amuck-landowner

Abuse Monitoring for OpenVZ

KuJoe

Verified Provider
Nodewatch is good for a few things, but I have about half a dozen custom scripts that we utilize also. There aren't many options out there so you're better off writing your own scripts for better peace of mind in addition to Nodewatch.

Last edited by a moderator:

MeanServers

Verified Provider
+1 for custom scripts. You can customize what you need much easier than trying to figure out someone elses code if you need to change it. If you don't know how to code your own script, I would still recommend hiring someone else to code it for you, that way you can request features you want and need.

MeanServers

Verified Provider
Could custom scripts be found on git-hub for example?

NodeWatch seems very primative.
Possibly, I have seen some there in the past. You probably will need to change a few things depending on what exactly you plan to do with it however.

Kihi

Flapadar,

Although I cannot say exactly what we use. However, have you looked into Nagios as well as the alternatives in Python / Ruby? 

There are some really good monitoring systems that you could use that would benefit you. One direction I would go is scraping data from vmtop and using that as your metrics. Or even simple iptables logging would do.

Flapadar

Verified Provider
Flapadar,

Although I cannot say exactly what we use. However, have you looked into Nagios as well as the alternatives in Python / Ruby? 

There are some really good monitoring systems that you could use that would benefit you. One direction I would go is scraping data from vmtop and using that as your metrics. Or even simple iptables logging would do.
I don't see the point of third party monitoring ( besides obvious stuff like uptime checks, etc ). Our in house firewall is capable of preventing the majority of denial of service attacks to line rate (especially outgoing ones), spam, obvious SSH attacks with frequent notifications - and then other forms of abuse can be handled with the assistance of our own scripts. 

KwiceroLTD

Verified Provider
One thing which I don't see mentioned here is are you looking to monitor for specific processes/applications? For example, if you just want to rid of outgoing floods, email spam, and IRC, you could very simply write a in-house program to do such.

SkylarM

Verified Provider
We've had good success with VPSMon.
I gave up on that. Constant issues, servers vanishing from program, program not dealing with rules properly, and then Bryson stopped responding to me :( Great potential for that though. When it worked, it worked. Just didn't work often.

amuck-landowner