amuck-landowner

looking for dedicated sever

Vijay

Hello,

My friend is loking for a dedicated server.

Here is the requires specs

CPU: 4 cores

Mem: 16GB+

Disk: min 300G (Need dual disks Raid1 config, SSD cached preferable)

NW: atleast 100MBPS, 2-3TB transfer per month

Budget: $25/M

-Thanks

Vijay

Nett

Article Submitter
Verified Provider
Well...you have to at least 1.5x (if not double) your budget to get 16GB RAM + 2 drives

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Hello,

My friend is loking for a dedicated server.

Here is the requires specs

CPU: 4 cores

Mem: 16GB+

Disk: min 300G (Need dual disks Raid1 config, SSD cached preferable)

BW: atleast 100MBPS, 2-3TB transfer per month

Budget: $25/M

-Thanks

Vijay
16GB of RAM puts you at $40+.

SSD cache isn't happening in this price range.

Datashack + Wholesale Internet have some of these specs but @ 8GB of RAM @ around $29/mo.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Thanks.. I have forwarded the info to my friend. I have advised him to go with Wholesaleinternet (4 GB, 2 X 250GB disk for $29/Month)
If you're gonna spend 30 dollars a month with Wholesaleinternet, then I'd suggest your friend get this: https://www.wholesaleinternet.net/cart/?id=199

Dual L5420 (8 cores at 2.5 GHz), 2x 250 GB HDD and 8 GB RAM.  It's at $39/month but if you use the coupon code "save10" you get 10 dollars off (recurring) and it comes down to $29/month.  

I don't know how long it'll last because they've been doing that promotion for a while, but it's something better than what you're currently planning.  

You can do the exact same thing at Datashack here: https://www.datashack.net/cart/?id=173

coupon code "save10" and it'll bring it down to $29/month (remember, Datashack is the same company as WholesaleInternet, if I recall correctly they were bought out a while ago by the owner of WholesaleInternet).  This only gives you a single 500 GB HDD and a 20 TB of bandwidth on a 1 Gbit port, in comparison to 100 Mbps Unmetered from WholesaleInternet. 

Datashack's network and WholesaleInternet's network are exactly the same thing.  

I hope I helped you guys in some way.  

Last edited by a moderator:

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1414369

They listed the offer below on WHT yesterday and it sold out in a few hours but you can always contact them and see what else they have.  They still have some i3's ($30) and single disk L5420's.

CPU: Intel Dual Xeon L5420 (2.50 GHZ x 8)

MEMORY: 16GB ECC DDR2

HARD DRIVE: 4x 250GB SATA

$40.00 / month / $0.00 Setup

looking glass: https://www.reliablehostingservices.net/glass/
You just have to keep reminding me of Reliable Hosting Services :)  Tempting.

Any idea about their network and network protection?   Dacentec, a long favorite of the cheapos out there continues to get dinged by DDOS attacks, so constant concern and bunch of people looking for alternatives.

QuadraNet_Adam

Verified Provider
Just saying:

Sometimes going with a cheaper provider may not be worth the savings, I would suggest adjusting to a realistic budget as it can go a very long way with the added peace of mind and better support/service. Your valuable time and most importantly UPTIME is critical, so when things go south you need a provider who offers true 24x7 onsite support, ready to assist you at anytime of the day. Not from a provider that has to drive miles to a datacenter to help you, or rely on another company's remote hands, but a provider who is physically at the same facility in which your servers are at, ready to walk to your server when you call in for help.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Just saying:

Sometimes going with a cheaper provider may not be worth the savings, I would suggest adjusting to a realistic budget as it can go a very long way with the added peace of mind and better support/service. Your valuable time and most importantly UPTIME is critical, so when things go south you need a provider who offers true 24x7 onsite support, ready to assist you at anytime of the day. Not from a provider that has to drive miles to a datacenter to help you, or rely on another company's remote hands, but a provider who is physically at the same facility in which your servers are at, ready to walk to your server when you call in for help.
On site support is pretty important the few times a year something actually really breaks.

When it comes to who provides such, you can toss out all the resellers, as you will have monkeys in the middle and ticket times will be in hours instead of fractions of hours.

It is a pre-sales question / discovery if who you are buying from actually operates in and has staff 24/7 at the location you are considering.

Based on what L5420's and similar cost these days, you'd do better on price to buy a machine outright and colo it.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
but a provider who is physically at the same facility in which your servers are at, ready to walk to your server when you call in for help.
Reliable Hosting would fit that description since they built their own DC and it is staffed by them.  No idea about the network in West Virginia though...

When it comes to who provides such, you can toss out all the resellers, as you will have monkeys in the middle and ticket times will be in hours instead of fractions of hours.
That's always been my rule with dedicated providers or anything that I'll be hosting something critical on.  I also no longer use any providers (VPS or dedicated) that don't own their own equipment and IP space (the lone exception is a VPS/cloud provider in Cape Town who doesn't own their own IP space but they've been in business 10 years and the odds of them doing a migration with forced IP renumbering are slim since there really isn't anywhere else to migrate to in Cape Town :p )

amuck-landowner