amuck-landowner

Looking for a VPS provider that allows backing up whole VPS and downloading the backup.

KuJoe

Verified Provider
I only know of one provider that allows this, but unfortunately it doesn't help me because I need the VPS to be outside of our network. Resource-wise, the more CPU the better but 1GB of RAM and 15GB of disk space is fine for me. Looking for something under $20/month. Any suggestions? Thanks.

perennate

Verified Provider
Well, we have snapshot functionality and you can turn the snapshot into a volume (detachable block storage) and attach to a VM, from which you can then download via the VM; probably you can find something easier to automate though.

Edit: actually OpenStack glance has image-download command, maybe I can add that to panel

Edit2: yeah I think I'll add the feature, should be ready in half hour.

Last edited by a moderator:

KuJoe

Verified Provider
Well, we have snapshot functionality and you can turn the snapshot into a volume (detachable block storage) and attach to a VM, from which you can then download via the VM; probably you can find something easier to automate though.

Edit: actually OpenStack glance has image-download command, maybe I can add that to panel

Edit2: yeah I think I'll add the feature, should be ready in half hour.
What format is the snapshot/backup file? Can I use it to create a KVM or VMware VPS or is it only compatible with OpenStack?

perennate

Verified Provider
What format is the snapshot/backup file? Can I use it to create a KVM or VMware VPS or is it only compatible with OpenStack?
If the feature works it would be qcow2 file which you can boot KVM immediately from. If you use volume method then it would be attached as a block storage device to a VM, which you can turn into raw disk file with dd. I'll update post if the image retrieve feature works, should just be HTTP download link then.

rds100

Verified Provider
Maybe just any KVM VPS with CDP backup syncing all the time (every 5 minutes for instance)?

mikho

Not to be taken seriously, ever!
Don't you have a couple of vmware servers with different providers?

You could probably use the veeam replication feature to make sure the vm is up2date on both the master and the destination.

KuJoe

Verified Provider
Thanks all, I found a much easier solution for this that I can use on any provider. :)

KuJoe

Verified Provider
Care to share? :)
I'll be just be running OpenVZ on the VPS and I can schedule vzdumps accordingly and run them manually as I need them. This way I can easily restore to them to any of my OpenVZ nodes or any other Xen/KVM/VMware/Whatever VPS. The VPSs are mainly for websites so I don't need any fancy kernel modules or anything else that OpenVZ can't offer me.

Last edited by a moderator:

trewq

Verified Provider
I'll be just be running OpenVZ on the VPS and I can schedule vzdumps accordingly and run them manually as I need them. This way I can easily restore to them to any of my OpenVZ nodes or any other Xen/KVM/VMware/Whatever VPS. The VPSs are mainly for websites so I don't need any fancy kernel modules or anything else that OpenVZ can't offer me.
Nice and easy solution. Glad it was that easy for you!

amuck-landowner