amuck-landowner

€1,99 dedicated server

devonblzx

Verified Provider
Just ridiculous, these french companies are just being lifted up by their government and able to sell at extreme losses, doesn't  make sense to me.

But seeing as those servers were introduced in 2009 by Dell and they don't exist anywhere else, I'm thinking the servers ended up being a huge failure on Dell's and online.net's part.  That processor is probably about as fast as an Iphone 3G, but still it has to cost at least a euro a month just to power the servers, not to mention a 1gbit unmetered?  I don't get these companies.  They are going to be going out of business fast once the investors and government aid stops.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
I do not own this compney
I doubt if anyone seriously thought you owned a publicly traded company which has a stock market cap of 9.8 billion euros  with almost 14 million customers and whose 2013 revenues were 3.7 billion euros  and which earlier this month said it was interested in buying T-Mobile's USA division. (online.net is owned by Iliad Group).

FYI, I picked up 4 of the Nano's earlier today.  Hard drives on them have 30K-38K hours but for 2 euros a month so what...

I don't get these companies.  They are going to be going out of business fast
There's almost no chance of online.net going out of business because its parent company Iliad is one of the largest companies in France and is very profitable (not to mention its CEO is one of the 10 richest men in France).

I wonder what the performance is on one of them! Might have to tell the old ball and chain to let me have my allowance. Its bad when you near 40 and you have to ask for an allowance! 

Dylan

There's almost no chance of online.net going out of business because its parent company Iliad is one of the largest companies in France and is very profitable (not to mention its CEO is one of the 10 richest men in France).
Yeah: though I don't think either OVH or Online.net are particularly likely to go out of business, Online is almost definitely the safer of the two since it's a subsidiary of a company that's about 1,800% larger than OVH by revenue.

devonblzx

Verified Provider
I guess I jumped to the conclusion they were in the same boat as OVH.  I'm glad they are using this as just a loss leader to gain marketing.  I'm not sure about whether that is a good marketing plan or not, while it does get their name out there, it gets it out to the low end market not the high end business market where it seems the rest of their business would thrive on.

Yeah: though I don't think either OVH or Online.net are particularly likely to go out of business, Online is almost definitely the safer of the two since it's a subsidiary of a company that's about 1,800% larger than OVH by revenue.
I don't have the same confidence in OVH as you do.  I'd say they will be gone or sold in a few years when their investors aren't getting returns and the tax credits stop.  Their business isn't profitable and you can only maintain a non-profitable business for so long.

Dylan

I don't have the same confidence in OVH as you do.  I'd say they will be gone or sold in a few years when their investors aren't getting returns and the tax credits stop.  Their business isn't profitable and you can only maintain a non-profitable business for so long.
OVH is family-owned and has no investors. They also claim to be profitable and the fact that they're able to self-finance $80 million of a $270 million expansion (the rest being a bank loan) means they must be. You can't reinvest unless you're making a profit -- that's simple math.

wlanboy

Content Contributer
That price is a bummer for all (not so good) OpenVZ providers.

2 GB of dedicated RAM and a 1.6 Ghz Via CPU.

Maybe someone is doing the math about the CPU comparision.

1/300 of a Core i5 or 1/1 of a Via CPU.

Schultz

Offer has been terminated. Made a ticket with online.net, "Nicloas" replied and I was advised they would make an exception for me; but ran out of stock. At roughly $3/mo~ for 2GB ram, a medicore/lowend CPU & an unmetered 1Gbit/s pipe, it's a bloody steal.

RobertM

Guess you've gotta get your foot in the door with new clients.  Risky move if you don't have huge financial backings.

Lucky to you who grabbed them while you could.  I can't even imagine the hardware they must have just lying around to put up a deal like this.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
That price is a bummer for all (not so good) OpenVZ providers.

2 GB of dedicated RAM and a 1.6 Ghz Via CPU.

Maybe someone is doing the math about the CPU comparision.

1/300 of a Core i5 or 1/1 of a Via CPU.
I think the party ended for "not so good OpenVZ providers" last year and they've faced an increasing struggle to survive since then (as witnessed by the large increase in deadpools and acquisitions this year)..  Even on LowEndTalk the natives are no longer willing to put up with crappy performance (which is probably  why Kossen was forced to implement his "bad reviews go in the CestPit" policy this week).

Online.net and Kimsufi's cheap Atom/Nano dedis are one reason the "not so good OpenVZ providers" are struggling.  Other reasons include the emergence of high quality providers like Iniz, Prometeus, RamNode, the Pony People, and that guy with a million brands who posts Family Guy videos nonstop, etc offering budget plans, plus pseudo-cloud providers like DO and Vultr, all of which offer reliability that far exceeds anything offered by "not so good OpenVZ providers" at a price that isn't much more than the 2GB/$7 $2 OpenVZ crowd offers.

amuck-landowner