amuck-landowner

BitCoin in the hosting industry case study... who wants to partake?

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Heya,

Long story short ( because I'm about to cook dinner and stomach is growling :) ), we'll soon be working on a 'case study', of sorts, about BitCoin in the web-hosting industry. There still seems to be a lot of confusion about BitCoins from the end-user, I have no interest in touching base on that as there are plenty of guides and topics covering what BitCoins are. My main area of focus for this will be concentrating on providers who accept BitCoin as a payment method to learn how it's been for you.

So, if you're a provider and accept BitCoin as a payment method, is this something you would like to partake in? The piece will hopefully be used as a reference point for the web-hosting industry as there doesn't seem to be very much (consolidated) information regarding accepting BTC. Threads I have seen when questions are asked are often a mix of skepticism from those who don't use it, positive comments from those who do, and honest concern from others. Will be nice to have an organized write-up with factual information provided directly from providers.

I'm still working out the details, but respond here if you wish to partake.

Schultz

I'm all for BTC in the hosting industry. My main provider accepts it and it's all I pay with lately :)

mtwiscool

I accept bitcoin far cheaper then paypal(yes i do support that).

And i have low abuse from people who pay by bitcoin.

SkylarM

Verified Provider
We added bitcoin about a month to a month and a half ago I think? Going strong so far. No issues with the purchases either. A reseller of ours has been accepting bitcoin for a while and I can say we had FBI phone calls relating to Credit Card Fraud, etc being routed through a VPN in his IP range via customers who paid via bitcoin :p

We'd be interested of course.

Last edited by a moderator:

SGC-Hosting

Verified Provider
I'd be more than happy to participate!

Bitcoin and dogecoin have been great additions -- and I love being part of the dogecoin community too.

iWF-Jacob

Verified Provider
Be happy to participate. We've accepted Bitcoin for a bit now, oddly enough have not had a lot of people grab on to it.

zionvps

Verified Provider
Have been accepting bitcoins for a while. Compared to paypal they still have high abuse rate but overall it is manageable.. until now

SGC-Hosting

Verified Provider
Have been accepting bitcoins for a while. Compared to paypal they still have high abuse rate but overall it is manageable.. until now
Really? I've had the opposite experience -- my bitcoin and dogecoin customers have been by far the least abusive -- I'd say they've actually been the most responsible and friendliest.  I just assumed it's because they have nothing to fall back on if their account gets closed due to abuse.

Gaiacom_LC

Verified Provider
Sure, we are among hosting providers accepting Bitcoin for services, I'd be happy to be contacted for your study.

Really? I've had the opposite experience -- my bitcoin and dogecoin customers have been by far the least abusive -- I'd say they've actually been the most responsible and friendliest.  I just assumed it's because they have nothing to fall back on if their account gets closed due to abuse.
At this point, I feel the same.

The abuse potential is a huge factor and something I am still concerned about, but account verification is important as ever -- customers can't be allowed to create completely anonymous accounts, can't be allowed to bypass screening without verification, etc., etc. 

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Thanks everyone. I'll let you know once I get this more organized and create the time (and energy) to proceed with this. Very interested in getting this off the ground, however. :)

SGC-Hosting

Verified Provider
We use BitPay and Coinbase for bitcoin and Coinpayments for Bitcoin, Litecoin, and Dogecoin.  Bitpay is most popular for Bitcoin and Dogecoin is our most popular coin in terms of number of sales.  We had a few users show appreciation for the fact that we have several options for paying with bitcoin (as much as I don't like cluttering the checkout - some users just hate coinbase, which is our preferred option).

FHN-Eric

Verified Provider
We had a few users show appreciation for the fact that we have several options for paying with bitcoin (as much as I don't like cluttering the checkout - some users just hate coinbase, which is our preferred option).
Because it's not safe to keep all your eggs in one place. Do some research, you will find that using online wallets is not recommend.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=346117.0

A reseller of ours has been accepting bitcoin for a while and I can say we had FBI phone calls relating to Credit Card Fraud, etc being routed through a VPN in his IP range via customers who paid via bitcoin :p
That's on the reseller, not you :). Only thing you could do is terminate services if it becomes a frequent issue.

TekStorm - James

Verified Provider
While we do accept Bitcoin via BitPay, for a number of products/services that we offer, it's actually one of the least used methods of payment. For us, the most used payment method is credit card.

SGC-Hosting

Verified Provider
Because it's not safe to keep all your eggs in one place. Do some research, you will find that using online wallets is not recommend.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=346117.0
Of course -- but you don't need a coinbase wallet to checkout with coinbase, nor are we required to keep our coins there.  I prefer coinbase because I receive the coins almost instantly - once they're confirmed, they're mine.  WIth bitpay, I have to wait until the end of the day for payout - and coinpayments just doesn't give me the same level of comfort to store more than ~$5 in coins there at any given time.

DTS-NET

Verified Provider
bitcoin is way better than paying high credit card fees better for our resellers that our just starting out they can keep more of there hard earned money!

amuck-landowner