amuck-landowner

CodeAnywhere and Free VPSes

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
A while ago I found out about CodeAnywhere, a web-based file editor with support for editing files on FTP, SFTP, FTPS, Dropbox, Github, and Google Drive accounts. They also give you a "Sandbox" with a URL for testing. It's a pretty impressive list of features, with a nice "smart" tabbed editor. Recently they introduced unlimited file revisions and what they call "DevBoxes", which are CentOS 6 VPSes that are automatically provisioned with whatever dev software you want - PHP, Python, Node, and more. I've been a paid member for a while since I've gotten discounts for the past year, and I've found it worth it, especially since I'm often running just a Chromebook. The reason I mention them is because they are essentially giving out free VPSes. You don't get your own IP, but you get a hostname with port access (e.g. "port-xxx.SoMeGiBbErIsH.box.codeanywhere.com"). If you're in to coding, you really should take a look.

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
Is there a self-hosted version I'm not seeing, or do they pretty much lock you into trusting them to use it?
There is no self-hosted version I'm aware of. While I certainly understand concerns about the reliability of such a service (especially when, for instance, they might have your SSH key for SFTP), I've never found any reason to distrust them.

amuck-landowner