amuck-landowner

Wich virtualization is most effective/stable/fast for MS Windows?

ICPH

In Your oppinion which virtualization (Linux based) is best for running VPS with Windows 7, Windows 2012?

I thought i will setup KVM and Proxmox. But i never setup VPS with Windows as a remote desktop.

So what do you think would be best, cost free way to do this?

I will have Linux and SSH access available on host server. Thank you

Gang Starr

Sure, KVM. Free solution (if you don't count the hardware (including electricity & Internet) and Windows license costs). KVM imho is one of the best hardware virts.

Be ready and get Virtio drivers for Windows and sideload them with the Windows ISO.

Last edited by a moderator:

OnMichael

Probably the best virtualization solution for Windows guests is Hyper-V. KVM almost works without any problems, but in the past we saw problems (like blue screens inside the guests) with KVM probably based on virtio driver problems or other driver issues from KVM/qemu. That should not happen when using Hyper-V.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Yeah if you're virtualizing Windows 2012 VM's then HyperV on Windows 2012R2 is the way to go.

They have it heavily tuned and if you have a datacenter license on the host node, it automatically activates the VM's.

Francisco

Onra Host

Verified Provider
If you can't get on a Hyper-v Setup, while most people would say KVM... I've never had any issues  myself, or with any clients running Windows on a  Xen-HVM platform. 

amuck-landowner