amuck-landowner

Windows License?

Asim

I have a VirtualBox VM where I want to install a licensed Windows (7/8.1/2008 R2/Whatever). Are there monthly leased licenses available for Windows?

I am an end user, not a corporate company so I cannot get into the Gold partner plan etc.

Any ideas?

RTGHM

I don't believe so, however I'm pretty sure MSDN will give licenses out for it, and their other products assuming you have a MSDN license.

If you tell me what exact windows version you want to install, I'll see if I have a un-used spare license sitting around.

Otherwise, you could just since it's in a private vm, just crack it it.

Asim

@RTGHM I want any windows license as long as its legit. No, I dont have MSDN license since im not a dotNET developer or the likes :(

Asim

@qps I am looking for one windows license on monthly basis. I guess SPLA is for service providers with big license requirements

PwnyExpress

In theory anybody can partner with Microsoft under the SPLA agreement.

That being said however, monthly reporting requirements is probably going to drive an end-user away from doing just that. You're much better off buying an MSDN subscription instead of going through all the hoops of signing a SPLA.

Kakashi

Verified Provider
As far as I know the only license which is permitted for use by Microsoft in a shared hardware environment is SPLA. So if this is the case and you want to go total legit then that's the only option. If it's the only VM on that server then you can pretty much use any version of the liense. I would go for MSDN as suggested if it's for your personal use :)

TurnkeyInternet

Verified Provider
If your virtualbox VM is hosted in a datacenter, you can usually get them to lease you the license under their SPLA.

Windows 7 you can't use SPLA - but windows server 2008 and 2012 you can.

For home use, work use, where there is no spla available - then the only other option is a corporate volume license agreement (windows 7 enterprise can be done on this)

again you said you are not a corporation so presuming you dont have that.

so in short, there is no rental option (monthly pricing) for you on windows 7, or server editions.

Your next best legit/legal option would be to sign up at microsoft as a developer, or for one of their many programs (biz spark, or somethign 'spark' they change it around ever 6 to 12 months) and you likely can get in on a FREE suite of licenses including 1 or more server edition licenses, and SQL server license etc.  Its designed for start-ups to create on the windows platform by giving them the 'intro' licenses for free until you go into full production (i.e. host it and start selling something).  TEchnically those developer licenses would be legit for you to use at home/office.

Hope that helps!

amuck-landowner