• Announcements

• MannDude

Current state of vpsBoard   02/04/2017

Dear vpsBoard members and guests:

Over the last year or two vpsBoard activity and traffic has dwindled. I have had a change of career and interests, and as such am no longer an active member of the web hosting industry.

Due to time constraints and new interests I no longer wish to continue to maintain vpsBoard. The web site will remain only as an archive to preserve and showcase some of the great material, guides, and industry news that has been generated by members, some of which I remain in contact to this very day and now regard as personal friends.

I want to thank all of our members who helped make vpsBoard the fastest growing industry forum. In it's prime it was an active and ripe source of activity, news, guides and just general off-topic banter and fun.

I wish all members and guests the very best, whether it be with your business or your personal projects.

-MannDude
Munzy

Programming Language

47 posts in this topic

On 02/01/2016 at 11:48 AM, wlanboy said:

Don't forget Android.

Good point! I was so focused on non Java languages on the JVM that I forgot that you can run the Java language on platforms other than the JVM (well, one anyway).

Incidentally, you can run a number of languages (including some that also run on the JVM) on the Android Dalvik VM. So if you run one of those on Dalvik you have incrementally replaced all of Java for your own code but can still call Androids Java APIs natively.

51 minutes ago, graeme said:

Good point! I was so focused on non Java languages on the JVM that I forgot that you can run the Java language on platforms other than the JVM (well, one anyway).

Yup. There are some VMs you won't expect:

• HaikuVM: Atmel AVRs (Arduino)
  • IKVM: Java for Mono¬†
  • JC: Java bytecode to C
  • Mika VM: Embedded devices

Those are JVM implementations, not an alternative VM that runs Java - i.e. unlike Dalvik they run Java bytecode.

Interesting nonetheless: I had not heard of HaikuVM or Mika, as I am woefully ignorant about embedded stuff.

Question from a disheartened PHP lifer, are there programming languages out there that don't limit the context to variants of 'echo' and 'print'?

2 hours ago, HN-Matt said:

Question from a disheartened PHP lifer, are there programming languages out there that don't limit the context to variants of 'echo' and 'print'?

Ruby :-)