amuck-landowner

OnApp

robbyhicks

Verified Provider
Anyone have experience with OnApp?

How does their distributed storage performance & stability stand up to something like Ceph?

Serveo

Verified Provider
Here since the beginning experience with them. Regarding Onapp cloud I can say, though there have been bugs, A+ product and support. And 0 downtime over 3 years.

This is based on a Nexentastor HA storage. Regarding their storage engine I do advice to check WHT.com. I have seen there some post regarding problems after upgrades.

KuJoe

Verified Provider
All of my "cloud" VPSs that utilize OnApp have experienced more downtime than any other VPS I've ever owned and 100% of the downtime has been attributed to OnApp. It's to the point now where if I see OnApp being advertised I go elsewhere regardless of how good a deal it is. Not using OnApp is a HUGE selling point for me even if they're just running 2 SATA drives in RAID1.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
All of my "cloud" VPSs that utilize OnApp have experienced more downtime than any other VPS I've ever owned and 100% of the downtime has been attributed to OnApp. It's to the point now where if I see OnApp being advertised I go elsewhere regardless of how good a deal it is. Not using OnApp is a HUGE selling point for me even if they're just running 2 SATA drives in RAID1.
My experiences and likelihood to head the other way now when I see a provider using OnApp are similar.

The TL;DR is: the product has great features, but OnApp needs to stop releasing beta quality code as production, and they need to iron out the bugs BEFORE they release new versions

Last edited by a moderator:

Jonchun

It's what's stopping me from diving all-in to Dediserve. I've heard so many bad things about OnApp it's ridiculous.

robbyhicks

Verified Provider
Does anyone know what specifically OnApp is using for their storage platform or is it proprietary? 

Here since the beginning experience with them. Regarding Onapp cloud I can say, though there have been bugs, A+ product and support. And 0 downtime over 3 years.

This is based on a Nexentastor HA storage. Regarding their storage engine I do advice to check WHT.com. I have seen there some post regarding problems after upgrades.
How's Nexentastor working for you?

We're looking into other HA / Distributed Storage platforms at the moment, trying to figure out which would be most stable and best with self-healing.

VPSCorey

Verified Provider
With Storage there's only at this point anyways 2 choices.  OnApp IS, or SolidFire SAN.  Both have pros and con's.  3rd Party SAN's have no deep integration so you lose out on disk resizing I believe, but other operations should work.  Check with OnApp in either case.

Serveo

Verified Provider
Sorry, we are running 3 years without downtime. I guess you never really used a good cluster in that case ;)

Does anyone know what specifically OnApp is using for their storage platform or is it proprietary? 

How's Nexentastor working for you?

We're looking into other HA / Distributed Storage platforms at the moment, trying to figure out which would be most stable and best with self-healing.
I would advice you to stay away from Nexentastor nowadays. We specified our whole setup with their engineers prior to the investment in the cluster. After 15k of licenses alone, they removed 80% of our hardware (yes we use SAS enterprise grade hardware) from their HCL (hardware compliant list). As renewing support is senseless we decided now to move back to "simple" SSD SATA nodes with a distributed / HA setup. Same uptime, faster and on the long run cheaper. SAS ssd's are to insane with 2k a drive.

Next to that the whole userbase abandoned Nexenta, I would advice to check OSnexus! ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:

softsyshosting

Verified Provider
OnApp has been quite stable with us (have been with them for around 3 years now). They do lack few critical features like booting VM from iso to make it a complete product but we are just hoping it would be done soon. Most of the providers who have had issues with OnApp are probably trying to cut their costs by using non-enterprise grade hardware for one or more of their tiers. It will also be worthy to mention that we have stayed away from OnApp IS - a redundant physical SAN (Dell EQL) works great and solid for us!

William

pr0
Verified Provider
Most OnApp issues are based on SAN problems - Use your own implementations (i.e. ZFS and InfiniBand) or Dell/HP ready-made systems and it is quite a stable system.

No ISO boot (supported by the others, SolusVM and Proxmox to name a few) and no image import (also lacking in SolusVM and Proxmox) are a killer for me though.

Xen itself is nice as well, much newer kernels than with OpenVZ.

amuck-landowner