amuck-landowner

Competitive Pricing?

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Sure, anyone can offer anything.  It is an unregulated market.

This is really a topic that would get better input on Lowendtalk.com. That I guarantee.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mohammed H

Hello,

yeah your prices seems very competitive . however you might want tell your clients about your VIrtualization platform (KVM,OpenVZ,XEN,etc...) and also what is the panel they will get (SolusVM,OnApp,etc...)

Highest Regards

Mohammed H

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
woundering if the prices I have are right enough and can work with the market today?
"Right enough" depends on your target customer/market.  The $3.99/1GB you're charging would probably attract low end customers, but the low prices would scare off the type of customers who don't think twice about paying Peer1 $81 for 1GB.

"Right enough" also depends on you asking yourself "can I turn a profit at these prices"

Last edited by a moderator:

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
"Right enough" depends on your target customer/market.  The $3.99/1GB you're charging would probably attract low end customers, but the low prices would scare off the type of customers who don't think twice about paying Peer1 $81 for 1GB.

"Right enough" also depends on you asking yourself "can I turn a profit at these prices"
So his idea is ~$4/GB KVM?  :) Well if education / relative experience, guess that's a good pursuit.  It's not business viable.

$4 = 1GB of RAM and 80GB of disk chewed up and out.

5GB + 400GB disk @ $20/mo

8 threads per = 16 threads in sales pool - it's a dual quad.

If

48GB box = $192 income/mo

72GB box = $288 income/mo

Minus all costs, rental, bandwidth, etc.  Would have to be 1TB drives most likely.  1.7TB RAID 10 =  1700 / 80 = 21 sales per box if all smallest buys.

21 x 4 = $84 income/mo

Even if 2TB RAID-10 = what?  42 containers @ $4 per = $168 income/mo.

Box like that lucky to bring on raw sales $200/mo.  Depends on how cheap the server is to rent.  Can't be < $100/mo.  Profit maximum (which isn't happening) = $100 a month.    Lots of work for $100.

Criot

Verified Provider
If you're aiming for the low end market then sure, but you need to make sure your prices are sustainable. If you have to oversell to give them prices, you'll soon get a bad reputation and lose clients. You're better off having higher prices (and therefore better quality services) than what you are overselling. Brand reputation makes a lot of difference in this industry.

devonblzx

Verified Provider
Updated http://boxcwebsites.com/vps.html .

Sorry, the website got a new design and new pricing. I though these pricing might be better :/
Just my opinion as a customer and provider over the past decade, I've never been fond of the unlimited bandwidth statement.   Unmetered possibly, but then you should also clarify somewhere what the expected usage is.  For instance, you're obviously not going to allow 30TB of outbound transfer for $5.99/month, are you?  I don't see any reference to unlimited in your terms, could cause legal trouble.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Just my opinion as a customer and provider over the past decade, I've never been fond of the unlimited bandwidth statement.   Unmetered possibly, but then you should also clarify somewhere what the expected usage is.  For instance, you're obviously not going to allow 30TB of outbound transfer for $5.99/month, are you?  I don't see any reference to unlimited in your terms, could cause legal trouble.
Count me in on this.  I scold providers all the time about such.

The only thing unlimited is the bullshit companies will toss at customers attempting to make a sale.

Munzy

I think you should lower it, my suggestion as a possible future customer is:

16 CPU Cores

60GB RAM

6TBs HDD

Unmetered 1GBps Bandwidth

all for the low price of $15 / month

Thanks for reading and thoroughly considering my proposal.

VENETX

Looking over at your website right now and it seems youre right in the ball park for Low End Users but could become a problem if you cannot make money off the server.

Then you will have to "oversell" and clients will start complaining and then its when the bad reputation will come into play.

makan

Just my opinion as a customer and provider over the past decade, I've never been fond of the unlimited bandwidth statement. Unmetered possibly, but then you should also clarify somewhere what the expected usage is. For instance, you're obviously not going to allow 30TB of outbound transfer for $5.99/month, are you? I don't see any reference to unlimited in your terms, could cause legal trouble.
Thanks! I will look into changing it to Unmetered :)

Count me in on this. I scold providers all the time about such.

The only thing unlimited is the bullshit companies will toss at customers attempting to make a sale.
LOL. Thanks for the suggestion :D

I think you should lower it, my suggestion as a possible future customer is:

16 CPU Cores

60GB RAM

6TBs HDD

Unmetered 1GBps Bandwidth

all for the low price of $15 / month

Thanks for reading and thoroughly considering my proposal.
o_O With that pricing, the whole world will be on that website!

All sarcasms and inside jokes aside...

Good luck on your venture.
Thank you! Have a good luck with any projects you have!

Ha, he is going to need it!
Agreed!

Not a good marketing point to have in bold red print on your plans page. You're essentially saying 7 hours downtime per month. I'd change that. :)
Well, it is more like Up to 99% :) Most of the time, it is 99.96%, but we never know what happens. We can't promise something that we possibly couldn't do :)

Looking over at your website right now and it seems you're right in the ballpark for Low-End Users but could become a problem if you cannot make money on the server.

Then you will have to "oversell" and clients will start complaining and then its when the bad reputation will come into play.
Nah. We can make more than enough money to pay off for server payments. We don't oversell or anything! Some days ago we had to wait a day to add a hard drive to a server so we can set up clients VPS and we don't oversell!

I have made a couple dozen sales so far so we are in the right path for now!

haloelite3

Your prices seem acceptable - however may offer some promotions now and then to gain more customers?

This is just a suggestion. Also your price varies on your target audience.

Hope this helps!

amuck-landowner