amuck-landowner

VPS Newbe looking for a server

apoc

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for my first VPS. Primarly the focus is on privacy (e.g. no logging, ..)

and I'd like to run:

• TOR relay
  • VPN server (for <3 users)
Maybe some day I'd add:

• IRC server
  • Jabber server
  • Mail server
If possible a debian server is prefered. I don't have a preferd location, as long as my privacy is kept.  I would rent this server for private use for at least one year.

To be honest I don't know what hardware requirements I have, as I don't know yet what the services above require.

thank you,

apoc

Last edited by a moderator:

OpticServers

Verified Provider
Hi,

We allow all of the requirements you want, we offer this for as low as £1.7 per month for a 256MB RAM, 10GB SSD, 1 IPv4, Unmetered Bandwidth, 40Gbps DDoS Mitigation VPS.

EDIT: Pricing per year for this would be Specification would be 30 Euro

Last edited by a moderator:

apoc

What's your budget?
I'm not quite sure what to spend on this. I did some research and found - obvioulsy - very high differences in price.

I think 120 euro a year would be my limit, if there's no chance to achieve this I will have to spend more I guess.

rmlhhd

Verified Provider
I'm not quite sure what to spend on this. I did some research and found - obvioulsy - very high differences in price.

I think 120 euro a year would be my limit, if there's no chance to achieve this I will have to spend more I guess.
For 10 euro per month or 120Euro/yr I can do the following - 

1CPU Core E3-1245v2

2GB RAM

100GB HDD RAID1

1Gbps 

DDoS Protection

Paris - France

30 Day money back guarentuee

apoc

Hi,

We allow all of the requirements you want, we offer this for as low as £1.7 per month for a 256MB RAM, 10GB SSD, 1 IPv4, Unmetered Bandwidth, 40Gbps DDoS Mitigation VPS.
Your offer sounds good, where are the servers located and how do you treat my privacy?

apoc

For 10 euro per month or 120Euro/yr I can do the following - 

1CPU Core E3-1245v2

2GB RAM

100GB HDD RAID1

1Gbps 

DDoS Protection

Paris - France

30 Day money back guarentuee
Thank you for the answer!

I feel like 1GB RAM and 50GB HDD would be enough for me.

How does France handle privacy in terms of logging?

rmlhhd

Verified Provider
Your offer sounds good, where are the servers located and how do you treat my privacy?
Paris - France (OVH)

It's be KVM so I'll have no direct access to your files, unless you get me a DMCA notice or anything like that I'll have no need to check. You can also encrypt the data if need be.

OpticServers

Verified Provider
We are Located in United Kingdom, London and as we are our own Datacenter and not a Reseller we do not investigate any Reports unless they are effecting our network or its a court issued report.

rmlhhd

Verified Provider
Thank you for the answer!

I feel like 1GB RAM and 50GB HDD would be enough for me.

How does France handle privacy in terms of logging?
In terms of logging? There's no traffic logging or stuff like that from what I'm aware of.

rmlhhd

Verified Provider
They're pretty lax with enforcement but I don't think OVH allows Tor. Even relay nodes.
They allow Tor, I've got a few Tor relays with them. I don't know about Exit nodes but I wouldn't host that anyway.

RTGHM

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for my first VPS. Primarly the focus is on privacy (e.g. no logging, ..)

and I'd like to run:

• TOR relay
  • VPN server (for <3 users)
Maybe some day I'd add:

• IRC server
  • Jabber server
  • Mail server
If possible a debian server is prefered. I don't have a preferd location, as long as my privacy is kept.  I would rent this server for private use for at least one year.

To be honest I don't know what hardware requirements I have, as I don't know yet what the services above require.

thank you,

apoc
What payment method you thinking about? I have some spare room on one of my servers, if you're paying via BTC, I'll whip up a VPS with these specs:

1 GB RAM, 100 GB Disk, 1 IPv4, IPv6 available on request, 100 mbit unmetered, located on a spare server in Germany.

Price is $15 a month.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I for one would be avoiding mixing all those daemons together on the same box and especially on the same IP.

Too easy to get that pile labeled for abuse or similar and cause other problems in your deployed stack.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
Paris - France (OVH)

It's be KVM so I'll have no direct access to your files, unless you get me a DMCA notice or anything like that I'll have no need to check. You can also encrypt the data if need be.
DMCA is a US law and you're offering a service in France (and the contract for the server you're renting from OVH is governed by French Law) so why would you need to check his files if he got a DMCA?

@OP, if you want privacy in Europe I'd recommend CloudVPS.  They actually respect privacy and will only act on a complaint if they get a court order from a Dutch court.  They are also ISO27001 and NEN7510 certified for data security, and offer high availability, a free global CDN, private networking,...and are within your price range (1GB RAM is about $9 monthly).

rmlhhd

Verified Provider
DMCA is a US law and you're offering a service in France (and the contract for the server you're renting from OVH is governed by French Law) so why would you need to check his files if he got a DMCA?

@OP, if you want privacy in Europe I'd recommend CloudVPS.  They actually respect privacy and will only act on a complaint if they get a court order from a Dutch court.  They are also ISO27001 and NEN7510 certified for data security, and offer high availability, a free global CDN, private networking,...and are within your price range (1GB RAM is about $9 monthly).
I was being too specific, I'll correct myself.

Files will only be removed/changed and/or checked if I was to receive a court order under French/EU law.

blfr

I don't know about France but some European countries have a DMCA-style notice and take-down procedure where the administrator is obligated to block access to infringing content when they receive a credible notification to its nature.

AlphaNine_Vini

Verified Provider
You have a good budget . We can provide you a VPS plan with following specifications: 

o 4,096MB RAM Total O 3,072MB PHY + 1,024 ABSTRACT 0 2.27GHz CPU W/8Cores *Subject to fair use o 150GB HDD O 1.5TB Bandwidth 0 Bitrate 100Mbps o 1IP Address 0 RAID 10

If you have already taken one. Its fine. Else contact us.

amuck-landowner