amuck-landowner

Automatically provision dedicated servers... how?

45ACP

How do some companies automatically deploy new dedicated servers for their customers when others make take 3-10+ days to deliver one manually? Assuming the servers are in stock and racked already (not custom) what solutions are available that will power them up and build the OS for the customer?

shunny

NOC-PS is an example of a software, foreman is another. 

But I think it gets down to how disciplined the provider is and how committed they are in deploying servers as quickly as possible to customers. 

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
NOC-PS is a really fancy frontend to PXE.

If you having some developers you could put together your own system but NOC-PS is so affordable that it comes down to 'why bother' unless you need something really fancy.

Francisco

Xeepi

Verified Provider
NOS-PS is really good option to consider, however it does not provide support for WHMCS module any more, sigh...

LinMin is another option, as well as FastDeploy, but never had any experience with them, anyone could share?

rds100

Verified Provider
NOS-PS is really good option to consider, however it does not provide support for WHMCS module any more, sigh...
On the other hand the WHMCS module is not encoded so you are free to use it as a base and make whatever changes and customizations.

Xeepi

Verified Provider
On the other hand the WHMCS module is not encoded so you are free to use it as a base and make whatever changes and customizations.
That's why many providers are still using it, maybe NOC-PS will re-consider to continue the WHMCS module development in the future, who knows.

trewq

Verified Provider
That's why many providers are still using it, maybe NOC-PS will re-consider to continue the WHMCS module development in the future, who knows.
If people are still using it then why would they bother putting money towards it?

msp - nick

Verified Provider
How do some companies automatically deploy new dedicated servers for their customers when others make take 3-10+ days to deliver one manually? Assuming the servers are in stock and racked already (not custom) what solutions are available that will power them up and build the OS for the customer?
Doesn't urbersmith do this?

MartinD

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
Unless you have quite deep pockets and want to work with infuriating software where the devs believe they are gods then it's not really an option.

fileMEDIA

Verified Provider
NOC-PS is fine and really cheap. You have full access to the API and can develop all required functions and can also process VMs.

Currently nothing in this prices which can beat it.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I've used Noc-PS as end user.  Dacentec uses it.

Rather nice software and it just works.

From a customer perspective,  yeah,  I want to see more Noc-ps and similar rather than waiting for datacenter staff to fuss with things and manual install then hand over.   Saves heaps of times.

TurnkeyInternet

Verified Provider
with the customization clients want - it's a crap shoot you can rely on auto provisioning to a large extent for more than rescue and reformat/rollbackup and restores of existing clients.    That said, if you run a ford-model-T approach (3 server model/configs only) a tool like Noc-PS or Linmin is fine - or just using your own pxe loaders automation is the way to go. 

Steven F

Verified Provider
We're working on our own solution. It's relatively simple, actually, to do basic OS installations. I'm getting my home server test lab setup next week and will be working on more advanced features (six SuperMicro servers and two Cisco switches, nothing fancy). :)

TurnkeyInternet

Verified Provider
Remeber with cisco switches "ip helper" is your friend  (per port)  :)  Home growing it is the best, even you end up replacing it some day with a commercial product you learn a lot of the underlying aspects to make it better overall even with another product.

layerbyte_ben

Verified Provider
I attempted to give NOC-PS a try, but had a question regarding one of the features and sent a request for information via their contact method. After a few days wait, I ended up getting a one line sentence telling me to go look on their site for the information I want. Not real helpful, as what I was looking for was not on the site..

amuck-landowner