amuck-landowner

How does a NAT VPS work?

Schultz

Hi all,

I'm looking for someone to go provide some docs or resources about how NAT VPS(s) work and how to set them up. Couldn't find any real documentation or resources on it.

Thanks all! :)

mikho

Not to be taken seriously, ever!
If you are setting them up yourself on a dedi you need some sort of router in front of the VPS (plural) that will route the assigned porta to the correct VPS.

Think of it like your home and your Internet connection there.

Many devices share one Internet accessible IP.

Is there anything specific you had in mind?

datarealm

Verified Provider
If you are setting them up yourself on a dedi you need some sort of router in front of the VPS (plural) that will route the assigned porta to the correct VPS.
Just to expand on that thought, the router could actually itself be a vps, and then create a virtualized network between the router and the NAT'd VPS.   That is actually exactly the concept used by CloudStack in their advanced networking setup.  Each network gets its own virtual router.  Pretty powerful and yet quite simple to setup and manage.

mikho

Not to be taken seriously, ever!
Just to expand on that thought, the router could actually itself be a vps, and then create a virtualized network between the router and the NAT'd VPS.
I did the exact same thing when I tried a VmWare failover solution where the dedi only had (and needed) one Ipv4.

A small debian in front with iptables (for internet access to some applications) and a ipsec tunnel to/from the production site.

Thanks for clarifying. I was unclear in my first writing.

Hermes Hosting

NAT is a pain to get working especially if your used to bridging i had to do it for the first time when i switched DCs and they refused to refund me. Took me like 3 days to figure it out.

Enterprisevpssolutions

Article Submitter
Verified Provider
What is so hard with this? If you are setting up NAT using a VPS its very easy to do depending on what appliance or application you want to use to setup the NAT interface for your VPS. For a free solution that is easy for beginners look at untangled has a gui interface as well as ssh console for the more advance users. You can use that os to setup NAT with dhcp servers handing out private ips to your VPS.

amuck-landowner