amuck-landowner

Backup VPS

AMDbuilder

Verified Provider
Hello,

We are considering offering Backup VPS servers located in West Palm Beach, FL and wanted to find out if there was any interest in this location.  The servers would be located in a Tier 4 datacenter, with Hardware Raid 50.

Thanks for your time,

Patrick R.

sv01

Slow but sure
I choose No, but still need to choose one of disk space :p

I'm already with vultr (and few others) :p so no need backup from another location

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Good to see more options....  

I am always interested.  Depends on network upstreams in my world.  US connectivity is very hit or miss.

AMDbuilder

Verified Provider
Thanks for all of the votes to far!

We have been using this datacenter internally for several months now, and have been very happy with it's performance.  The peers are currently Level 3, Cognet and FPL FiberNet.

Our current uptime for the facility has been perfect, with the exception of some changes causing a drop to 99.983%. Technically this was scheduled, but we didn't suspend the monitoring.

The plans will tentative range in price from $4 to $80 (50GB - 2TB), don't hold me to these numbers nothing is finalized at this time.

tchen

The plans will tentative range in price from $4 to $80 (50GB - 2TB), don't hold me to these numbers nothing is finalized at this time.
Just for the sake of perspective, that same 50GB runs at under $4 at AWS S3.  It's kinda of a no-brainer on which one I'd choose.

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
Google is offering 100 GB for $1,99 too.
Unfortunately for the OP, they are running such a massive organization that they can get away with this. @AMDbuilder will never be able to match that. And for that matter, Google might even be running that at a loss, just to suck people in so the NSA can monitor them and their files :) I wonder how much the NSA is subsidizing?

Last edited by a moderator:

tchen

Unfortunately for the OP, they are running such a massive organization that they can get away with this. @AMDbuilder will never be able to match that. And for that matter, Google might even be running that at a loss, just to suck people in so the NSA can monitor them and their files :) I wonder how much the NSA is subsidizing?
Kinda comparing different things though. Google drive is priced the way it is thanks to compression and dedup. Their actual IaaS line (cloud storage) with an actual SLA runs much higher which is what the OP is competing against IMHO.

AMDbuilder

Verified Provider
@D. Strout is correct, we don't stand a chance of matching Amazon or Google pricing.  Granted, our goal is to keep pricing reasonable (we still want to eat after all).

That being said you would have a little more control over how you access your storage, heck you may be able to squeeze owncloud onto the system.

Where ya at in WPB?  I'm over in Wellington!
We are actually based out of Fort Pierce, but several of our team members are originally from Wellington.  Talk about a small world!

HostXNow

I have a backup VPS which has 4TB with one provider in UK location for $85/month = Bargain. Could have it hosted in USA location for cheaper. Surprised how they are able to offer such high spec for low prices. But then OVH offers 12TB for £114/month... anyone found anything cheaper than those? 

Ps I don't want to take thread off topic. But I answered Yes to poll... be good if one could offer similar deals to Backupsy/OVH.

willie

I gotta say... Ramnode 128MB VPS with 50GB is $15/year with their coupon, about 2.4 cents/GB/month

BuyVM storage KVM is .03/GB in 250gb chunks

Backupsy starts around 0.03 and drops below 0.02 in the larger sizes

Dedicated servers in the affordable range (Hetzner SX60 with 4x4tb) are well under 0.01/gb (raid 5)

You're describing 0.04/GB which isn't that attractive.

Also for large storage servers, stability of the host is IMHO quite important.  If your 10GB vps flakes out, it's easy to move your stuff to another one.  Moving TB's of data from one host to another is a lot harder.

Last edited by a moderator:

willie

http://www.ovh.com/us/dedicated-servers/backup-storage.xml

OVH has ftp/ftps backup that gets down to 0.0084/gb/month on their 10TB plan.  The blurb says you can only reach it from an associated OVH dedicated server, but the control panel appears to let you whitelist arbitrary IP addresses.  I haven't tried it from a non-OVH server yet though.  It isn't a VPS and I'm only mentioning it to supply another data point for low cost managed storage (it's been possible for a while to get large dedicated self-managed storage servers for about this cost per GB).  Hetzner has a similar product with pricing in the same ballpark.

amuck-landowner