amuck-landowner

Server with decent sized hard drive

RTGHM

So, my computer broke down awhile ago, so now I'm stuck on this shitty tablet system, and I am looking for a server, with about 100 gb hard drive, debian 7 preferred (but centos / ubuntu will do), 1 ip address minimum, 2gb ram minimum, but 4gb would be ideal.

It can be dedicated to a large KVM container, not picky, but none of that openvz crap.

Post offers. Trying to keep it under $20 / month.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Haha seems someone has issues with OpenVZ.

I can't say KVM would be 100% possible, but I do know it's 100% possible with OpenVZ. 

RamNode would work (4 Cores, 2 GB RAM, 110 GB SSD-Cached, KVM) but is at $28/month.  

If you were willing to settle with OpenVZ, VPSDime has a 250 GB HDD Storage plan with 2 GB RAM and 2 TB worth of traffic for $5/month.  

If you're in Europe then I'd suggest you check out OVH. 

Or also check out all the cool providers we have here.  

I'm going to assume that since your computer is broken you're probably going to be using this server as a remote desktop, then I'd suggest you probably tell us where you're located geographically because you're probably going to want a more responsive remote desktop rather than wait 10 seconds for an app to launch. 

RTGHM

I can't say KVM would be 100% possible, but I do know it's 100% possible with OpenVZ. 

RamNode would work (4 Cores, 2 GB RAM, 110 GB SSD-Cached, KVM) but is at $28/month.  

If you were willing to settle with OpenVZ, VPSDime has a 250 GB HDD Storage plan with 2 GB RAM and 2 TB worth of traffic for $5/month.  

If you're in Europe then I'd suggest you check out OVH. 

Or also check out all the cool providers we have here.  

I'm going to assume that since your computer is broken you're probably going to be using this server as a remote desktop, then I'd suggest you probably tell us where you're located geographically because you're probably going to want a more responsive remote desktop rather than wait 10 seconds for an app to launch. 
Germany currently is the closet to me (I'm on the outskirts of Germany), I looked at Hetzner, it's just overpriced for me right now. Seeing as this is the cheapest computer I could find, and it costed about $300 usd

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
That's because you're talking Dedicated server.  

If you're in Europe, then I can guarantee some of our European providers here can get you a pretty nice VM.

Worst case scenario, you'll always have OVH then.  

willie

Hetzner Marketplace has some ridiculously cheap servers though above your $20/month figure but much more powerful than your spec.  See:

https://robot.your-server.de/order/market

Prices include 18% EU VAT and if you're exempt from that, you're not charged it.

Take a look at the i7-2600 and i7-3770 and E3-1245/1245v2 offers with 2x 3TB disks.  They are terrific deals, much less than even OVH charges for comparable gear.  In October the same machines were even cheaper (by a few euro), but they wised up and started charging more again.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
1. Online.net's Avoton C2750 dedi w 8GB RAM/1TB HDD (or 120GB SSD) is about $20 monthly (15.99 euros plus 20 euros setup fee).

2. Worldstream Celeron G1620 dedi w/  2GB RAM/500 GB HDD for 9.99 euros (semi-annual payments are required to get the 9.99 price otherwise it's 14.19 for quarterly payments or 18.39 for monthly payments)

3. FirstHeberg's KVM VPS's also are in your price range: 2GB RAM/100GB drive 8 euros, 3GB/150GB 10 euros, 4GB/200GB 13 euros.

All 3 of them have low latency to Germany.

Many of us have issues with OpenVZ :p

RTGHM

1. Online.net's Avoton C2750 dedi w 8GB RAM/1TB HDD (or 120GB SSD) is about $20 monthly (15.99 euros plus 20 euros setup fee).

2. Worldstream Celeron G1620 dedi w/  2GB RAM/500 GB HDD for 9.99 euros (semi-annual payments are required to get the 9.99 price otherwise it's 14.19 for quarterly payments or 18.39 for monthly payments)

3. FirstHeberg's KVM VPS's also are in your price range: 2GB RAM/100GB drive 8 euros, 3GB/150GB 10 euros, 4GB/200GB 13 euros.

All 3 of them have low latency to Germany.

Many of us have issues with OpenVZ :p
See, this is why I'm going broke. You tell me three good server ideas, all in a cheap price, and I just have to open the visa again.

RTGHM

If someone could find me a dedicated server under $50 semi-annually, that'd be amazing, I've been searching, no luck.

I'm fine with stuff over-seas like US/Canada, etc.

Serveo

Verified Provider
If you are still searching, we can offer you a decent VPS based on KVM and high availability.

amuck-landowner