default and it still didn't work so I'm wondering if it has something to do with my webserver settings.

Nikki

@Nikki I can see the requests hitting the servers and the response hitting the webserver but it's just not updating the page in IE10 or IE11. What's weird is that it works sometimes in IE11 but when it does work, if I refresh the page it won't work again. I've updated the bootstrap CSS and JS files from BootstrapCDN.com and it works more often than before.

I thought the problem was with my file changes so I reverted everything back to default and it still didn't work so I'm wondering if it has something to do with my webserver settings.
I'm not quite sure =\ It shouldn't be the jquery calls used to update it, but I'll look into it when I have time.

Until then, I suggest you update to the newest lowendping which adds rate limiting and better validation (Make sure your resolver can resolve AAAA records, your server hosting lowendping doesn't need ipv6 as long as it can resolve the records)

ricardo777

For me it works now.

Nikki

Quick opinion for an update, would result archiving be a good feature? I assume being able to link it to other people/your host would help, and just having some kind of auto deletion time would take care of the whole space taken thing.

Also just pushed a few commits cleaning up a few things and adding a feature or two (And fixing a few derp errors I didn't notice after doing so)

coreyman

Verified Provider
Ah, the good old multi-host looking glass. But re-done with Laravel and Python.

It's simple to explain, it's a web script that lets you ping and traceroute to ip addresses and hostnames, which could be extremely useful for hosts who want to provide a multi-server looking glass from their locations.

It has two parts, the frontend and the backend python script. The python script gets installed on the servers which run the queries, and the frontend installed on a webserver with PHP 5.3+

I'm not entirely sure how secure it is/if it has any bugs, so please exercise extreme caution and report any issues you see. It uses very simple authentication, so you may wish to firewall it still. I also recommend looking into different ways to process the laravel queue (such as beanstalkd or even the queue listener that is built in), since right now it will process it right away, and it may take a long time if a lot of servers are added/some servers are down.

Example:

http://lowendping.nikkii.us/

Source:

https://github.com/nikkiii/lowendping
Hi Nikki - just wondering why you didn't use python for the front end too?

Nikki

Just pushed the result pages/archiving to the git repository, enjoy :)

Hi Nikki - just wondering why you didn't use python for the front end too?
Laravel has a built-in queue system which was perfect for this, along with the ease of use it made it extremely easy to do. I also do not know much python.

Python was chosen for the backend because it is a lot easier to thread and use for the query daemon.

amuck-landowner