amuck-landowner

2015 New Years Resolutions?

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Almost time for us to come up with resolutions for the new year that we may or may not (statistically though, do not) keep for an entire year. What things are you going to work on in 2015? Quitting smoking? Losing weight? Saving more money? Finish a project? Start a new hobby?

All I really want to do in 2015 is cook more, which in turn will likely help me eat better/healthier. Which should help me lose a bit of softness gathered around the edges from a year of sitting at a desk when combined with an effort to exercise a bit more.

In 2014 I quit smoking, though it wasn't my first attempt or even kicked at the beginning of the year but I did eventually kick the habit. So I'm hoping I can develop better cooking habits and spend more time in the kitchen doing things like preparing multiple meals at once and cooking food that can also be re-heated later for easier consumption and to avoid eating fast food or making pre-packaged meals or kits that aren't very good or healthy.

What about you?

raindog308

vpsBoard Premium Member
My new year's resolution is to be more patient with people who ask me stupid questions about computers.

Seriously, that's my resolution.  I am pledging to not reply to my relatives with LMGTFY links.  I promise to repeat the same freaking instructions for unzipping a .zip full of pics I put on Dropbox.  I will try my best to explain that you can't send your 320x240 cell phone pics to Walgreen's and expect a quality 8x10.  I will even be nice when aunts call me from their home phone and are in a panic because "all the icons on my iphone suddenly started wiggling and there are Xs on all of them!" and I will try to resist the urge to tell them that hackers have taken control of their phones.

I'm telling people I can't possibly keep this up for long and made fade down the stretch, so form an orderly queue and get your questions in early...

(I really am serious about this.  When I was younger I was more patient.)

Last edited by a moderator:

wlanboy

Content Contributer
My new year's resolution is to limit the amount of time spent on work.

Looking to this year my long hours had an average peak of 55 hours per week.

Something I want to change.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
My New Years resolution is quite simple, stop ordering pizza once a week. 
You should start making your own at home.  Was doing that for a few years after I moved from big city and had local choices which are horrendous.  Lately fallen back to local choices (which are still horrendous).   Keeps tempting me to open a tiny pizza place just so I eat better and crush local yo-yo's and their sawdust cheese and who knows what in the dough.

Getting rid of my sobriety problem.
Sobriety isn't a problem.  Need to make more use of your non sober time ;)  Drinks and fire, drinks and firearms, drinks and science ;)

Going to be the annual lots more blubber loss intents.  Folks around here should set up some fitness / weigh loss challenge and give rewards to a worthy charity.   Might save some lives, learn a lot and in process help some group that is actually doing something worthy...

and...

I left out my own New Years failures.

1. Make better use of my time. 

2. Spend more time with family.  They are understanding, but time flies and no one is getting younger.

3. Get stuck steady on my nutrient supplementation program that I've cobbled together.

4. Increase strength and flexibility prior to spring/summer growing season.   Because it's annual routine and gets harder each year to whip myself back into shape.

5. Start a new business officially.  Been sitting on something for a long while, among the pile of other half developed concepts.  

2015 lines up to be a breakout year for me, I think.   Absent stumbling too hard or running myself down too much.

eva2000

Need to dedicate more time to improving Centmin Mod LEMP web stack installer and get .08 release out of beta :D

More money and less weight are the usual ones too :D

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Getting rid of my sobriety problem.
"Aldryic doesn't get drunk, he just gets more Russian".

For me, it's to lose weight and actually try to have a social life. The weight part isn't hard, I have really bad eating habits. Lots of pop, candy, junk food, etc. I go for a good amount of walks (twice a day for 2KM - 5KM) so I'd burn the weight pretty quick.

As for the social life, I've not dated in probably 5 years by now just putting time behind the company. With us getting 2 more techs as well as a dedicated sales/marketing person, I think I can finally move to a 9-5 job as well as spend a lot more time doing stallion features.

Fran

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent

For me, it's to lose weight and actually try to have a social life. The weight part isn't hard, I have really bad eating habits. Lots of pop, candy, junk food, etc. I go for a good amount of walks (twice a day for 2KM - 5KM) so I'd burn the weight pretty quick.
Ald and the fine spirits :)

I am trying to convert over to be a wine sipper.  But the kind with the gallon jug in the I'tal'yin neighborhood sort.   Good red table wines for the healthy benefits while still getting a glass or two down the old hatch.  Helps with health and at times I can benefit from the depressant effects that slow me down 1%.

The weight part is simple when you convert from bad eating to just more fresh foods.  Or take my nutrification route and live on powder drinks a few times a day with much smaller food intake.  Saves me a fortune on groceries.  Hell I eat a ton cause most food is nutrient deficient.  But when on my nutritification, I eat what I did when I was probably 5.   Goes from eating a large pizza in one sitting to a whopping 2 pieces.  My overeating at times has been the story of legends.  Gross mass eating.  At times for show, others for training and weight gain.

Looking forward to more development time into Stallion.  Think the direction and addon features launched in 2014 have been good wind in the sails.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
To increase my Gun Collection and lose additional weight. 
Heck yeah! I'd buy more but I hardly have time to go to the range to enjoy the ones I do have... but damn, I may pick up a VZ2008 soon as I think that's going to be my next one... ahh!

And the weight thing, I hear ya. I've gotten soft around the edges over the past couple years. Time to fix that so I don't have to buy any new jeans, haha.

Y'ger'damned right.

You should start making your own at home.  Was doing that for a few years after I moved from big city and had local choices which are horrendous.  Lately fallen back to local choices (which are still horrendous).   Keeps tempting me to open a tiny pizza place just so I eat better and crush local yo-yo's and their sawdust cheese and who knows what in the dough.

Going to be the annual lots more blubber loss intents.  Folks around here should set up some fitness / weigh loss challenge and give rewards to a worthy charity.   Might save some lives, learn a lot and in process help some group that is actually doing something worthy...

and...

I left out my own New Years failures.

1. Make better use of my time. 

2. Spend more time with family.  They are understanding, but time flies and no one is getting younger.

3. Get stuck steady on my nutrient supplementation program that I've cobbled together.

4. Increase strength and flexibility prior to spring/summer growing season.   Because it's annual routine and gets harder each year to whip myself back into shape.

5. Start a new business officially.  Been sitting on something for a long while, among the pile of other half developed concepts.  

2015 lines up to be a breakout year for me, I think.   Absent stumbling too hard or running myself down too much.
I've been thinking of making some cast iron skillet pizza in the oven actually. vpsBoard would do good to have more people cooking and sharing things that can be done while multi-tasking sysadmin tasks in a different room, haha.

Probably going to do a 2015 fitness challenge thing, seeing as several of us have mentioned goals in that department. My main goal is to not have to buy new jeans or shirts.

Good luck with your goals as well.

As for the social life, I've not dated in probably 5 years by now just putting time behind the company. With us getting 2 more techs as well as a dedicated sales/marketing person, I think I can finally move to a 9-5 job as well as spend a lot more time doing stallion features.

Fran
I hear ya'. We'll probably do a vpsBoard fitness challenge. Count calories, show/discuss progress and challenges and what not. I used to walk daily as well but haven't so much lately unfortunately. =/

Also hear ya' on the social life... Good luck!

fatboy

I know I am not a regular amongst you guys, so hopefully you don't mind a stranger having a post :)

I am generally really really bad with resolutions to the point I have made none for the past few years, however, with the new year comes new plans:

1.Grow and make more use of veg in the garden, been at it for years but this year I will go for it properly and sell off excess.

2. Based on #1 I wouldn't mind looking into teaching others how to grow their own. I am a big upcycler, I am the annoying person diving through your skip or taking pallet wood from outside factories. From that I have a garden full of raised beds and pots, I want others to join in and make the most of their own food which isn't covered with or injected with some nasty stuff to keep it 'fresh' for three months! Would love to have my own nursery but the mortgage company are just not helping :D

3. Become less anti-social (I don't think I am but others do, I think I am selectively-social!) and tolerate idiots for two or three more minutes longer than normal.

I could go on, but to be honest, three for me is a big thing.......lets see how it goes!

Happy new year to everyone, hope 2015 brings something good to you all, unless you are an ass, then I hope karma plants something up your behind.......too anti-social?? ;)

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I know I am not a regular amongst you guys, so hopefully you don't mind a stranger having a post :)

I am generally really really bad with resolutions to the point I have made none for the past few years, however, with the new year comes new plans:

1.Grow and make more use of veg in the garden, been at it for years but this year I will go for it properly and sell off excess.

2. Based on #1 I wouldn't mind looking into teaching others how to grow their own. I am a big upcycler, I am the annoying person diving through your skip or taking pallet wood from outside factories. From that I have a garden full of raised beds and pots, I want others to join in and make the most of their own food which isn't covered with or injected with some nasty stuff to keep it 'fresh' for three months! Would love to have my own nursery but the mortgage company are just not helping :D
We have another addicted gardener ;)  Welcome, good to see you again :)

I am with you on #2.  I am still looking for the right farmstead or larger farm to call home.

More nerdfolk should try the gardening thing.  Get the exercise in, get some son, sort of have to care for some other living things.  It's therapy.

And yeah, gardening all depending can be a social activity.    

Hopefully, we hear more about your gardens and plans for the upcoming season.

fatboy

Gardening is indeed a cracking stress reliever - I have a regular 9-5 that, without my garden and of course a good family, I would be in an institute at Her Majestys pleasure!

We are lucky to have a biggish garden (in UK town terms) and we have chickens as well. We practice square foot gardening and its paying off!

Glad its not only me with the living on the land dream.....one day!!

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Yeah Square Foot gardening is something I do too.  My beds are due for replacement this next year.

I don't do chickens, but ducks instead.  Purely for pest control and driveby self composting.

:)

k0nsl

Bad Goy
Let's see: read more books, be more productive, try to save more money (lol, why not?), and perhaps begin exercising again. I'm not sure what else there is to do.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Glad its not only me with the living on the land dream.....one day!!
Oh man, you'd love the pomegranate orchard I managed a few years ago. 20 acres, we planted over 1,000 new pomegrante trees. Also had figs, plums, apricots and pears growing on the property. For gardening, we had 20, 16X4 foot garden beds with a drip system for starting seedlings (later dug to be watered on property irrigation but that took a couple attempts and a couple floodings to work properly... haha). Also had about 20 chickens, same amount of pidgeons, 40+ peacocks and since the property served as a wildlife refuge for migratory water fowl... in the winter time there would be thousands of geese and ducks. It was surreal. I'd still be out there today if it weren't for contract issues/disagreements that had me leaving a year later.

I've been meaning to get back into gardening again here, but living in city limits with limited backyard light and my odd work schedule that has me up and awake and alert mostly at night has left me not doing it. My dream though is to find some acreage out in the country that I can buy, and until I can build a homestead there use it for camping, gardening, and shooting range.

It is very rewarding to grow something from seed to edible food.

My life used to be a lot more fun and interesting. Now I'm just a desk drone praying for the day I can return to nature. :p

Just look at this fucking place!

Ql5OskD.jpg

QSFNyML.jpg

puBglu6.jpg

LQYt6Fg.jpg

pAMHiv7.jpg

Chick coup in back ground!

DROElRi.jpg

ZhLgOjE.jpg

Five ponds, all winter long these fuckers were everywhere!

JZFgGoU.jpg

We kept pigeons too!

Sorry for the thread hijack. I just had to live vicariously through my past for a moment. :)

But yeah, getting outside and playing in the dirt and with animals again would be wonderful.

amuck-landowner