amuck-landowner

Looking for cheap dedicated server

steve81

Hello

I'm searching for a cheap dedicated server, with:

• 2+G RAM
  • 4+ logical cores (so, an atom dual core is fine)
  • 2xHDD (software raid is fine, 100+GB) OR san exported disk (supposing that the san space is on raid)
  • unmetered 100mbit (accettabile if after some TB will be capped to 10mbit)
  • 1 IPv4, 1+ IPv6
  • Europe is preferred, but is not mandatory
  • Budget: <=15€/mo
So something like a kimsufi but with two HDD or however disk space on raid. ;)

Someone know a low offer with this specs?

Thanks a lot.

The main use would be a web stack build with openvz containers (www, php, mysql as separated containers); optional I'll put some ipv6 irc bouncers but this isn't mandatory nor the main use.

Last edited by a moderator:

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Online.net, Kimsufi (I know you said this but it really is your main option for that kind of budget), Hetzner, etc.

willie

It may be cheaper to use a single drive kimsufi and replicate the mysql to a vps, if redundancy for the database is is your RAID concern.

steve81

Online.net, Kimsufi (I know you said this but it really is your main option for that kind of budget), Hetzner, etc.
Kimsufi doesn't have RAID.

It may be cheaper to use a single drive kimsufi and replicate the mysql to a vps, if redundancy for the database is is your RAID concern.
Not only, I prefer a RAID rather than a replicated db.

Thanks anyways

VMBox

Verified Provider
Might be an idea to use an SSD VPS provider in the EU (Ramnode) with low latency to OVH to host your SQL on then get two Kimsufis and rsync them?

steve81

Might be an idea to use an SSD VPS provider in the EU (Ramnode) with low latency to OVH to host your SQL on then get two Kimsufis and rsync them?
Is not only the db. I want that all data on the server are at least on a raid 1.

Backups will be done but they are not a solution.

If the disk break tomorrow, I'll spend two whole days to reconfigure the server. ;)

rds100

Verified Provider
Is not only the db. I want that all data on the server are at least on a raid 1.

Backups will be done but they are not a solution.

If the disk break tomorrow, I'll spend two whole days to reconfigure the server. ;)
Or you can spend 2 minutes changing the DNS entry to point to the other server. Or some smart DNS company (rage4) can do it automatically for you, when the first server goes down.

steve81

Or you can spend 2 minutes changing the DNS entry to point to the other server. Or some smart DNS company (rage4) can do it automatically for you, when the first server goes down.
Yes, but right now I prefer to continue to search a small, 2xHDD, dedicated atom.

Thanks.

AshleyUK

Verified Provider
As other's have said, your probably get more performance and reliability from a $15 / VPS than you would from a Server under your $15 budget. Even if they manage to fit 2 Disks within that budget.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Kimsufi doesn't have RAID.

Not only, I prefer a RAID rather than a replicated db.

Thanks anyways
Yes you want raid but your budget is incredibly small therefore it's difficult to even get a second hard drive on it. 

Just get a VM on a host node with RAID.  

steve81

As other's have said, your probably get more performance and reliability from a $15 / VPS than you would from a Server under your $15 budget. Even if they manage to fit 2 Disks within that budget.
"<=15€" != "<=15$"

Thank you for your point of view.

Yes you want raid but your budget is incredibly small therefore it's difficult to even get a second hard drive on it. 

Just get a VM on a host node with RAID.  
I already have *some* VM on *reliable* hosts with raid.

steve81

this is about the cheapest RAID server in Europe: 17.99 euros. G2020 2x500GB drives, 8GB RAM...1 in stock

http://www.firstheberg.com/serveur-dedie-celeron-8g
On the same site there is a server with an atom D525, 2x 500gb hdd @ 12.99€; so the 17.99 is not the cheapest.

Maybe you thought that I want an hardware RAID. Is not a requirement an hardware raid, software one is fine.

Probably I'll order one tonight, if I don't find nothing cheaper.

coreyman

Verified Provider
On the same site there is a server with an atom D525, 2x 500gb hdd @ 12.99€; so the 17.99 is not the cheapest.

Maybe you thought that I want an hardware RAID. Is not a requirement an hardware raid, software one is fine.

Probably I'll order one tonight, if I don't find nothing cheaper.
If you've found it I would get it. You're digging at the bottom of the barrel here.

datarealm

Verified Provider
I'd be really concerned about the stability of a provider offering anything cheaper.  Even at that rate I'd start to worry as they may not even be covering the basic overhead of space, power and bandwidth at that rate ( to say nothing of networking gear, support staff, etc).

TheLinuxBug

I hope the op realizes that when buying a cheap server like he is looking for that often it is older used hardware and hard drives with many hours of use on them that are provided in the offers.  Sure, you might have raid1, but what happens when both of these ancient drives die at once?  You would be better off to purchase a Cloud Server/VPS with a larger reputable provider who already has raid in place with newer hardware, cpu and may even provide free offsite back-ups so you are fully protected.  

TL;DR:

I believe you would be making a poor decision to host anything production on one of these cheap servers you are searching for, hell I personally wouldn't put ANYTHING production on Kimsufi even, but that is just me. Just remember, in the end you get what you pay for -- pay shit, you usually get shit and shit stinks.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
I already have *some* VM on *reliable* hosts with raid.
Well aware.  Probably why you're on this site to begin with haha :p 

My point is exactly what @TheLinuxBug stated.  If you want RAID then more than likely it's something more important to you, therefore unless it's some important computational needs (like what I use my cheap dedicated servers for), you're not going to get quality.  

amuck-landowner