amuck-landowner

Average or adequate pay for (remote/work from home) L1 staff?

Wambo

If my past threads have been a indicator I am doing research about this industry. I'm wondering what people consider an adequate pay for L1 Support Member who work from home in the USA. From what I understand a L1 support member would be the guy who does basic tasks such as things that can be done via web control panels or built in modules, has basic Linux knowledge to do general troubleshooting, can install/configure basic things and be able to communicate to customers and staff if the issue is too difficult for them to fix. Is that a good understanding of what a L1 support member does?

What would be considered average pay assuming the worker had enough work to keep busy but not be overwhelmed? I've searched some job listings on here and on webhostingtalk but most do not list salaries or payments so it's hard to get a good idea of what such a thing pays generally.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Real companies pay real money.

That said, someone touching customers directly and juggling the company balls yeah, shouldn't be peanuts pay.  Full time gig?   2k hours a year = $30k, perhaps a bit more.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
Real companies pay real money.
I've searched some job listings on here and on webhostingtalk but most do not list salaries or payments so it's hard to get a good idea of what such a thing pays generally.
"Real companies pay real money" , so check something like GlassDoor or Indeed salary search  Real companies also pay real benefits (see this job listing for Linode tech support for their job requirements, responsibilities, and benefits)

WebHostingTalk job listings aren't the best place to go when trying to gauge average salaries because many of the businesses posting help wanted ads there don't have the financial resources to hire actual employees or to pay them industry standard wages so they usually hire contractors (many of whom are underage) who'll work for peanuts: paid by ticket, or paid a monthly rate that isn't much above minimum wage (ex. GVH and it's "Level 3" "Vice President" contractors), and some contractors will even work in exchange for a freee-veee-pee-ess.

Last edited by a moderator:

haloelite3

Good companies will always do good pay towards their staff as in the end they are the ones who will be keeping the company running correctly in terms of hardware and maintenance.

Some companies do it the cheap way and take people on called "interns" and this is so they do not have to pay them much and do not actually have to  pay tax at all - however this is the cheat way and I personally do not agree with it. Work out how much you can pay layer 1 staff and then look for the staff.

Hope this helps.

Jonchun

I'd say 25k-30k a year is "good pay" for a L1 support member. (One that is a USA work from home and not outsourced). With proper English/Grammar, fair knowledge of linux, and good communication. They should be able to handle basic issues, and only escalate things for complex network related issues, or strange server bugs. 

Steven F

Verified Provider
People can throw out all the numbers they'd like. Here are some real world numbers:

HostGator L1: $10 an hour

HostGator L2: $15 an hour

However, most would probably pay a remote employee less.

An L3, depending on their knowledge and location (COL is nearly double in LA versus Houston) could make $20 - $35 an hour. For remote, I wouldn't pay more than $20 an hour.

Our salaries are essentially in-line with the above numbers, but it also depends heavily on experience and what we hired each staff member for (some have more responsibilities).

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
$10 hour fulltime @ 2000 hours = $20k

$15 hour fulltime @ 2000 hours = $30k

$20 hour fulltime @ 2000 hours = $40k

Seems reasonable per se.   Those are really remote worker numbers.  In office / on location, are going to be a bunch more from the employee status overhead alone, higher cost of living, etc.

VPSAliens

Verified Provider
Average L1 Starting Salary from working at home is $1,600 - $2,00 a month which I know from past experiences. $20k - $25k year is the Norm for L1. I have seen an L1 position starting at $2,500 a month in Canada for Remote. L2 is $2,000 - $2,500 and L3 really depends on the company and the Experience of the L3.

Steven F

Verified Provider
$10 hour fulltime @ 2000 hours = $20k

$15 hour fulltime @ 2000 hours = $30k

$20 hour fulltime @ 2000 hours = $40k

Seems reasonable per se.   Those are really remote worker numbers.  In office / on location, are going to be a bunch more from the employee status overhead alone, higher cost of living, etc.
Actually, given that a mortgage in Houston is ~$1,200 a month (on average), you're looking at some pretty decent wages. That's why quite a few support offices are there. Two people making $10 an hour can actually live pretty comfortably in a house.

Cost of office space, et cetera is pretty fair as well.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Actually, given that a mortgage in Houston is ~$1,200 a month (on average), you're looking at some pretty decent wages. That's why quite a few support offices are there. Two people making $10 an hour can actually live pretty comfortably in a house.

Cost of office space, et cetera is pretty fair as well.
Houston is a strange place.   Realize it's only major US city without zoning regulations over real estate.   So people can be as eclectic, trashy, or hip as they want with their housing.  All of which I fully support and has lead to lower real estate costs in Houston historically.  But Houston's property costs are rapidly increasing.

$1200 mortgage is pretty damn hefty.  I mean shearly if just mortgage and not bundling property taxes talking about $280-290k purchase price.

If 2 people make $10 hour full time x 2000 hours = $20k each x 2 = $40k income

40k PRE-TAX household swinging a $280-290k purchase?  They need $28k for 10% down.   Plus moving expenses, new furniture, etc.  That's like both of their pre-taxed incomes 100% for a whole year.

$40k income gets slapped down real quick by taxation on payday as a worker.  Realistically, even in Texas without personal income tax, that erodes probably down to $35k ambitiously.

$35k / 12 months = $2916 a month take home.

$1200 mortgage / $2916 income = 41.15% income to mortgage.   Even if this included the property taxes, these numbers don't work, won't meet lending standards.

With that income, at 20% applied to mortgage would be $583.20 a month.  Even if we bump it to ceiling of 28% and take 100% income @ $4000 a month and assume they have $0 debts =

$4000 @ 28% = $1120.

And that scenario - tax free $4k, no debt and maximum load = $1120.

So purchase such people could make = $160k.   

Realistically, honest world = $2916 post tax take home @ 28% = $816.48 a month.   That buys $112k home with taxes included.  Mind you taxes are all mucked up all over on property.

$40k for two people fulltime busting ass at work is peanuts.  But it's within range of the median household income in Houston.   Doubt these folks are buying real estate at numbers above though.  They'd have to be mighty frugal forever.  Some folks like that... Not a ton.

Steven F

Verified Provider
On a mortgage, you're paying the interest first usually. What does this mean? In the early years of the loan, you can claim most of your mortgage payment as a tax deductible. So, you need to look at what percentage of what you're paying is interest.

Basically, this works better for young couples who will (hopefully) see wage increases and promotions. Their mortgage essentially costs less, because they're not taxed on most of their payments for the first year or two. Then it slowly ramps up.

amuck-landowner