amuck-landowner

Whats Your Monthly Mobile Data Use

KMyers

Hello All,

I commonly find myself bouncing between my desks and on the road. I tend to rack up A LOT of mobile data use. I know I am a heavy user but wanted to ask... How much mobile data do you use in a month?

If you are on a Family Plan, just give your total, not the family.

In my case, I tend to use around 45 GB per month (and around 1-2 GB of Tethering).

My Billing Cycle ends on October 15th and I am already 24 GB in.

rmlhhd

Verified Provider
I have 1TB of data although I rarely go over 1GB unless I'm tethering in a fast 3G or 4G area.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Not very much:

KF9Fchl.png

I very rarely use my phone. Generally it's to browse Reddit while on the toilet or check vpsBoard when not at home.

yomero

God...

Here (MX) the mobile data is really really expensive compared with that plans that you have.

For prepaid contracts, we are talking about 40USD per 3GB/month getting some "packages". But for data "on the go", it costs around 0.20USD per MEGABYTE.

The postpaid users maybe can get something like 10GB for the same money. And that's with most companies (average).

I am a prepaid user, without that packages... you may imagine how much I try to minimize the data usage, just for the very essential things (messaging)

TekStorm - James

Verified Provider
Usually, upward of 16GB; my base monthly quota.  I generally use most all of my it, sometimes going over, but try to stay under though.  Here in Canada, our mobile data plans suck ass; and, overages, for the most part, are stupidly costly.

Last edited by a moderator:

AnthonySmith

Verified Provider
I use a few GB but could use a hell of a lot more, the problem is there are only a few providers that offer good coverage here and those that do think 500mb is a TON of data.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Hello All,

I commonly find myself bouncing between my desks and on the road. I tend to rack up A LOT of mobile data use. I know I am a heavy user but wanted to ask... How much mobile data do you use in a month?

If you are on a Family Plan, just give your total, not the family.

In my case, I tend to use around 45 GB per month (and around 1-2 GB of Tethering).

My Billing Cycle ends on October 15th and I am already 24 GB in.
Holy cow!  45 GB?  Dang!!!

My plan originally only had 550 MB per month, but I kept going over (of course...), so I upgraded to a 3 GB Plan.  I guess now I use about 2 to 3 GB of data every month.  

Sometimes I go over, sometimes I'm under.  Most of the time, I feel like i'm at a good medium. 

Of course...  85% of it is the Reddit News app...  Then 125 MB is all snapchats.  Rest is... history... 

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
I'm almost always within range of wifi, and my mobile data is (to some degree) pay-as-you go (I use Ting). In general, I try not to use much, and in fact I have it turned off completely right now. I haven't had a data plan for long, just six months, and in only one of those months did I go over 100MB.

KMyers

Holy cow!  45 GB?  Dang!!!

My plan originally only had 550 MB per month, but I kept going over (of course...), so I upgraded to a 3 GB Plan.  I guess now I use about 2 to 3 GB of data every month.  

Sometimes I go over, sometimes I'm under.  Most of the time, I feel like i'm at a good medium. 

Of course...  85% of it is the Reddit News app...  Then 125 MB is all snapchats.  Rest is... history... 
I have had some months where I have used close to 60 GB. 45 GB is my avg.

I love listening to PodCasts while I am in commute. Some are done via a normal Podcast while others are hosted on YouTube. At least 15-20GB of my data is from YouTube PodCasts.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I probably push 2-3GB a month.  

I'd use more, but they want an arm and a leg for such.   So I heavily restrict use unless I must or experience a BW outage like I had happen last month with landline.

Still considering Tmobile which would have my use going up since top plan is use friendly.  But unwilling to splurge for McYuppie Trend phone.   Knowing full well it be broken, drowned, etc. in no time.

Guess I'm strange.  I'd prefer a high use data plan with tether ability.  Just a good ole fashion access point.   Then I'll use a halfway alright tablet.   Phone are blah.  Nice phones are getting into size territory of tablets, so why not take the proper route.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
I have had some months where I have used close to 60 GB. 45 GB is my avg.

I love listening to PodCasts while I am in commute. Some are done via a normal Podcast while others are hosted on YouTube. At least 15-20GB of my data is from YouTube PodCasts.
Wowza.  I listen to spotify as I commute (premium, therefore I download my playlists).  But yeah that's definitely one way to use a ton of data.  If I had unlimited data I'd go absolutely crazy with it, and probably constantly have my VPN on and stream music haha.  

RA4W

Verified Provider
Not very much 3-4GB per month. Costs way to much to get extra the 3g/4g net is so overloaded where i live, a few years ago you could get an unlimited plan but not anymore.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
I have 1TB of data although I rarely go over 1GB unless I'm tethering in a fast 3G or 4G area.
... How do you have 1TB of mobile data >_> What country are you based in?

I do around ~500MB/month on average. Some months are higher because I'll be careless and tell cyanogenmod to update the firmware.

Francisco

rmlhhd

Verified Provider
... How do you have 1TB of mobile data >_> What country are you based in?

I do around ~500MB/month on average. Some months are higher because I'll be careless and tell cyanogenmod to update the firmware.

Francisco
UK - Three

"

• All you can eat data gives you worry free internet use. Even if you used your phone for every minute of every day you could only use, subject to TrafficSense™, around 1000GB each month. We may use this cap to identify inappropriate use of the service, such as commercial use, which isn't permitted under our terms and conditions.
"

mikho

Not to be taken seriously, ever!
somewhere between 4-5 GB / month on my phone and the same from my ipad that I use for tethering.

wlanboy

Content Contributer
My phone tells me that it is:

• 700 MB per month on mobile
  • 900 MB per month on WIFI
Mainly caused by:

• 1x O 365 Account
  • 2x Exchange Accounts
  • 2x IMAP Account
  • Feedly
  • Whatsapp

Coastercraze

Top Thrill
Verified Provider
Currently around 2 Gb since I've switched from Sprint to AT&T. Before I could barely get anything for a while.

amuck-landowner