amuck-landowner

Things to consider when choosing Colocation?

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
I've got a 2U dual L5420 server collecting dust that I need to pack with drives and ship off to get connected. This will be used for a personal and backup server, so nothing "production". I've never shopped around for colo before so am curious if there is anything I should know or could easily overlook as a colo-newb. I'm interested in Colostore in South Bend, Indiana as that's about as local to me as I can get at a reasonable price but am of course open to suggestions as well.

What state does the server need to be in at the OS level before shipping it off? Only function it will serve is a Proxmox server for dev stuff, personal VPN, and the biggest chunk used for additional backups.

lowesthost

Verified Provider
Indeed  install the OS and network.  that way as soon as its racked your up and running

you cant go wrong with colostore  great bunch of folks

Last edited by a moderator:

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Yep setup the network and the OS first (for proxmox if you have more than one drive then install Debian first, setup software raid, and then install Proxmox using this guide but be forewarned, this method doesn't make the bridge, so you're going to need to manually make the bridge, so set everything up using the home network before sending it out and testing/configuring it out there).  Worst case scenario make sure they let you get a KVM on loan.  Also make sure you know how much remote hand is (unless you plan on going in yourself to take care of hardware issues).  Those are the basic ones to start off with.  

I'd suggest making sure you know how much they're charging for IP, how much for power, space, bandwidth, and all that.  

I'm assuming it's the half-depth 2U servers from Fran.  Great machines.  Mine's coloed with KS in Vegas.  If I recall correctly, those should have a max power usage of around 1.5A.  Mine runs pretty hot even on idle (61C, honestly should really be around 30 or 40 or so), so make sure to watch out for that temp and all that.  

Also watch out for tax laws as @Munzy references.  Texas recently implemented a tax law where every year you have to pay tax (like a percentage of your server's worth or something) for the colo.  I doubt there's one in Indiana but better safe than sorry (gotta know!)

mitgib

Verified Provider
Also watch out for tax laws as @Munzy references.  Texas recently implemented a tax law where every year you have to pay tax (like a percentage of your server's worth or something) for the colo.  I doubt there's one in Indiana but better safe than sorry (gotta know!)
Indiana has personal property tax as well, I remember back in the 80's when I drove a semi, I lived in Illinois at the time, and would run across other truckers from Indiana all the time, and their tax bills were huge.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Indiana has personal property tax as well, I remember back in the 80's when I drove a semi, I lived in Illinois at the time, and would run across other truckers from Indiana all the time, and their tax bills were huge.
YOU'RE STILL AROUND!  HORRAY!  

Also thanks for clearing that up.  Several people I know moved their colocations out of Texas just because of their new taxes, so that was right on my mind.  

mitgib

Verified Provider
YOU'RE STILL AROUND!  HORRAY!  

Also thanks for clearing that up.  Several people I know moved their colocations out of Texas just because of their new taxes, so that was right on my mind.  
I've been doing this since 1996, nobody is getting rid of me easily, I'll probably die first.

I also though of Missouri after making my post since they also have a personal property tax, and technically a server colo'd say in Kansas City MO would be subject to the tax, but I doubt they are as anal as TX yet. 

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
I've been doing this since 1996, nobody is getting rid of me easily, I'll probably die first.

I also though of Missouri after making my post since they also have a personal property tax, and technically a server colo'd say in Kansas City MO would be subject to the tax, but I doubt they are as anal as TX yet. 
Hm I never really bothered to investigate specifically what tax it was in Texas that applied to colo.  So I guess it's the personal property tax then eh?  Good to know.  

You are pretty awesome, there's no denying that!  

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Indeed  install the OS and network.  that way as soon as its racked your up and running

you cant go wrong with colostore  great bunch of folks
Thanks, I wasn't for sure if it'd be racked, me given KVM access to install the OS and stuff or what. So, I take it that upon ordering colo it's common for them to give you your IP/network details first so everything can be configured at home before shipping it off?

By the way, when I used SouthBendVPS I used my VM with them mostly for a VPN. All the IPs I was assigned would prevent me from using Google services and I'd always have to enter a CAPTCHA code to proceed with my search. It was a PITA and Google stated that the IP was associated with automatic queries or something previously. I think I had them reassign me an IP 2 or 3 times and all with the same result. It wasn't something that I myself could correct as it was an upstream matter. Was that an isolated thing with them or have you experienced that with ColoStore also?

Don't host it in Texas.
Wasn't planning to, really shooting to keep things in Indiana or as near me as possible. But I'm curious as to why you say that. :)

Interesting. Though I don't think it'd be too bad on a $70/mo or less colo bill. Though that is something I certainly didn't consider and appreciate the mention.

lowesthost

Verified Provider
I take it that upon ordering colo it's common for them to give you your IP/network details first so everything can be configured at home before shipping it off?
we moved our racks from cedar falls IA to Colostore last summer we requested  BGP session IP's before we shipped out a router .

it was programed before we shipped it out so it was plug in play, our other peer did the same.

By the way, when I used SouthBendVPS I used my VM with them mostly for a VPN. All the IPs I was assigned would prevent me from using Google services and I'd always have to enter a CAPTCHA code to proceed with my search
I cant tell you about colostore IP addresses  as we use our own IP space the VPN we have up works just fine with Google

Steven F

Verified Provider
You might want to find out if the facility carries/offers spare parts on-site. It can help prevent prolonged periods of downtime. While this is personal, you never know when you'll need a backup.

iWF-Jacob

Verified Provider
It really depends on your colo provider. You could have it all set up and ready to rumble, or you could have it shipped, have a KVM hooked up to it, and proceed to install OS. Does it have IPMI? Configuring that before it's shipped off would probably be a good idea.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Interesting. Though I don't think it'd be too bad on a $70/mo or less colo bill. Though that is something I certainly didn't consider and appreciate the mention.
@Munzy told me his recent/yearly tax for his server was over a hundred dollars (in Texas).  

So probably best to know how much it's going to cost ya haha.  

MattKC

Missouri won't charge ppt on Colo'd server's (not yet at least). MO is self reported for ppt billing.

AlphaNine_Vini

Verified Provider
Make sure hardware and Operating system is well setup. Use a reliable shipping agent. Keep a track on your package. Mark your package. Handle with care. So non of your memory and other part get loose during movement.

devonblzx

Verified Provider
Can't go wrong with Colostore for budget colo, we have a cage there along with Hostcolor and UnlimitedNet.  We are also joining the peering exchange that is there (GlobeIX).

Their shared colo area includes UPS power (and a diesel generator for the whole facility), a remote reboot port, and you can request a KVM usually for no charge (at least Monday-Friday). 

What state does the server need to be in at the OS level before shipping it off? Only function it will serve is a Proxmox server for dev stuff, personal VPN, and the biggest chunk used for additional backups.
For colostore, you can send it in blank if you want.  They will attach a KVM and USB key/rom to the server for you to install the OS if you need.  Most facilities though, you'll want to check with them beforehand.  Many will charge a flat fee for a KVM or if they don't offer KVM, they will charge you a flat fee for an OS install which is often a hefty price compared to you doing it at home.  This is why most servers come with a remote console / virtual media option with IPMI now.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
@Munzy told me his recent/yearly tax for his server was over a hundred dollars (in Texas).  

So probably best to know how much it's going to cost ya haha.  
Texas can die in a fire.  They still send me hate mail trying to collect bogus surcharge.   Nice of DC's down there to NOT NOTIFY CUSTOMERS. My notification was some shady looking junk mail envelope that I must have initially discarded.   Nice of DC's to GIVE PERSONAL DETAILS OF CUSTOMERS TO GOVERNMENT.  Governments who they apparently selling such details or otherwise broadcasting it to public where other annoying assholes are capturing such and then adding folks to sales, advertising, idiot lists.

I can't speak to county in Texas where Munzy has gear, but my experience was in Dallas county.

No due process, nothing.  Just a fat ahole bill for something they have no clue about, because they can.  What is someone to do?  Fight it and get a server value assessment?  Whole thing is beyond flawed.   The DC's are hiding the tax.  More folks know at the door, they'll go to other datacenters in other cities and states.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I stopped sending stuff out to colo.  

Facilities usually want gear with rack rails.  Do you have rails for your server?   Better check and ask whoever you consider if they take gear without rails.  Some facilities have generic rails they'll sell you, but they have a bad habit of never remembering to send them afterwards when you retrieve your gear.

Next, skip Texas.

If considering ColoStore, find out about them doing IP announce for clean IPs from someone else.  I've had bad / troubled IPs in that facility also.  Seems to be norm there.  ColoStore isn't Indiana, I think they backhaul everything to CHI from there.

Kansas City should be alright from your location too.   Bunch of options there also.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
I stopped sending stuff out to colo.  

Facilities usually want gear with rack rails.  Do you have rails for your server?   Better check and ask whoever you consider if they take gear without rails.  Some facilities have generic rails they'll sell you, but they have a bad habit of never remembering to send them afterwards when you retrieve your gear.
Good call.  Just letting you know though, these servers don't require rails.  They're the 1/2 depth 2 U servers Fran was giving out for free.  They're the ones that simply get bolted on (or screwed on) to the rack if I recall correctly (mine simply moved maybe 30 yards at max).

amuck-landowner