amuck-landowner

Looking for cheap 4 cores / 4GB RAM KVM Windows VPS

RH-Calvin

I am afraid that you won't be getting all your requirements at such low a cost. The memory will cost you a bit more and you can avail it at around $25 to $30 per month.

willie

What do you want with the 4 cores?  You can get a kimsufi dedicated server starting 5 euro (around $7).  The 15 euro one (2 core i3-2130) should be faster than a 4-core 5520 or the like.  Even the 2-core Atom is probably faster on a sustained basis than a vps with 4 shared cores.  If you're doing sustained computation, cheap vps's aren't going to be so great.

comXyz

Thanks for your advice @willie.

I think it's safer for data when using VPS. Because with dedicated server, it's too much for me to pay for Raid 1 / 10.

I will use VPS to host some apps run on SignalR, and I tested on some KVM and HVM VPS of my friends, they run well on 4 cores and 3 GB RAM KVM VPS. And I'm going to add a free live chat service, so I need at least 4GB RAM.

This is just my start up, so I just have a small budget in few more months.

willie

Yeah, lack of RAID is the main drawback of kimsufi.  Still, between regular backups and live database replication (maybe to a VPS) you can possibly do ok on a non-RAID server.  I know of a very big web site that operated that way for years (not sure about now).  They just accepted that if a drive crashed, part of their service (that dealt with a huge image store) would have some downtime while restoring, which was ok for their purposes.

Last edited by a moderator:

comXyz

Yeah, lack of RAID is the main drawback of kimsufi.  Still, between regular backups and live database replication (maybe to a VPS) you can possibly do ok on a non-RAID server.  I know of a very big web site that operated that way for years (not sure about now).  They just accepted that if a drive crashed, part of their service (that dealt with a huge image store) would have some downtime while restoring, which was ok for their purposes.
Thanks @willie, if there is no offer for me, I think I will go with kimsufi.

Schultz

Hello c1bl,

I don't think you will find a provider with a reliable network & reliable hardware within your budget. I believe if you bump your budget up a bit more you can get a KVM VPS (with Windows) from GoodHosting.co

Cheers! :)

willie

I've had three OVH servers (two dedi and one VPS, all in Canada) and have been favorably impressed with their network performance, though other aspects such as their support have ups and downs.

TheLinuxBug

work.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

comXyz

Porthosts.com 
We do not offer refunds on Virtual Private Servers or Dedicated Servers. We will not downgrade a virtual server, we will only offer an upgrade unless a member of the management agrees to downgrade the service. If the virtual server is downgraded, an operating system reinstalled will be required and an additional fee may be charged. If a downgrade is approved, we will only issue you with account credit which cannot be withdrawed

I won't go with it

amuck-landowner