amuck-landowner

Multi Virtualization

Mayers

Verified Provider
So I got an email today from Virtualizor today.

The Virtualizor Team has released Virtualizor 2.7.2
This version has some cool new features and some bug fixes.
The following is a list of changes in this version:

1) [Feature] With this version, Virtualizor now supports Multi Virtualization i.e. OpenVZ and KVM VMs can be created on the same node. Enabling Multi Virtualization is very simple and Virtualizor has a wizard to enable the same. Also the new WHMCS module has been launched for the same. You can read the wiki for more details :
http://www.virtualizor.com/wiki/Multi_Virtualization
I was wondering if anyone has ever tried this with any of the other control panels? Would you ever be willing to try this?

Geek

Technolojesus
Verified Provider
Yeah I made a topic of it yesterday when I was half asleep. :p

I have a demo license and Virtualizor installed on a test box, and hope to prove how ludicrous this concept is by the end of the week. 

Mayers

Verified Provider
Yeah I made a topic of it yesterday when I was half asleep. :p

I have a demo license and Virtualizor installed on a test box, and hope to prove how ludicrous this concept is by the end of the week. 
Ah I missed that! I get the idea behind it but I'm not sure if I'd be willing to try it myself. I think i'd opt to just setup a new node dedicated to KVM.

Navyn

Verified Provider
Nice to see this feature now available in virtulizer want to see this in solusvm also.

Hope solusvm team will also work for this feature .

Licensecart

Nice to see this feature now available in virtulizer want to see this in solusvm also.

Hope solusvm team will also work for this feature .
I hope not, every system admin knows you should NEVER mix virtualizations together. It's asking for trouble.

Last edited by a moderator:

rmlhhd

Verified Provider
Hmm your all looking at this wrong, I don't know how Virtualizor handles its virtualization methods since I've never used it but Proxmox has supported KVM and OpenVZ VMs in the same node for years without issues just you hardly ever see VPS hosts using it since they're either too cheap to buy the module for whmcs or they don't like the modules panel.

Licensecart

Hmm your all looking at this wrong, I don't know how Virtualizor handles its virtualization methods since I've never used it but Proxmox has supported KVM and OpenVZ VMs in the same node for years without issues just you hardly ever see VPS hosts using it since they're either too cheap to buy the module for whmcs or they don't like the modules panel.
So your saying Proxmox doesn't have issues and what happens if a virtualization breaks? You can just use the other one and fix the broken one?

rmlhhd

Verified Provider
So your saying Proxmox doesn't have issues and what happens if a virtualization breaks? You can just use the other one and fix the broken one?
Of course it has issues but you can still use KVM if OpenVZ was broken and OpenVZ if KVM is broken and yes you could fix one while the other is broken providing the node doesn't require a reboot.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Interesting topic.

Graphically speaking how does this work on the server?  Does the bare metal layer literally spin up nested dual instances - one for KVM one for SolusVM?   That seems to be the approach on most things. 

The concept seems fine for fully virtualized options.  Things like OpenVZ not being virtualized fully seem less optimal in this model cocenptually.

I guess if dual "containers" with that virt nested in that space and hard limited only real issue is collision of resources which should be capped anyways.  If isolated properly then no big issue.

I think it's a compelling feature, yet to be proven.  Definitely exciting for companies with handful of nodes and lack of sales wanting to try other virtualization options without full server investment.

mitgib

Verified Provider
I think it's a compelling feature, yet to be proven. 

Proxmox has had this feature for years, it's long past proven.  They run the OpenVZ kernel and then modprobe kvm-[intel|amd]

The latest feature from Proxmox is ZFS and Ceph storage for KVM, KVM using DBR for Ceph storage and I have my test going, and it is pretty darn nice. I am getting faster disk access speeds via network storage thin provisioning than I do from Virtualizor and thin provisioning on local raid storage.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Proxmox is pretty a-okay... unsure why more folks aren't considering it, using it, etc.  

Ceph remains all the rage.  Nice interconnect on backplane for faster than local RAID.

mitgib

Verified Provider
Proxmox is pretty a-okay... unsure why more folks aren't considering it, using it, etc.  

Ceph remains all the rage.  Nice interconnect on backplane for faster than local RAID.
Proxmox is on my short list to replace SolusVM, Virtualizor was on that list, but their support makes SolusVM look like the A-Team.

In the past 5 years I can't remember needing support for the basic functions of the virtualization, but I have needed support for features that always seems to get out without proper vetting.  Softaculous (Virtualizor) support was a nightmare that I really do not wish to live through again, so of the one brand I moved over to it, it is only a few nodes, my usual test case.

I was pretty thrilled with OpenStack, but the networking with OpenvSwitch had me scratching me head. I had it working pretty well, but only with NAT for the floating IP's

Ceph is more than cool, and since Proxmox was first to use it in a lighterweight package, they really are leaps ahead of SolusVM and Virtualizor. They do have their own set of oddities, like they can't see a reason why anyone would want base OS templates for KVM, but that is easy enough to work around.  

GS-Dylan

Proxmox is on my short list to replace SolusVM, Virtualizor was on that list, but their support makes SolusVM look like the A-Team.

In the past 5 years I can't remember needing support for the basic functions of the virtualization, but I have needed support for features that always seems to get out without proper vetting.  Softaculous (Virtualizor) support was a nightmare that I really do not wish to live through again, so of the one brand I moved over to it, it is only a few nodes, my usual test case.

I was pretty thrilled with OpenStack, but the networking with OpenvSwitch had me scratching me head. I had it working pretty well, but only with NAT for the floating IP's

Ceph is more than cool, and since Proxmox was first to use it in a lighterweight package, they really are leaps ahead of SolusVM and Virtualizor. They do have their own set of oddities, like they can't see a reason why anyone would want base OS templates for KVM, but that is easy enough to work around.  

I dealt with Virtutalizor support on and off for a few weeks myself and I pray I never have to talk to them again. Was literally the worst support I've ever received. Honestly them not responding would have been better than the garbage they did claim to be support.

River

Verified Provider
I think that It's a really interesting concept. It would allow you to (better) utilize nodes. However, It would have to be setup all correctly as aforementioned.

William

pr0
Verified Provider
both proxmox and virtualizor limit you to  a 2.6 kernel then though, so no shiny new kvm features.

mitgib

Verified Provider
both proxmox and virtualizor limit you to  a 2.6 kernel then though, so no shiny new kvm features.
root@e3rh01:~# uname -a

Linux e3rh01 3.10.0-8-pve #1 SMP Sat Mar 14 14:46:55 CET 2015 x86_64 GNU/Linux

root@e3rh01:~#

This kernel does not support OpenVZ yet, but all the nice new KVM features. Now that OpenVZ has been released for RHEL/CentOS 7 I expect proxmox will not be far behind.

For now the easy work around is run OpenVZ nodes in nested KVM

X3host

Verified Provider
This is an amazing tool but i can't use it now on my hosting as i think it's a beta version or ( I'll think that ) until become safe for me to use it. and i hope solusvm team work on this feature it's very cool.

Licensecart

This is an amazing tool but i can't use it now on my hosting as i think it's a beta version or ( I'll think that ) until become safe for me to use it. and i hope solusvm team work on this feature it's very cool.
They won't work on it because they have brains :)

amuck-landowner