amuck-landowner

optimal stripe size for shared hosting

camarg

I'm setting up a new server, the storage is based on a LSI 9260-4i with bbu and 4 x 480GB samsung ssd datacenter edition and I will use raid 10. The server will be used for shared hosting. Usually up until now, I have been using 128KB stripe size on all my previous servers used for shared hosting with raid10 on sas disks.

When I create a new raid10 virtual drive the controller suggests 256 KB strip size, so I would get 512KB stripe size on a raid10 with 4 hdd. As far as I know a smaller stripe size would be be preferable on a server used for shared hosting since it mostly has random reads. On the other hand I have read (on forums, not on official documentation) that the stripe size should always be bigger than the readahead value of the OS, my readahead will be 256KB.

What stripe size do you use for a server used for shared hosting?

devonblzx

Verified Provider
For SSDs, I don't think it matters as much.

Larger stripe sizes can be better for random reads as well as sequential reads when running shared hosting.  This is because a small read will only cause one disk to seek, and the other disks are available for another read to another area.

For an SSD, seek times really aren't applicable so I think you're putting too much thought into it, stick with the default.

Last edited by a moderator:
amuck-landowner