amuck-landowner

OpenVZ Tester (X2go Install Script)

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
Crap - DO isn't OpenVZ. Oh well, it did seem to install, so hope that info is useful to you.

AshleyUK

Verified Provider
I am looking for someone to test out my script on OpenVZ server running ubuntu server.

Page: https://www.qwdsa.com/converse/threads/ubuntu-x2go-installer.44/

script:

wget https://cdn.content-network.net/Mun/apps/x2go/ubuntu_xs.sh -O - | bash

Should install X2go server and Xubuntu GUI interface.

PLEASE DO NOT INSTALL ON PRODUCTION ENVIRONMENTS!!!!

Would you like us to just test or would you like a test VM to use for a while, could chuck one your way if it would help?

Cheers

Munzy

Would you like us to just test or would you like a test VM to use for a while, could chuck one your way if it would help?

Cheers
I just have no idea if it will work on OpenVZ, I know from a few threads that I have read there are some issues with openVZ and desktops. Not totally sure if that is this case as well.

If you wouldn't mind throwing me a VPS for a bit I'll gladly give it a shot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Geek

Technolojesus
Verified Provider
I can toss a couple of containers your way...  I've got a few free slots on my QA node that aren't doing much right now. 

John Edel

Jetfire Networks, L.L.C.

AshleyUK

Verified Provider
I just have no idea if it will work on OpenVZ, I know from a few threads that I have read there are some issues with openVZ and desktops. Not totally sure if that is this case as well.

Sent you a PM with details, happy for you to have for as long as you need testing, give me a shout if you need anything.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Huh.  From my use (ServerHub OpenVZ VM) X2Go works without needing an OpenVZ install script.  But if you added the Xubuntu theme and XFCE4 automatically then that'd work.  

Munzy

Huh.  From my use (ServerHub OpenVZ VM) X2Go works without needing an OpenVZ install script.  But if you added the Xubuntu theme and XFCE4 automatically then that'd work.  
I just wasn't sure if it would work with OPENVZ. So you had success with it on OPENVZ?

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
I just wasn't sure if it would work with OPENVZ. So you had success with it on OPENVZ?
I didn't use your script because this was wayyy before your script was around.  

But yeah, I installed it on a OpenVZ VM and added the Xubuntu XFCE theme myself by hand.  X2Go works on OpenVZ :)

Geek

Technolojesus
Verified Provider

I'm actually coming to you live from a containerized desktop (Xvnc) environment at this very moment, Ubu 14.04 w/ MATE, 1920x1080 res, even added some goodies along the way, FF, Skype, TBird, Filezilla, Nmap, GIMP, just to see what I could get away with. I'll admit I have concerns about security so I won't be leaving it unattended for long periods or hang out in WHMCS with it any time soon, but as nunim indicated, these are indeed possible.

Kubuntu/Ubuntu Desktop was stable for a while but has been crap latesly

CentOS 5/6 tested spendidly with Gnome 3 or KDE

A stock Debian 7 container with a full Gnome3 + core

Stock Ubuntu 12 & 14 + Gnome seems OK. 13x was pitiful

Fedora just pisses me off due to the assumption of full virtualization which created problems after about 5 minutes. The one time it functioned, the system monitor identified itself as a KVM, among other things it screwed up.

This is the environment I'm on now, which I built a few days back.

http://oohwee.jetfire.support/mate-ubu14-gvfs.png

Not bad for no 3D acceleration - and this is one of the use cases where a cushion of vswap comes in extremely handy.

Okay, enough storytime for my first day.  Back to work.  It's been a pleasure :)

Last edited by a moderator:
amuck-landowner