amuck-landowner

Cloning SD Card for ARM device

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
About to monkey with a custom bootable SD card for an ARM device.  Got ahold of such part of a gear purchase... The normal dance moves to get this going are more time and patience than I have to spare.

Since I am prone to trying stuff and blowing things away, would like to preserve the original SD card image and copy it back or to other SD cards when doing reinstall.

Any recommend best process / tool for this?  Want to make complete replica of the SD card.  It's a bootable SD card with the OS.

rds100

Verified Provider
Assuming the sd card appears as /dev/sdb when you plug it in your PC, you can do:

dd if=/dev/sdb of=sdcard-backup.img bs=1M

and to write it back to the SD card:

dd if=sdcard-backup.img of=/dev/sdb bs=1M

Of course you should check what device it is first, you don't want to start dd-ing some hard disk.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Assuming the sd card appears as /dev/sdb when you plug it in your PC, you can do:

dd if=/dev/sdb of=sdcard-backup.img bs=1M

and to write it back to the SD card:

dd if=sdcard-backup.img of=/dev/sdb bs=1M

Of course you should check what device it is first, you don't want to start dd-ing some hard disk.
Interesting approach.   My first merry go round on this since I always use standard prebuilt stuff that is a download away.   This whole custom built image thing has been frightened that I'll modify something, wipe the OS and image will be fubared..  Cause that's how things work the first couple of times ;)

amuck-landowner