amuck-landowner

Need a new keyboard

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
What does everyone here use for a keyboard? I type and type and type all day. My fingers get sore. I stretch them out and try to give my hands a rest while working though it's come to my attention that a better keyboard more suited for a typist or someone who spends all day at a keyboard is likely a helpful solution too. With that said, what do you guys recommend?

Currently I'm using your standard flat, nothing-special cheap keyboard. Do the ergonomic keyboards produce a noticeable difference in comfort after adjusting to them? I've got bad hands and wrists from years of riding BMX and death-gripping handle bars, now I type all day, just can't seem to get any comfort.

What do you guys suggest?

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
I currently use and AmazonBasics USB wired keyboard. I don't believe it has any special ergonomic features, but I've had no problems with it in that regard and I find it to be a decent-quality keyboard for cheap - typical of the AmazonBasics line.

Dylan

Das Keyboard Ultimate.

Waiting for them to have more of the DasKeyboard 4s so I can pick one of those up.

After using one of these - no other keyboard really compares.  Even being non-ergonomic, they're so much more comfortable to type on than any other keyboard I've tried since the old M1s.
If you're a fan of mechanical keyboards like the Dases (Dasi?) the Corsair K70s use the same Cherry MX switches, so the keys feel the same, plus they're backlit, which I find hard to go without now. They also have a really swanky and tank-like aluminum chassis.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
Honestly, the lack of any labels at all (the Ultimate is sleek black with no markings save the logo) was what originally drew me to it.  Fantastic to have at the office - keeps everyone else off of my workstation.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
People might dislike me for this but...

Dell L-100 Keyboard.

I got one free a while back and I've actually really enjoyed using it.  Right now, I'm away from my desktop but I also bought a Dell L-100 keyboard from the local salvage shop for 5 dollars and will soon be cleaning it up and using it again!  

trewq

Verified Provider
After using one of these - no other keyboard really compares. Even being non-ergonomic, they're so much more comfortable to type on than any other keyboard I've tried since the old M1s.
I used a Das 4 Professional the other day. I noticed the ease of typing instantly and will be ordering one soon.

AThomasHowe

I just use a bog standard keyboard but I've always wanted something like the Logitech G19s with a screen

91shkOa07tL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
I'm usually a huge fan of Logitech (use them for mice, keyboards, speakers, etc)... but I was highly unimpressed with the gaming keyboard.  I have the model above, minus the viewscreen (the G110 I believe).. and sad to say it just feels like one of those really cheap Razer kits - does not have the usual Logitech quality.  Some of the keys actually squeak from rubbing against each other - I'll likely pick up another Das to use on my gaming rig at some point to replace it.

markjcc

I have this keyboard, It's Quite nice I like that the bottom piece it's a resting area for your palm's

For a mouse I would recommend the Microsoft Arc Mouse, Very comfortable since it's curved.

AThomasHowe

I'm usually a huge fan of Logitech (use them for mice, keyboards, speakers, etc)... but I was highly unimpressed with the gaming keyboard.  I have the model above, minus the viewscreen (the G110 I believe).. and sad to say it just feels like one of those really cheap Razer kits - does not have the usual Logitech quality.  Some of the keys actually squeak from rubbing against each other - I'll likely pick up another Das to use on my gaming rig at some point to replace it.
What's the one before it, the G18? With the old school LCD display in it? That's the one I always really wanted but it's just as expensive used as the G110.

Use the screen for anything cool at least?

k0nsl

Bad Goy
Any mechanical keyboard from a solid company will do. I've got a pretty "lame" one, though. A CM Storm QuickFire. I needed one quickly and the store only carried that and something even worse, or only those crappy non-mechanical ones (I cannot stand them). Once you go mechanical you don't go back ;)

But hey, it works. Look, you can tell :)

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
Nah, mine's the one without the screen.  I'm at the office so I can't glance and see the model offhand, but pretty sure the G110 is the one I have.

Yup, found a decent pic, the G110 is the one I have at home.  Logitech gear is usually really nice quality - this keyboard was a bit of a disappointment.  I won't touch Razer again, though - anything from them I've used invariably turned out to be cheap plastic crap.

AThomasHowe

Nah, mine's the one without the screen.  I'm at the office so I can't glance and see the model offhand, but pretty sure the G110 is the one I have.

Yup, found a decent pic, the G110 is the one I have at home.  Logitech gear is usually really nice quality - this keyboard was a bit of a disappointment.  I won't touch Razer again, though - anything from them I've used invariably turned out to be cheap plastic crap.
Oh I missed that bit. Yeah I can definitely see it being pretty shitty without the screen gimmick. This is the one I meant, the G15:

4421_13080522338.jpg

I always thought that screen (not the colour one) would be cool to have CPU temp and stuff and then to say 'New e-mail from xyz!' or whatever.

Last edited by a moderator:
amuck-landowner