amuck-landowner

update on $1 per year vps idea (32MB Club)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtwiscool

rD51eiz.png
Hello i'm Matthew Morgan​
And as you guys know i'm been looking into the $1 per year vps idea.​
They is going to be a price increase with this update but free extras as well.​
 ​
But you guys want to know the plan.​
 ​
Ok here they are:​
32MB DDR3​
16MB VSWAP​
1GB HDD​
64GB Bandwidth​
1 ipv6 address (/128)​
1 port nat for ssh access​
Free DDOS protection at some locations(yes multiply planned).​
Free remote mysql(Limited stock)​
Price: $1.49 per year via bitpay only(Limited stock and lower fees)​
 ​
I hope you guys low how we are moving along.​

Last edited by a moderator:

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
why would you block my picture?
Well the photo is a bit pedophile-like.  No offense.. May I be the first to mention it if no one else manned up to mention it.

I expect people to block my avatar also.  For profanity's sake.

Is that a Winnie the Pooh you are hugging on or what is that?

Last edited by a moderator:

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
So the business side of this...

32MB plans are doable and suitable for older, cheap gear.

Downside is the nodes aren't really peppy or whatever by today's standards....

We know everyone uses such tiny plans mainly for VPN...  VPN isn't polite to CPU... so would seem to be a doable model where one had cheap old toss away gear for a song (price of colo?), and where something inline to accelerate or offload VPN overhead.  and you still have people who will try running whatever in said tiny container.

Like $2~ a year?   Knock yourself out with that.  Sustainable amount?  More like Lowendspirit and $3 a year minimum... and that's in his case reportedly just to break even... Tickets and abuse are going to destroy the viability though..  Must set up some volunteer model or something to offset.

Don't let me discourage you.  I support the whole true low resource VPS concept and think we need to see more people bringing such to market.

SPINIKR-RO

Verified Provider
The big hill to climb here is density. How long is it going to take to fill up a server with 32M accounts, that's the real problem, though I guess at $1 potentially quick.

With a calculator I personally would need $1.1425 a year per account, but that's just with really high end equipment setup, no doubt I could perhaps get lower with different equipment. If I want a profit margin or to cover other costs / expenses it would be more.

The next thing to look at is the potential resource impact a gazillion tiny machines running would be on whatever server you use.

Also take into the %1 bitpay would charge or the 25% PayPal will charge

mtwiscool

The big hill to climb here is density. How long is it going to take to fill up a server with 32M accounts, that's the real problem, though I guess at $1 potentially quick.

With a calculator I personally would need $1.1425 a year per account, but that's just with really high end equipment setup, no doubt I could perhaps get lower with different equipment. If I want a profit margin or to cover other costs / expenses it would be more.

The next thing to look at is the potential resource impact a gazillion tiny machines running would be on whatever server you use.

Also take into the %1 bitpay would charge or the 25% PayPal will charge
the planned price is $1.39 per year.

with Intel xeon E3's

It will be slabbed into multiply xen vps's on the node for stability reasons.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Alternative low fee payments will matter with something like this. Big time. Thus Bitcoin/Bitpay.

I see memory de-deduplication in full effect...   If anyone attempts to do anything and containers are in quantity, the dreaded thread horror shall occur.

I hope OP actually runs with the idea and tries, if he is ready for it. 

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
Given your habit of loading SSH keys into KVMs to snoop processes, what promises are you making that'll convince them to host their VPN, which they'll be relying on for privacy, with you?

What incentive, other than ridiculous price structure, would people have to use this over a professional host with proven experience hosting true minimal plans, like SecureDragon?

nunim

VPS Junkie
This will be OpenVZ based correct?

The biggest issue I see is # of processes on a node, since all of your plans are tiny, it'll obviously take a LOT of accounts to fill your VPS.  If you have say 32GB of ram on the node, you'd need to sell approximately 1100 accounts, assuming a 10% oversell ratio.  

This is going to be a metric fuckton (yes, that's a real measurement) of processes which will choke OVZ.

devonblzx

Verified Provider
This will be OpenVZ based correct?

The biggest issue I see is # of processes on a node, since all of your plans are tiny, it'll obviously take a LOT of accounts to fill your VPS.  If you have say 32GB of ram on the node, you'd need to sell approximately 1100 accounts, assuming a 10% oversell ratio.  

This is going to be a metric fuckton (yes, that's a real measurement) of processes which will choke OVZ.

To be completely honest, OpenVZ has successfully handled millions of processes on servers as long as you have the correct settings and a powerful enough node.  I'm assuming the OP isn't going to know how to optimize the node properly though.  32MB and running 1000 virtual servers on an E3 will only be possible on OpenVZ, Xen and KVM would have too much overhead.  People don't give OpenVZ enough credit.

That being said, this is a disaster from a business stand point, not just a server stand point.  One support ticket opened on the server and your support costs have already made you a huge loss on a server.  Trying to run 1000 32MB systems without support tickets being opened?  Good luck.

devonblzx

Verified Provider
Nevermind the fact that being OVZ makes it that much easier for him to jump into any VPS he pleases and snoop around.
You can launch into the console or mount a server with Xen too.  Never used KVM but I assume the same applies.

coreyman

Verified Provider
I see no margins on this, looks like you would operate at a loss. Many things that are operated at a loss eventually get discontinued so there is no real reason anyone would want to buy this other than that they only have to spend $1.

raindog308

vpsBoard Premium Member
Given your habit of loading SSH keys into KVMs to snoop processes, what promises are you making that'll convince them to host their VPN, which they'll be relying on for privacy, with you?

What incentive, other than ridiculous price structure, would people have to use this over a professional host with proven experience hosting true minimal plans, like SecureDragon?
It's not just a service.

It's a club.

I want to her more about the club actually.

Is it like an old London club with wood-paneled rooms and "silence please" reading areas, were we will all sit around smoking pipes and discussing the finer points of virtualization?

Or is it a gentlemen's club, and if so, who will be giving the lap dances?  If it's Pooh Bear, forget it.

Or will it be a children's club with a membership card, a poster for my room, and special decoder ring?

Status
Not open for further replies.
amuck-landowner