amuck-landowner

Best free DNS hosting?

vpsnewb

Whats the best free DNS hosting for low traffic sites?

I have a small VPS that will be used for just some static content and dont wish to run my own dns server. Don't want to use cloudflare for DNS either. Anyone wanna recommend free DNS hosting?

SeriesN

Verified Provider
Guess it was my luck than. But pretty sure ddos has nothing to with complete country/region block.

vanarp

I am happy with rage4 for my simple needs. For serious needs I am already Fliphost customer and that gets me unlimited lookups for domains added through them.

Magiobiwan

Insert Witty Statement Here
Verified Provider
You can use Cloudflare for DNS only (if you don't enable the Cloudflare Cloud), and it's pretty nice. There's also Rage4, which I just moved my IRC Network over to for DNS (to get people onto the nearest server to them). 250k lookups per month free :D

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
One note about Rage4 via resellers/partners.  At last check, end users didn't have access to features like the geo-balancing.  WHCMS module didn't support it.

If you need that functionality, then go Rage4 directly vs. the partner included feature.

nunim

VPS Junkie
dns.he.net <-- Reliable, backed by a major operation, free

I've been using HE for my DNS for awhile now and I can't say I've had a single problem.

dns4.pro <-- Looks nice, haven't switched my DNS yet because no GeoIP support, but they do support DNSSEC

Rage4 seems okay but without a way to actually track your own queries I don't like their billing model.

Last edited by a moderator:

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Rage4 seems okay but without a way to actually track your own queries I don't like their billing model.
Curious here about the "way to track your own queries"... How else would you actually do that anywhere else? I am an audit freak when paying for anything by billable units, so share the criticism, but it applies to most real DNS providers.

The billing model is rather nice if you pick up the provider pricing.  For instance, 75 domains with unlimited queries is 15 euros a month.  

I changed over to that for fixed billing sake and actually reduced monthly costs since queries were high enough.

amuck-landowner