amuck-landowner

For those of you using GMail, how often do you backup your mailbox?

KuJoe

Verified Provider
Like the title says, how often do you backup your GMail mailbox if at all?

I was reading a thread on WHT about somebody who had their e-mail account closed by Google for some reason and it got me thinking about the thousands of e-mails I have and what I would feel like if they disappeared one day.

Personally, I backup all of my GMail accounts nightly using Gmvault so thankfully I don't have to worry over a closed GMail account. I can only imagine how many people don't backup any of their e-mails at all.

So share your backup setup for your GMail or other e-mail accounts that are hosted by a 3rd party (if you're running your own mail server then you better be backing up your data at least nightly if it's even remotely important).

trewq

Verified Provider
Oh... It's never even crossed my mind because, you know, it's google.

Will set backups up tonight for my 200000+ emails...

comXyz

Hmm, never thought about that before. Anyway my emails are auto forwarded to my personal mailbox.

mikho

Not to be taken seriously, ever!
I would probably survive if they closed one of my accounts. Anything important comming in there is saved elsewhere depending if it's login information, invoices, market research. :)

It's nice to have it there for easy search but not using it as a long time saving place.

Same goes for Google drive, files synced elsewhere for safe keeping.

Aurimas

Verified Provider
Never? I don't really think it's gonna crash. Unless it's the end of the world, that is.

KuJoe

Verified Provider
Never? I don't really think it's gonna crash. Unless it's the end of the world, that is.
I'm not worried about it crashing, I'm worried about them closing down my account for no reason like others have experienced. You're welcome to put all of your faith and trust into Google, but remember if your e-mails disappear one day you will only have yourself to blame. ;)

It's happened before, it will surely happen again some day. Just hope Murphy isn't near your data when it does.

When access was returned to some accounts they were empty. All traces of e-mails, attachments, chat logs, and contacts were gone. Some users even got the “Welcome to Gmail” message as if they were new to the service.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for this gmvault, it looks great, and I am gonna test it soon!

I don't think I have ever backup'ed my main gmail account, and while I would survive if I suddenly lost access to it, there's a lot of valuable data there that I'd rather keep :)

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Like the title says, how often do you backup your GMail mailbox if at all?

I was reading a thread on WHT about somebody who had their e-mail account closed by Google for some reason and it got me thinking about the thousands of e-mails I have and what I would feel like if they disappeared one day.

Personally, I backup all of my GMail accounts nightly using Gmvault so thankfully I don't have to worry over a closed GMail account. I can only imagine how many people don't backup any of their e-mails at all.

So share your backup setup for your GMail or other e-mail accounts that are hosted by a 3rd party (if you're running your own mail server then you better be backing up your data at least nightly if it's even remotely important).
I am going to give Gmvault a try.   The project could be more clear about documentation and flow, but I guess I'll figure it out.

Would be nice to be able to port data out of Gmail regularly and pipe it into some other mail system for archiving / redundancy.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
... and stupid newb question ...

Does Gmvault support ongoing backups?   Like I run it today against the motherload, then here onward run it to get the new stuff appended to backup collection?  Hoping it supports this and can script / run it all from commandline interface....  will do backup chore and put idle resources to use.

Steven F

Verified Provider
... and stupid newb question ...

Does Gmvault support ongoing backups?   Like I run it today against the motherload, then here onward run it to get the new stuff appended to backup collection?  Hoping it supports this and can script / run it all from commandline interface....  will do backup chore and put idle resources to use.

Different phases of a backup operation
A backup operation is organised in 4 phases:

• Initialisation phase: During this phase, the connection to the Gmail Server, the user authentication and Gmvault-db loading happen.
  • Email Backup phase: During this phase the Gmail server will be requested and only new emails will be saved and stored on disk.
  • Chat Backup phase: This phase is similar to the previous one and will save new Gmail Talk chat messages if the chat message can be seen on IMAP.
  • Cleaning phase: During this phase, the Gmvault database will be checked and all emails and chats that have been deleted from the GMail account will be suppressed from the Gmvault-db.

eva2000

Link gives me a 404.
strange worked before but seems it https://www.cloudhq.net/

i.e. https://www.cloudhq.net/dropbox/synchronize/gmail

their blog always has examples of different ways to use cloudhq.net http://blog.cloudhq.net/

pricing https://www.cloudhq.net/dropbox/prices and free 1yr for bloggers who write reviews of cloudhq.net 

We also offer discounts for nonprofits, religious organizations, 

charitable organizations, public schools, and students. Please contact us.

Free for bloggers. Please sign up and write a review of cloudHQ. 

If we approve, you will receive 1 year free of our Premium Plan. Please contact us.

raindog308

vpsBoard Premium Member
I periodically open Outlook on my desktop and let it download all the mails.  That's the extent of my backups.

I should look into gmvault - thanks.

BTW, Google administratively closing your mailbox is not the only threat.  What if Google is hacked or has some malicious internal activity?

Awmusic12635

Verified Provider
I'll admit I hadn't ever thought of it until this thread. Only 152k more emails to backup using gmvault.

AlphaNine_Vini

Verified Provider
Yes. I guess that is a good idea when your email Inbox in floating with thousands of emails. You can clear them and keep it in a backup.

amuck-landowner