amuck-landowner

RTO Server

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Obviously, I'd say to watch Dacentec:

https://billing.dacentec.com/hostbill/index.php?/cart/

Inventory right now is the 5420's and 5520's but they have other RTOs and are known for such.  SSD's and addons are in the cart.
I dunno.

I got a bunch of boxes at dacentec and I gotta say i'm not impressed.

They've had real DDOS issues lately and they don't seem to have a fix on the way.

Francisco

dcdan

Verified Provider
I always wondered what is the point of RTO from customer's perspective, especially when it comes to old hardware like that? To me it looks like a good way for a provider to get rid of the old junk and save on recycling costs.

The biggest issue with RTO is, once your lease is over and the hardware becomes yours and eventually fails, you are screwed big time on your own. Repairing old junk is VERY rarely worth it... by the time you get it fixed (paid for replacement hardware + usually overnight shipping + remote hands fees), it would have already been cheaper to just buy a new server from the beginning. And if it wasn't, then just wait a few more days, something else will break conveniently. :lol:

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Dacentec is the only real provider at the moment that does RTO at a cheap price.  My dedicated there (when I had it and now) was/is pretty great.  

I dunno.

I got a bunch of boxes at dacentec and I gotta say i'm not impressed.

They've had real DDOS issues lately and they don't seem to have a fix on the way.

Francisco
Yeah recently (within the last week) they've been getting hit with major DDoS constantly and losing network connectivity.  I don't know how bad it really is but because this isn't a critical system or anything (it can continue computing offline anyways), it isn't a big problem for me.  I do hope though that they get this sorted out ASAP. 

Personally from my experience, Dacentec is sometimes a hit or miss, but after a few tickets with their support ticket (or Josh Justice, awesome guy) they'll get you setup nicely.  

I always wondered what is the point of RTO from customer's perspective, especially when it comes to old hardware like that? To me it looks like a good way for a provider to get rid of the old junk and save on recycling costs.

The biggest issue with RTO is, once your lease is over and the hardware becomes yours and eventually fails, you are screwed big time on your own. Repairing old junk is VERY rarely worth it... by the time you get it fixed (paid for replacement hardware + usually overnight shipping + remote hands fees), it would have already been cheaper to just buy a new server from the beginning. And if it wasn't, then just wait a few more days, something else will break conveniently. :lol:
It is a benefit from the provider side and the customer's side.  Some people want the ability to keep the machines once they've paid for it.  I mean hell might as well keep it if you're going to use it anyways right?  In addition, after 12 months, you can continue with the service (paying at the same level) and they'll continue with the hardware replacement, or you can move on to colocation and they'll drop the hardware replacement part of the service.  Most of the time, if it's a service you have RTOed with them, they have the parts on-hand and would take care of it pretty quickly.  

Also, while the hardware itself may be a bit dated, it doesn't break as often as you'd think.  The hard drive I recently moved on to (switched machines recently) seems to be a brand new 2TB HDD!  

In the end, again its a hit or miss on the hardware quality, but in the end some people would rather own the machine if they're going to use it for an extended period of time anyways.  

Last edited by a moderator:

SGC-Hosting

Verified Provider
Open a ticket with us or send me a message - we should be able to work something out with your budget.

raj

Open a ticket with me, and I'll pretty much ignore it within your budget and specs.

iWF-Jacob

Verified Provider
Dual Xeon (Harpertown) 5506

24GB RAM

2x 250GB SSD

5TB Bandwidth @ 100Mbps

USSHC datacenter: http://lg.ia.iwfhosting.net

$150/mo and own it in seven months. Then $75/mo colo (month to month) or $69/mo paid quarterly.

Last edited by a moderator:

iWF-Jacob

Verified Provider
That's an interesting play on the numbers :)  I like the approach.

Glad to see some offers out of USSHC DC.
Thanks! The USSHC datacenter is definitely on the pricey end of the spectrum, hence colo is fairly high. Add to that that the power consumption on these machines is fairly high, and well... There you have the expensive colo. We do have a pretty big footprint at USSHC and actually have an exclusivity contract with them.  

amuck-landowner