amuck-landowner

GreenValueHost becoming ColoCrossing, dumping providers, etc.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Since GreenValueHost gets so much coverage and is assumed to have some clients, everyone should beware of the following that went out via email and was forwarded to me by a customer.

Dear Valued Client,

We are deeply saddened to inform you today of an unfortunate mishap that has occurred today in regards to our ch1 Chicago node that has called for us to put emergency protocol precautions into place. This email will go into depth regarding what has happened and the measures that we are going to be taking to ensure that negative impact to your hosting experience is minimized as much as possible during this issue.

The IPv4 migration that is scheduled for June 19, 2014 (tomorrow) is greatly affected by this mishap. We have contacted our upstream provider for our ch1 node to announce a /24 IPv4 block to their ISPs earlier this month and unfortunately to our dismay and disappointment, the /24 block has not yet been announced according to BGP records. The existing IPs currently in use for ch1 are scheduled to be revoked/"unannounced" on June 21, 2014, which explains the urgency of the situation for renumbering.

This is as big of a problem/situation as it appears, and as such, the following stipulations have been put in place:

If the IPv4 announcement of our /24 block is not resolved TONIGHT,

> Clients will be immediately migrated to nodes in the ColoCrossing network tomorrow. IPs WILL change however IPv6 will NOT be available. The majority of clients will be migrated to a SATA server and remaining clients will be migrated to an SSD server. Eventually, clients that have been migrated tomorrow (if this stupulation is to occur) will all be consolidated into ONE SSD cached RAID-10 SATA node on the ColoCrossing network.

If the IPv4 announcement of our /24 block is RESOLVED TONIGHT,

> The scheduled IPv4 migration will occur as originally scheduled on the same network with the same upstream provider. However, eventually all clients will all be consolidated into ONE SSD cached RAID-10 SATA node on the ColoCrossing network, with IPv4 addresses changing again for a second time. This will take place near the end of June to the start of July. IPv6 will not be available on the ColoCrossing network.

We are very truly sorry about the inconveniences caused by this. I can assure you that we strive to satisfy all of our clients and ensure quality service, and that our main priority is making sure that our clients are always in safe hands. We believe that the above circumstantial stipulations are the best possible courses of actions to take for the well being of both our clients and the service that we provide.

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us through our helpdesk and we would be more than happy to assist you.

Thank you,

Jon Nguyen, Operations Director

Key words: Clients will be immediately migrated to nodes in the ColoCrossing network tomorrow

Last edited by a moderator:

coreyman

Verified Provider
Since GreenValueHost gets so much coverage and is assumed to have some clients, everyone should beware of the following that went out via email and was forwarded to me by a customer.

Dear Valued Client,

We are deeply saddened to inform you today of an unfortunate mishap that has occurred today in regards to our ch1 Chicago node that has called for us to put emergency protocol precautions into place. This email will go into depth regarding what has happened and the measures that we are going to be taking to ensure that negative impact to your hosting experience is minimized as much as possible during this issue.

The IPv4 migration that is scheduled for June 19, 2014 (tomorrow) is greatly affected by this mishap. We have contacted our upstream provider for our ch1 node to announce a /24 IPv4 block to their ISPs earlier this month and unfortunately to our dismay and disappointment, the /24 block has not yet been announced according to BGP records. The existing IPs currently in use for ch1 are scheduled to be revoked/"unannounced" on June 21, 2014, which explains the urgency of the situation for renumbering.

This is as big of a problem/situation as it appears, and as such, the following stipulations have been put in place:

If the IPv4 announcement of our /24 block is not resolved TONIGHT,

> Clients will be immediately migrated to nodes in the ColoCrossing network tomorrow. IPs WILL change however IPv6 will NOT be available. The majority of clients will be migrated to a SATA server and remaining clients will be migrated to an SSD server. Eventually, clients that have been migrated tomorrow (if this stupulation is to occur) will all be consolidated into ONE SSD cached RAID-10 SATA node on the ColoCrossing network.

> The scheduled IPv4 migration will occur as originally scheduled on the same network with the same upstream provider. However, eventually all clients will all be consolidated into ONE SSD cached RAID-10 SATA node on the ColoCrossing network, with IPv4 addresses changing again for a second time. This will take place near the end of June to the start of July. IPv6 will not be available on the ColoCrossing network.

We are very truly sorry about the inconveniences caused by this. I can assure you that we strive to satisfy all of our clients and ensure quality service, and that our main priority is making sure that our clients are always in safe hands. We believe that the above circumstantial stipulations are the best possible courses of actions to take for the well being of both our clients and the service that we provide.

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us through our helpdesk and we would be more than happy to assist you.

Thank you,

Jon Nguyen, Operations Director

Key words: Clients will be immediately migrated to nodes in the ColoCrossing network tomorrow
Do you think they might have been bought out?

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
You missed the other big GVH news this week  GVH discontinued their reseller program in late February and basically shit on their existing resellers by publicly stating on several WHT threads that their remaining reseller customers were a lower priority when it came to any support issues because their old reseller offers weren't profitable (i.e. server down, tough shit, we'll get back to you in a few days).  After the unethical host was thoroughly trashed by both customers and other providers he changed his mind and decided the remaining reseller customers would receive the same support levels as VPS and dedicated server customers (i.e. still crappy incompetent support but tickets eventually answered instead of ignored).

Flash forward to Monday...GVH launches a new reseller program and advertises it on WHT (I seem to remember something similar also happening with their shared customers when one group of customers was thrown under the bus and sold off, and then a new batch of victims were recruited shortly after who were also eventually thrown under the bus several times).

Now back to the IPs...

The existing IPs currently in use for ch1 are scheduled to be revoked/"unannounced" on June 21, 2014, which explains the urgency of the situation for renumbering.
There's a thread or two (customer complaints naturally) on LET this week where #losing is blaming a wide range of recent problems from VPS issues to  delayed setups of resold CC dedis  on hardware issues (as an incentive for hunting for the threads on LET, CVPS_Adam posted today in one of the threads trying to get an unhappy GVH dedicated customer to switch to CVPS :p )

Anyways, wasn't GVH renting a few IP blocks from Crissic?  Not sure which location he was using the Crissic IPs...

eventually all clients will all be consolidated into ONE SSD cached RAID-10 SATA node on the ColoCrossing network, with IPv4 addresses changing again for a second time. This will take place near the end of June to the start of July.
The question is will CC have any IPs that aren't blacklisted when the change occurs in early July :p  Spamhaus whacked another 32,768 IPs this morning when they blacklisted an entire /17 (reason given by Spamhaus: CC ignoring abuse complaints...again).

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
We are deeply saddened to inform you today of an unfortunate mishap that has occurred today in regards to our ch1 Chicago node that has called for us to put emergency protocol precautions into place.
Wait, what is the actual mishap? Do you only have one Chicago node?

Is this really because you couldn't get 256 additional IP addresses assigned to your single Chicago node? Or is this billing related? Either way, you and CC's IP space will make a good couple.

Haha. So regardless, you're moving to ColoCrossing. Got it. 

Whats even funnier than this is the fact a certain somebody mentioned in the past that he'd drop Colocrossing locations, not add to them. But I guess if money is tight and you can't get your retarded IP space assigned, then Colocrossing is the right move.

Once again, customers are negatively impacted due to your inability to plan properly or sell services at a sustainable profit.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Well all I can say is based on public antics and sales tactics from GVH in recent past, they are cool with the whole IPs for cash racket - no justification required.  That would make them a cookie cutter follower of the CC/CVPS school of dirtball sales/marketing.  Not saying at this point that CC owns them.  But, a few tardy invoices, and the shark tank swims that direction, give up whatever we want or we shut your servers off.

What will almost certainly ensue in this balls deep into CC switcharoonie, is CC will have GVH mass crapping on IPs.

This will in effect GUARANTEE that CC has a good top of the bad network operator showing and maintains their high rank.

All the other flip-flopping with resellers and shared hosting by GVH, uggh.   People buying that from them fail to research and know them from their prior deeds.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
...and.... I guess I missed some fubar of their installation in Amsterdam in the past few days also...

No clue where they are going to migrate AMS customers to.  Colocrossing doesn't offer anything in Europe.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
"Here's the Atlantic.. sink or swim (back to NY)"

...and.... I guess I missed some fubar of their installation in Amsterdam in the past few days also...

No clue where they are going to migrate AMS customers to.  Colocrossing doesn't offer anything in Europe.
So hold on...

Is AMS offline? Or is it back online and it's just speculating that it'll migrate to OVH/Buffalo?

Wasn't there some other provider that did an EU -> Buffalo move just this year?

I'm sitting here wondering what happened that no matter what, their current space is going to get revoked. From the sounds of it they never got crissic, or those "legacy blocks" working?

Is LA still directly via quadranet? Or has that been planned out for a migration?

The shared thing is a really funny one. He had shared back in the day and came off that he actually gave a crap

about them. He offered XX GB space/etc within the plans (a good amount, nothing insane). Within a while, though,

he sold off all those customers to HVH claiming he was losing money on it (fair enough, shared is a very

packed market).

...A couple weeks later he rolls out unlimited everything hosting on SSD's. What changed within that week or so that

made it where offering hard limits were too costly, but unlimited everything SSD is now bank roll? I know they ended

up stopping offering shared because they were too unskilled to handle a completely botched MySQL install.

He's back in it now but who's going to believe they'll get a good service when it took literally months for them

to diagnose/resolve their issues with the old server03? Hell, they even migrated the entire box and completely

toasted their SQL tables since they rsync'd and didn't power off SQL first.

It looks really bad on his part since he went on this huge PR push saying he was moving off CC and that he was

ridding himself of outsourced India support in favor of native english speakers. This is obviously not true, though

because they have a fellow from India handling sales for them at LET.

@SkylarM - Can you shed any light on this maybe?

Francisco

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
Wasn't there some other provider that did an EU -> Buffalo move just this year?

Francisco
HVH did a Lithuania to Buffalo last year when BalticServers refused to give out any more IPs (or at least that was the official reason given  for the migration to Buffalo)

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
HVH did a Lithuania to Buffalo last year when BalticServers refused to give out any more IPs (or at least that was the official reason given  for the migration to Buffalo)
I'd check the announcement date on that, it's possible that's when the buy out happened.

Francisco

serverian

Verified Provider
>This is obviously not true, though

That guy was a joker :)

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
"Buffalo is practically Europe"
Well, that's oddly true, ehh.

I mean Canada isn't very far - literally a river crossing away from Buffalo.  Probably 20% French tonguers there.  That's euro enough ;)

Bandwidth wise and practically Europe?   Meh.  To get to western UK, yeah alright - maybe 80ms+.   Rest of Europe though, it balloons. 

You'd be far better on a number of CANADA-based networks pulling that stunt.  See Toronto or Montreal.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I've read it over but don't see why they'd now be migrating away. It's probably just a bad week :(
Seems like they had some changes going on and their upstreams dropped whatever with IPs.  Failed to announce stuff or refused to announce such.  Who knows, if he has IPs from elsewhere (legacy?) then DC's aren't going to freely do the announces.  I know CC wanted not so long ago (this year) something like $250 for an IP announce. And.. you would be surprised how many know companies don't even know how to deal with announcing IPs that aren't their own.

Unsure if that was someone ribbing us all or genuine.  The all American, later dilluted to all English speaking schtick, yeah it's ummm, proven in the past not to be factual.  I support such notions of standout to customers, but only where you aren't lying to make sales.

I'm sitting here wondering what happened that no matter what, their current space is going to get revoked. From the sounds of it they never got crissic, or those "legacy blocks" working?
I am sure the IPs were used by GVH.  But unsure of the current status and if a relationship.  I know Skylar polices the IPs hyper proactively and won't tolerate any stupidity, spam, problems.

The legacy blocks I am unclear on who had those and believe those to be EU IPs.  Possibly could be used in AMS.

Is LA still directly via quadranet? Or has that been planned out for a migration?
At last check, still Quadranet.  Although some have said Quadras pricing might be too rich for GVH.  Usually when there is drama or pricing bullshit, the core underlying provider issue is... overdue back invoices... Usually people skip out on such and stage other distraction crap around it.

The shared thing is a really funny one. He had shared back in the day and came off that he actually gave a crap
about them. He offered XX GB space/etc within the plans (a good amount, nothing insane). Within a while, though,

he sold off all those customers to HVH claiming he was losing money on it (fair enough, shared is a very

packed market).
GVH and all other newb / refuse to invest in solutions should stay out of shared.  Especially reseller shared.  Abuse and issues with such is a constant circus of horrors.

I stopped counting, so unofficially, I think GVH is on their 3rd shared hosting iteration in the past year~.

It looks really bad on his part since he went on this huge PR push saying he was moving off CC...
Huge PR in his world is spam posting LET.  Does it look bad?  To us, but we are tainted, since we pay attention and research.  To the casual idiot buying his products, they haven't a clue and don't want to have a clue.  You might sell them a clue, but has to be $7 or less a month.

SkylarM

Verified Provider
Anyways, wasn't GVH renting a few IP blocks from Crissic?  Not sure which location he was using the Crissic IPs...
Was, yes. Not sure what blocks they are referring to relating to not being announced, (I'd take a wild guess that it's the HostUS blocks they have swipped to them?), but our blocks are routed properly until the 21st. I'll remain from posting specifics due to client privacy etc etc, but they have known for a month about us revoking IPs, so It's not funny business from our side -- that's entirely on them.

amuck-landowner